All Alfredsson Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This thread has devolved fast.

I don't know why Im responding to your "he'll take our Sens to Seattle" threat. but here she goes.

First of all Bettman will not let teams (especially Canadian ones) go now. Hell look how hard he's fought to keep phoenix, and how he brought back a franchise to Winnipeg.

Melnyk messed up initially and was too slow to make amends.
BINGO and we lost our legacy player and great guy in the community because of this:handclap:

FightingIrish

Total Lak of Respek
Aug 30, 2010
Ottawa
I appreciate everything he's done for this city and franchise.

But in the end, **** him.. He doesn't want to be here.

It's a beginning of a new era, embrace it.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
The worst of it is, he didn't even bother to negotiate. Didn't tell Murray what he wanted. Didn't talk to anyone while hiding out in Sweden. You'd think as our captain he would provide more input if he saw anything wrong? Nope, tucked his tail between his legs and secretly bailed to a deal with Detroit. Nothing said to the fanbase, nothing said to the team.

I dont buy Murray's spin doctoring. There is another side to this story.

What Murray said prior to and during negotiations are quite different than what he said in that final press conference.

He did refer to another player that he had lost for another organization. Sounds
somewhat similar to what happened with Alfie.

http://viewfrommyseats.com/2010/08/can-kariya-ever-go-home/

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

In leaving he still gave to this town ,he opened our eyes to real tradgey going on with our team

BK201

Apr 11, 2011

Beginning of a new Era for sure but everyone is reporting he was disrespected by sens ownership.

and left accordingly. it's really too bad they didn't treat him like the face of the franchise he was.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
*sigh* :shakehead

Sad day in the world when everyone runs with the false story from a blogger. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time the "real" journalists were made to be fools by reporting what they see in a random blog. :laugh:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

What Murray said prior to and during negotiations are quite different than what he said in that final press conference.

He did refer to another player that he had lost for another organization. Sounds

BM is a go between betwen players and management,it flows from both ends for him both good and bad .

I dont blame him ,I blame ownership for not being here to make sure that things were taken care of as they should have been with alfie

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I don't blame management. When Alfie decided he would come back, getting a contract done was going to happen, right away or months from now, because it's a pretty damn safe assumption that Alfie would return to the Sens no matter what.

I believe the management when they said they didn't know Alfie leaving was even a possibility.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
*sigh* :shakehead

Sad day in the world when everyone runs with the false story from a blogger. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time the "real" journalists were made to be fools by reporting what they see in a random blog. :laugh:
Funny this random blogger is probably one ,that I have read from time to time .But i have yet to see concrete proof that what he is hypothosising isnt true .But what i have seen is me get smoked by the same group of posters here everytime i bring it up or even discuss it,and that i believe its true:nod:

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008

I don't believe Murray would be the type of person to lie about anything. When you're negotiating a deal, especially for a guy with 17 seasons here, you won't think that he will turn tail the second that you propose what range is reasonable or not.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Not sure if posted but the Hitler is mad about Alfie is pretty funny :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
I think Alfie is great.
I think he deserves a shot at the cup.
Detroit isn't bound by a budget.
For 4.5 million you can get a young scorer and have him for a longer term than Alfie.
You CANNOT be a cup winner on the budget.

TheOriginalSilf*

I heard Melnyk eats puppies and craps out Hitler.

Any truth to these rumors?

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
I think its pretty clear that what upsets people most is what they thought of him was wrong. They thought he cared as much about the team as they do about him. People put WAAAAAAAAY too much faith in him (the whole god shtick anyone?), and he didnt live up to it. Ottawa has always been a small market wedged between the two biggest markets. Through all the **** from leaf and Habs fans Alfie has been a constant "yeah...we made it. Look at Alfie". Now he has ****ed us over.

He made it abundantly clear that the Sens were just an employer. He made it clear that he doesnt care about his legacy...he doesnt care if you like him. This is just a job.

