Tribute Alexander Romanov: Good luck in NYI

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Because it would settle him financially for his entire life and allow him to negotiate another contract right in his prime at 29 years old?
There are different ways for him to set himself up for life in an even more lucrative way.

I just don’t see why he would sign that deal at this point in his career.

My guess is he signs a bridge deal in the hope that his current progress continues and then he places himself in a position where he can negotiate a contract from a position of strength contractually.

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
His contract will really be a formality, I'm guessing we will also shed some salary on draft week which will help the process.

Reactions: Redux91

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
I'd so go big with that kid, I believe he has a lot of untouched potential in him.
What makes you think that? I’m just curious to see how the fan base sees Romy going forward, feel like he’s not talked about much

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
What makes you think that? I’m just curious to see how the fan base sees Romy going forward, feel like he’s not talked about much
I see him as a solid 2nd pairing defenseman that will chip in 20-25 points a year. He'll primarily kill penalties.

He needs to work on his puck retrievals though. Adventure to say the least.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I just believe he's going to improve a lot going forward and I wouldn't hesitate one second to give him a max deal. He'll be a bargain in 2 3 years.

I doubt his agent would take such a deal, but I know he loves it here so he might say f*** it, go for it.

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
I see him as a solid 2nd pairing defenseman that will chip in 20-25 points a year. He'll primarily kill penalties.

Yeah this is in line with my projection too, although if all goes right for us, he’s probably a the 3LD.

Reactions: Benstheman

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

Yeah this is in line with my projection too, although if all goes right for us, he’s probably a the 3LD.
He has offense in him also, I'm telling you if they manage to sign him to a long contract for the price of a shutdown/PK guy it will be highway robbery.

They didn't use him in zero offensive situations last year, but watch next year after he signs his extension.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Scoring is way up in the league so 20-25 points is quite low for a player you want to commit to.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Scoring is way up in the league so 20-25 points is quite low for a player you want to commit to.
It was caused by a very high increase in goalies injuries. It is unlikely to repeat itself long term unless the cause for the goalies injuries are the recent rules changes in the offensive zone and not the very compressed Covid season + short off-season.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I dream of a duo Romanov, Xhekaj, that would be awesome.

Big hits and rough play are great.

But both finess, thinking the game quickly, as well as the type of strength guys like Eddy and Chiarot brought in our playoff run, without necessarily the overt physicality, really rule the game today.

I really hope Xhekaj can play the game and doesn't turn out to be a Douglass Murray or Jared Tinordi, who may have been very effective in a past era, but not this one.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
giphy.gif

Reactions: Hacketts

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
We have actually drafted many good Russian D men, but we let them walk or trade them. Markov, Emelin ( loved the hits) , Sergachev and Romanov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad