All Alfredsson Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Jeeze Qward, you at least could have copied my post over!:p:

I submitted this to Senschirp this morning for consideration of the Chirp of the Week:

It shouldn’t have happened this way.

Many will argue that it shouldn’t have happened at all, but I think in the end, the result was inevitable. It was like the bad joke you could see from miles away, but never thought you would be the victim of. Rumors swirled for the better part of a week that Alfredsson was exploring his options, and that his agent, J.P. Barry, was shopping his prized hog.

I think most of us didn’t want to believe it. Those who did believe, like myself, were in denial. After all, it was only months before that Alfredsson said that he could never see himself leaving Ottawa to chase a Cup, and that he would rather retire an Ottawa Senator.

So what changed?

Looking back at the series of events that led us to Alfredsson’s fateful decision this past Thursday night, it makes me wonder if Bryan Murray ever really had a chance to re-sign the long time captain of the Ottawa Senators. From the outside looking in, Bryan Murray appeared to be always a step behind the play. Murray had to wait for Alfredsson to officially declare that he wanted to come back for another year, and when he did hear about it, like the rest of us, it was from a report out of Sweden.
One would think that if a player as remarkable and as important to the franchise as Alfredsson was, announced that he would be returning for one last year, a bigger deal would have been made of it. One would think that Alfredsson would have been flown into Ottawa so that he could sign his new contract, and the Sens could hold a press conference reassuring the fans of the direction of the team going forward. But that never happened.

When Murray was finally given the opportunity to speak with Alfredsson’s agent, J.P. Barry started with a number that, according to Bryan Murray, wasn’t realistic. Some fan’s seem to be annoyed by the fact that Murray practically balked at Alfredsson’s agent’s initial figure, but this is how standard negotiations work. Each side gives a figure, and in the end they usually meet somewhere in the middle. This would have been nothing new to J.P. Barry or Daniel Alfredsson, having been through several contract negotiations in the past. But one has to wonder if the initial number Alfredsson and his agent were looking for, was an inclination that Alfredsson would only return to Ottawa for an overpayment, or that maybe Alfredsson has no interest at all in finishing his career in Ottawa. After all, Murray admitted to practically handing J.P. Barry a blank cheque, in order to have the longest serving active captain in the league, play out the last year of his career in an Ottawa uniform, and never heard back from either party regarding an actual number.
Like most Senators fans, I wanted answers. I eagerly awaited Alfredsson’s media address, hoping to hear anything that would ease the pain that so many of us felt Friday morning. The remedy never came. Alfredsson indicated there was never an issue with money, there was no falling out with the team, management or fans, and that he was making this decision for selfish reasons. He had lost faith in the team that had put so much faith into him. In likely his final year, Alfredsson wanted to win a Cup, and didn’t believe he could do so with the team that he had led for the better part of a decade. Alfredsson claims that a week ago, he couldn’t have envisioned himself playing for any other team, but I have my doubts regarding this statement. As Alfredsson spoke, I couldn’t help to think about something he said weeks ago, something I immediately dismissed at the time, but that others scrutinized him for.

“Probably not.â€

The words Alfredsson muttered after being asked if he thought the Ottawa Senators could come back from a 3-1 series deficit, following a 7-3 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins. The words were such a contrast to 9 years earlier, when Captain Daniel Alfredsson assured the Ottawa faithful victory over the Toronto Maple Leafs despite being down 3-2 in the series. As I said previously, I immediately dismissed the comments Alfredsson made following the loss. I made excuses for why Alfredsson would say such a thing. “He was just frustrated. He was hot from the blowout loss. He’s just trying to take the pressure off the rest of the team.†All things I said to myself, or to others as I attempted to defend the words of my Captain. We should have seen the signs.

While I don’t think Alfredsson made up his mind then and there, one could argue that the blowout loss to the Penguins planted the seed of the doubt in the back of his mind that would later attribute to his decision on Thursday.
Like many fans, I’m left wondering if May 22nd, 2013 was the day Alfredsson stopped believing in the Ottawa Senators.
I’m not mad at Alfredsson wanting to chase a cup, but I am heartbroken over how everything unfolded this week. It shouldn’t have happened this way. If Alfredsson thought there was even the slightest chance that he wouldn’t return to Ottawa this year (which in my opinion he’s had his doubts for weeks now), he should have been transparent with Bryan Murray, the Ottawa Senators organization, and the fans in Ottawa. Prior to the announcement that Alfredsson had signed a contract with the Detroit Red Wings, he should have held a press conference explaining his choice and how hard it was for him to make it, and it should have been him, and not Darren Dregger, that broke the news to the Ottawa faithful. What should have been a bitter sweet moment in Senators history (like Ray Bourque leaving Boston for Colorado), has left many Sens fans with a sour taste in their mouth, that won’t go away any time soon.

I won’t boo Alfredsson the first night he laces up against our boys here in Ottawa. At least I hope I won’t. At the moment the wound is still too fresh to say for sure, but I can’t help smiling when I think of Alfredsson getting to play in the Winter Classic against the Toronto Maple Leafs this coming New Year, or throwing on the yellow Sweden jersey one more time at the Olympics. And while I also can’t help smiling at the thought of the Senators defeating the Red Wings on route to their first Stanley Cup win in modern franchise history, a part of me would be sad to see it happen.

Daniel Alfredsson carried this franchise on his back for years. He took less money when the team was struggling to stay afloat financially, was a standout member of the community, and was a great mentor to the likes of Jason Spezza, Erik Karlsson and the rest of the Ottawa Senators. I hope that fans remember all of the good Alfie has done for the city of Ottawa, and don’t condemn him for the one selfish decision he made in his entire career.

Thanks Alfie for everything you have done. I hope you find what you were searching for in Detroit.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
when i thought something was up?

when he picked up that puck

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Unless I've missed something, Alfie hasn't released any sort of personal statement or a message to the people of Ottawa, and that is what still stings today. It seems he'd rather run away without ever looking back than try to at least soothe Sens fans sorrow. The only time we got to hear him talk since he signed with the Wings was through their own press conference.

It ain't right.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
In all honesty Alfie saying we're there is not all wrong, this team does have problems that we need to fix.

Our breakouts terrible

We have trouble entering the offensive zone.

Our cycle is almost non existent

Our PP is aweful, partially due the inability to cycle properly.

These are not problems for contending teams.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
In all honesty Alfie saying we're there is not all wrong, this team does have problems that we need to fix.

Our breakouts terrible

We have trouble entering the offensive zone.

Our cycle is almost non existent

Our PP is aweful, partially due the inability to cycle properly.

These are not problems for contending teams.

All of that is most likely going to change come next season though for many reasons. We had to play a defense style of hockey last season because of all the injuries. I expect us to get on the offensive side more next season being that we just added two new players and our squad will most likely be healthy.

Contending teams do have powerplay problem. Boston and chicago did not really have great powerplays. Even the announcers were wondering why chicago was doing terrible on the pp even though they have talented players playing on it.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
i noticed alfie having more fun last year. I think the guy is just having more fun in general. And he's trying to keep that going. He has wanted to play with red wings and he wants to play with zetterberg and datsyuk.
He has one chance to do it.
tough decision but he made it.

i'm not mad at you anymore alfie. go and have some fun with your buddy henrik. i'll be watching and smiling.

zetterberg-datsyuk-alfredsson

^now that looks like fun

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Chara said at the All star game he thinks Datsyuk is the best player in the NHL current.

Milan the God*

http://senators.nhl.com/

:handclap:

Splash-Alfie-thanku.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cage

Apr 25, 2004
I'm hoping Alfredsson takes out an ad in one of the papers to say thank you and good bye. After 17 years you sort of have to

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I'm hoping Alfredsson takes out an ad in one of the papers to say thank you and good bye. After 17 years you sort of have to

I'm hoping for the same. As I said, just leaving without even one word directly to the fans is weak.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Man, I keep watching what Alfredsson has done for this franchise and I honestly cannot believe he did what he did.

How can someone go through soooooooo muchhhhhhhh and then just walk away, just like that.

Last year in the playoffs he said the Montreal series was the best hockey he has ever played in and one of the best accomplishments in his career. Then WOOOOOSHHHH, Detroit bound.

Something is not ****ing right.

P.S. I sent him to Detroit and got Ryan in NHL 13 and I played a game and saw number 11 was still in Ottawa, the game automatically gave the number to Ryan... I kid you not :laugh::laugh:

:cry:

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
MAN **** YOU ALFIE. WATCHING THAT BREAKS MY HEART.

You were everything to this city and you decided it meant nothing to you.

ARGH.

Yupppp. I hope he doesn't win anything and regrets his decision EVERY SINGLE DAY. I've lived and breathed Sens since '96. They helped me through dark times in my life when I was young. They're more then a hockey team. The Sens are a life style to me. As soon as player 11 turned his back to the franchise after saying one thing and doing another, he was dead to me. I had a player 11 bonfire last night. As far as I'm concerned, he's dead to me.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
meh

I'm over it. The pieces we have in place and character in the room will be tons of fun to watch next year. Now we see why the Sens have been drafting for character and work ethic the past few seasons. I can definitely see a Cup in Ottawa in 5-6 years.

But the idea of Alfredsson on the first line in Detroit? Come on, the Wings didn't even have the legs to survive a half season and gave away a 3-1 series lead. Do they honestly think a year older and a full schedule later they'll do better?

Add all the players you want, Wings. You are not a Cup contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->