It almost feels like you are being ridiculed by the person you worshiped. Hes throwing it all back at you saying none of it is important. We have seen it before...but Alfie was different. Alfie was above all that. It truly was about bleeding for the team for him. At least thats what we thought.

Ill probably never view a hockey player the same way again. Its an eye opener. They dont give a ****.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I don't believe Murray would be the type of person to lie about anything. When you're negotiating a deal, especially for a guy with 17 seasons here, you won't think that he will turn tail the second that you propose what range is reasonable or not.

I think Murray is a first class spin doctor.

Listen to what he said in the interview the day before and in interviews during negotiations and what he said the pres conference after Alfie left.

The day before he said that he gave Alfie a blank cheque.

It came out that there was the dickering gong on-6M 2 years vs vs 4 mil one year.
Alfie agreed to 1 year and then instead of meeting in the middle at 5, Murray refused to give a number and told Alfie to pick some more acceptable number.

That is not giving him a blank cheque and that is okay but that was the story he first tried to peddle.

Same goes for bringing in new players He said just before that there was a certain amount of money they could either pay to Alfie or someone else.

In the press conference after he implied that they were ready to both pay Alfie and bring in Ryan which is a direct contradiction to what he had said in previous interviews. If he mentioned bringing in Ryan you have to wonder if it was part of the negotiations-we can bring him in but only if you accept less-something Alfie has always done.

And it was pretty clear that there was to be no push for s Cup here.

As Friedman says, players dont like to be taken advantage of especially those who have taken a financial hit to benefit their teams.

What message does this send to other players-accept less pay for your entire tenure here and instead of rewarding you, we will expect the same thing until you leave.

It is no secret that the Red Wings are known for treating their players with respect
especially their veterans. You have to think that counted for something.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I'll always appreciate what he did in Ottawa, but the manner in which he left the team has left with me with a terrible taste in my mouth. I hope we get further than the red wings in the playoffs and if we have to play them, I hope Bobby, Spezza, and Karlsson light their crappy defense up. Be nice to see Neil level Alfredsson too.

It was a shock but maybe this is the gutpunch Murray and Melnyk need to make us competitive and loosen the purse strings from hereon in. The cap is probably going up...so unless Melnyk wants to be near the floor, at some point he WILL have to spend more than $50,000,000. Maybe, in a poorly executed way, this is what Alfredsson was trying to communicate.

exv91

Oct 13, 2011
To be honest, I'm feeling a bit shocked and upset about alfie's departure, but at the same time I think the sens dodged a bullet. Alfie wasn't doing much last season and I would rather see him go elsewhere if it means the team can spend money on other younger players. The sad part is alfie will be remembered for the way he left the most, rather than all the good things he did for Ottawa through the years. As for being booed in the scotiabank place, I think he's already used to it.

TheOriginalSilf*

Apparently GM's aren't allowed to negotiate with their players. Bryan Murray was just supposed to start things off with "alright Daniel, we'll give you $5.5 million"? No, that's not how negotiating works.

JP Barry and Alfredsson left Murray in the dark entirely after one conversation where little was even discussed. Alfredsson didn't give Murray or this organization a chance to do anything. No contact past the initial conversation with Barry until Alfredsson had already made up his mind.

This wasn't about money. This wasn't about being "low-balled" (which he wasn't). This about Alfredsson giving up on his team. Plain and simple.

You guys can spin it any way you like. Doesn't change the truth.

KarlssonMarx

Be Red
Mar 1, 2012
Halifax
I think the most likely explanation is that Alfie must have dropped some acid last weekend and it just completely changed how he viewed his life, his place on the team, his place in the community, and pretty much everything else.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
I think Murray is a first class spin doctor.

Listen to what he said in the interview the day before and in interviews during negotiations and what he said the pres conference after Alfie left.

The day before he said that he gave Alfie a blank cheque.

It came out that there was the dickering gong on-6M 2 years vs vs 4 mil one year.
Alfie agreed to 1 year and then instead of meeting in the middle at 5, Murray refused to give a number and told Alfie to pick some more acceptable number.

That is not giving him a blank cheque and that is okay but that was the story he first tried to peddle.

Same goes for bringing in new players He said just before that there was a certain amount of money they could either pay to Alfie or someone else.

In the press conference after he implied that they were ready to both pay Alfie and bring in Ryan which is a direct contradiction to what he had said in previous interviews. If he mentioned bringing in Ryan you have to wonder if it was part of the negotiations-we can bring him in but only if you accept less-something Alfie has always done.

And it was pretty clear that there was to be no push for s Cup here.

As Friedman says, players dont like to be taken advantage of especially those who have taken a financial hit to benefit their teams.

What message does this send to other players-accept less pay for your entire tenure here and instead of rewarding you, we will expect the same thing until you leave.

It is no secret that the Red Wings are known for treating their players with respect
especially their veterans. You have to think that counted for something.

You're spinning things now. This is all speculation by Friedman or other reporters. I did listen to all the interviews and press conferences, nothing Alfie or Murray said even hinted at Murray lowballing him. The only thing we know for sure is that Barry told Murray to say a number, and then Murray told him that's not how it should work. Murray told Barry to ask Alfie what he wants, and then Alfie + Barry never responded.

Even if we pretended that Murray lowballed him (Keep in mind that Alfie only earns 3.5m guaranteed before bonuses with Detroit), then it's Alfredssons fault that there's too much sand in his vagina to realize that that's how negotiating works in a cap league that he's played 17 years in. It's called negotiations for a reason. It's not like they talked 5 times and Murray wouldn't budge.
Unless Alfredssons naive enough to think that Murray would OFFER 6M from the getgo, then you're making something out of nothing.

Murray and Alfie have been friends for years. They're good friends on a first name basis, and for Alfredsson to snub Murray after calls after calls, and have his agent ignore Murrays 5+ calls and texts, ONLY to call Murray after his decision has been made the day before FA, who do you think should be insulted? Who was making to calls to get the deal done? Who was making an effort for Alfie to stay on the team? Not Alfie. He made up his mind, didn't respond to Murray who just wanted to know 1 number this entire time, and told our team the day before FA "big whoop I'm leaving, sorry I didn't negotiate or tell you earlier"

He turned tail on this team. He didn't bother to even come to the table. It's time for some fans to face the facts. He's not a god, no matter how much we were making him out to be.

Last edited:

pt_mck

Jul 1, 2005
Ottawa
Apparently GM's aren't allowed to negotiate with their players. Bryan Murray was just supposed to start things off with "alright Daniel, we'll give you $5.5 million"? No, that's not how negotiating works.

JP Barry and Alfredsson left Murray in the dark entirely after one conversation where little was even discussed. Alfredsson didn't give Murray or this organization a chance to do anything. No contact past the initial conversation with Barry until Alfredsson had already made up his mind.

This wasn't about money. This wasn't about being "low-balled" (which he wasn't). This about Alfredsson giving up on his team. Plain and simple.

You guys can spin it any way you like. Doesn't change the truth.

Eggzactly

Alfie didn;t leave because the sens lowballed him, give and take is part of EVERY negotiation

People are just trying to spin this whatver way they want. Creating a story behind the scenes when there is none.

Melnyk told Murray to just get the deal done whatever the number, Murray never had a chance Alfies mind was made up

member 137785

The Sens are a better team today then they were on Thursday. $5mil is better spent on Ryan than on Alfredsson. If Alfie left because he got sand in his vag over the team's initial offer, then good riddance.

My thoughts exactly, get over it people.

Another thought to consider is that Alfie wants to experience a new city and team, heck I'd be bored living in Kanata for 17 years with 4 kids. No shame in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad