Speculation: All Bruins trade proposals/rumors XIII:Things looking Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
if buffalo retained half of staffords salary, they could. kassian and sekera both make very little. and i agree, doubt they will make the moves but just saying that for them to really be considered a threat to win the cup, they will need to do at least that much. even with those moves, i doubt they beat the habs.

I'd love to see sekera in bruins jersey, I think 2 is a max for them, sekera+stafford duo would be nice. I think with these moves it'd be close, Krecji has a big part on that also, they were silenced last time.

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
Riding out the team "as is" gets us 2nd round bounce at best. If they expect fans to sit around for 2 years and watch "the core" toil in mediocrity because they "can't" make moves or improve within the cap that is garbage. If that is true and Chia is the one who has tied our hands then he must go. Otherwise he better get creative!!

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Riding out the team "as is" gets us 2nd round bounce at best. If they expect fans to sit around for 2 years and watch "the core" toil in mediocrity because they "can't" make moves or improve within the cap that is garbage. If that is true and Chia is the one who has tied our hands then he must go. Otherwise he better get creative!!

Not among the Off With His Head throng. Remember too that while responsible for management miscues, Chia hasn't been alone in making them. There have been unquestionably good moves - Ryder, Kelly, Peverly, Horton & Seidenberg all contributed in significant fashion to the Cup championship. If you,re a conspiracy theorist, you can add Chara & (in terms of bringing in scoring, Savard) to that equation. And, PC & Co. also deserve credit for reversing course on Dave Lewis & hiring an excellent, undeniably successful coach in Claude Julien.

The mistakes & misjugements are undeniable as well: poor drafting (other than no brainers like Seguin, Hamilton and Pastrnak); overestimating the ability & development of prospects, leaving the team thin in depth & consequently vulnerable to even a very few injuries, never mind a raft of them; failure to acquire effective depth (Mezaros, Potter, Satan, Jagr, et. al.), never mind top shelf scoring (save Iggy); dealing 4D Johnny Rocket, no Bobby Orr but an important "tangible" on the ice & "intangible" in the room, sending a terrible message to the room & to the fans; and, finally, though I admire a propensity toward deliberation & patience, a lack of urgency that may cost the club as its core group grows older while management stands still. I could add the "too much $, too much term, too many NMCs," but am less certain these factors constitute bad judgement.

In the event, not optimistic. Again, barring a significant upgrade - don't ask me how - the Bruins are no longer among the NHL elite. The depressing bit is that without that substantial upgrade or retool, it's difficult to see how things will get better within the next few years.

It's just a game, after all, but somewhat bummed at present. :(

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I just don't see the doom and gloom. When I look around the conference the only team that really scares me is Pitt, and they underachieve most years.

Montreal has been a bad matchup for this team, but I believe a lot of that is self inflicted. I don't believe Montreal is really superior in talent.

I think Boston could benefit a great deal by finding a second pairing defenseman, and a depth forward

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River

That's between 3-6 home playoff dates. Probably enough for Charles In Charge.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I just don't see the doom and gloom. When I look around the conference the only team that really scares me is Pitt, and they underachieve most years.

Montreal has been a bad matchup for this team, but I believe a lot of that is self inflicted. I don't believe Montreal is really superior in talent.

I think Boston could benefit a great deal by finding a second pairing defenseman, and a depth forward

I agree but I am liking the second pairing of Seidenberg and McQuaid more and more. It is not a combination I thought could work and early on it didn't look good but they have really improved. I just can't see any team in the Eastern Conference that is a clear threat to destroy all the other teams. 1-8 anyone of those teams could get hot at the right time and make it to the finals. I certainly agree that PC has to improve the hockey club at the deadline but if Rask gets hot this team could have a deep playoff run.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I agree but I am liking the second pairing of Seidenberg and McQuaid more and more. It is not a combination I thought could work and early on it didn't look good but they have really improved. I just can't see any team in the Eastern Conference that is a clear threat to destroy all the other teams. 1-8 anyone of those teams could get hot at the right time and make it to the finals. I certainly agree that PC has to improve the hockey club at the deadline but if Rask gets hot this team could have a deep playoff run.

Both Chara and Siedenberg are both getting better injury and fitness wise.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Not among the Off With His Head throng. Remember too that while responsible for management miscues, Chia hasn't been alone in making them. There have been unquestionably good moves - Ryder, Kelly, Peverly, Horton & Seidenberg all contributed in significant fashion to the Cup championship. If you,re a conspiracy theorist, you can add Chara & (in terms of bringing in scoring, Savard) to that equation. And, PC & Co. also deserve credit for reversing course on Dave Lewis & hiring an excellent, undeniably successful coach in Claude Julien.

The mistakes & misjugements are undeniable as well: poor drafting (other than no brainers like Seguin, Hamilton and Pastrnak); overestimating the ability & development of prospects, leaving the team thin in depth & consequently vulnerable to even a very few injuries, never mind a raft of them; failure to acquire effective depth (Mezaros, Potter, Satan, Jagr, et. al.), never mind top shelf scoring (save Iggy); dealing 4D Johnny Rocket, no Bobby Orr but an important "tangible" on the ice & "intangible" in the room, sending a terrible message to the room & to the fans; and, finally, though I admire a propensity toward deliberation & patience, a lack of urgency that may cost the club as its core group grows older while management stands still. I could add the "too much $, too much term, too many NMCs," but am less certain these factors constitute bad judgement.

In the event, not optimistic. Again, barring a significant upgrade - don't ask me how - the Bruins are no longer among the NHL elite. The depressing bit is that without that substantial upgrade or retool, it's difficult to see how things will get better within the next few years.

It's just a game, after all, but somewhat bummed at present. :(

He made a cup winning team. He should get the chance to fix the problems that hamper this team right now. Another GM isn't going to any better. He's been on the phone constantly. I don't think he should make a move to satisfy this boards hunger for any move at any cost. He deserves our trust that he can get out of this funk the team is on. They are playing much better lately. Because of this, I think he will be in better position to make a proper move.

Last edited:

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
When I look at the standings and see the Bruins are only 7 points out of first place I have a had time seeing all the gloom and doom many here see.

The injury bug hit the Bruins hard this year.

Many players not playing to expectations.

Going into the season down a top 6 RW and a top 4 D.

And after all of that only seven pointsout of first, if you think about it , you can even say it's remarkable.

With the right trade at the right time, a trip to the SCF is not out of the question.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC

By depth forward I hope you mean top 6 forward. Smith is a 3rd liner and should play with soderberg and eriksson. We can't expect pastrnak to be perfect as a 1st line option but we probably have no choice. Bergeron and Marchand need a solid right wing, plain and simple. This team NEEDS a top 4 dman and top 6 forward minimum to have any hope in the playoffs. But knowing chiarelli he will grab gleason and stewart and this team will somehow be even slower.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
We can all see the couple flaws on our team... what many dont acknowledge is other teams flaws. Those wishing for a guarantee of winning the cup need to remember 27 teams failed and only 3 succeeded. We were 1 of the winners but every team in league failed more than won.

No team in nhl won more than twice in past 10 years. More than 2/3 of league havent won in past 15 seasons.

Those wanting a guarantee are doomed for disappointments

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
By depth forward I hope you mean top 6 forward. Smith is a 3rd liner and should play with soderberg and eriksson. We can't expect pastrnak to be perfect as a 1st line option but we probably have no choice. Bergeron and Marchand need a solid right wing, plain and simple. This team NEEDS a top 4 dman and top 6 forward minimum to have any hope in the playoffs. But knowing chiarelli he will grab gleason and stewart and this team will somehow be even slower.

Stewart is not actually slow. When he decides to skate, the guy can skate.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

So can everyone else in the league.

Based on his years of history, I'm not going to let one shift sway anything. You can find videos of Chara dangling and skating around people. Remember that goal Pouliot scored against Florida? They're both slow as hell.

I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing Stewart for 3rd line depth, but he's a minor pickup that does not solve much and I wouldn't want to give anything more than a 2nd to get him, and hope that a change of scenery gets him to actually give a ****.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa

Based on his years of history, I'm not going to let one shift sway anything. You can find videos of Chara dangling and skating around people. Remember that goal Pouliot scored against Florida? They're both slow as hell.

I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing Stewart for 3rd line depth, but he's a minor pickup that does not solve much and I wouldn't want to give anything more than a 2nd to get him, and hope that a change of scenery gets him to actually give a ****.

Pouliot isnt slow at all, and is having another really good year in Edm.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

You can find videos of Chara skating like that, but they wouldn't be from a game against the Habs last November (like that video). They'd be from years ago. That's the difference.

Edit: I actually don't think they should give away the farm to get Stewart, either. But I think the price will inevitably come down somewhat. I could see Bartkowski or Spooner plus a second.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Eriksson, Smith, Morrow, and a pick for Seguin

lines next year

Lucic-Krejci-Pastrnak

Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin

young, fast, scorers on the wing- do it Chia

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Eriksson, Smith, Morrow, and a pick for Seguin

lines next year

Lucic-Krejci-Pastrnak

Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin

young, fast, scorers on the wing- do it Chia

Would be fantastic. Though, Dallas wouldn't touch that trade. :D

(A shoe-in for the best top two lines in the league).

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

But there just aren't guys available who are better second line forwards than Smith. Sure Oshie would have been better than Smith, but STL was only looking for a deal where they made their team better this year, so Boston would have had to surrender a better player to get him

Then there are the 2 Edmonton guys Hall and Eberle, who are clearly better, but they cost 4X as much and would cost and absurd price to acquire

So at best Boston is left with a Stafford, Stewart, Ryder, etc and those guys are depth forwards. Skate on the 4th line, and maybe move up for a game here and there

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014

Nice way to defeat yourself.

That will soon become a starter for threads here.

I am not in favor of getting players that need a kick in the S to perform.

Is PC trying to fill up top 6 spots by over stocking the cupboard on the bottom 6?

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Would be fantastic. Though, Dallas wouldn't touch that trade. :D

(A shoe-in for the best top two lines in the league).
i dont think lucic krejci pastrnak is better than kunitz crosby perron; schenn giroux voracek; nash stepan st louis; drouin stamkos callahan; maroon getzlaf perry; abdelkader datsyuk zetterberg; steen backes oshie; sharp toews hossa...

but maybe thats just the realist in me.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
But there just aren't guys available who are better second line forwards than Smith. Sure Oshie would have been better than Smith, but STL was only looking for a deal where they made their team better this year, so Boston would have had to surrender a better player to get him

Then there are the 2 Edmonton guys Hall and Eberle, who are clearly better, but they cost 4X as much and would cost and absurd price to acquire

So at best Boston is left with a Stafford, Stewart, Ryder, etc and those guys are depth forwards. Skate on the 4th line, and maybe move up for a game here and there
i think stafford is better than smith and a good fit on the 2nd line. to me he is an upgrade there and moving kelly to the 4th line upgrades the 4th line.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
i dont think lucic krejci pastrnak is better than kunitz crosby perron; schenn giroux voracek; nash stepan st louis; drouin stamkos callahan; maroon getzlaf perry; abdelkader datsyuk zetterberg; steen backes oshie; sharp toews hossa...

but maybe thats just the realist in me.

I meant a combination of the top two lines.

Maybe only Chicago (with Kane on 2nd) or Pittsburgh (with Malkin on 2nd) could offer a second line to contend against a Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin line (Seguin, the 2014-2015 version).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad