Tribute Alexander Romanov: Good luck in NYI

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
If you sign a player coming off his ELC to a 8-year contract, you are paying for what you think the player will become and not for who he is now. 5.5M is a fair contract for 8 years. You are paying for his potential to become a #2/#3 dman with secondary offensive potential (~0.5 ppg). Like a Jeff Petry type but on a better contract. I think its a fair contract but i doubt Romanov would sign it. It makes sense for Romanov to sign a bridge contract. Likely at 4M bridge.

If the Habs can get him at 8 x 5.5 they would ink that so quick... Romanov's agent would tell him not to sign that...
Romanov is not Jeff Petry though, he doesn’t have any offence in his game

How someone with 4 goals and 19 pts in 133 games can ask for 5.5m ?

If he receive that offer, his agent will sign the more quickly he can to be sure MTL dosen't wake up.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

If he receive that offer, his agent will sign the more quickly he can to be sure MTL dosen't wake up.
So you think he has no offense in his future and should take a longterm contract after his ELC that reflects that? What kind of agent tells his player to do that?

Romanov still has a lot of room to improve offensively. He's only 22. When Petry played his first season in the NHL at 24, he was on pace for 11 pts.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
So you think he has no offense in his future and should take a longterm contract after his ELC that reflects that? What kind of agent tells his player to do that?

Romanov still has a lot of room to improve offensively. He's only 22. When Petry played his first season in the NHL at 24, he was on pace for 11 pts.
I don’t think he will sign a long terme contract, short term make sense for the 2 sides but if 5.5m for 8 yrs is on the table, I would tell him to take it and run !

And yes I don’t think he have any offence in the futur either, he dosen’t have any offensive tools and didn’t produce offense in any league he played.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I don’t think he will sign a long terme contract, short term make sense for the 2 sides but if 5.5m for 8 yrs is on the table, I would tell him to take it and run !

And yes I don’t think he have any offence in the futur either, he dosen’t have any offensive tools and didn’t produce offense in any league he played.
He has always focused on defensive responsibility due to the fact that he was playing in professional leagues from the time he was 18 years old. When he played against his peers (e.g. WJHC) he was an offensive juggernaut. I think has offensive potential and will get an opportunity to show it in the next 2 to 3 years. If by age 25 he has not shown any offense then i agree.

If Romanov was playing junior hockey at 18/19 or in the AHL at 20-22, he would be producing offense. The problem was that he is too good for the AHL and his defensive game and puckmoving ability was too valuable to the Habs. In retrospect, they should have put him in the AHL to help round out his offensive game.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He hasn't peaked out yet. If this is his peak, then sure 4 - 4.5 longterm but obviously he has a lot of room for growth in his game (offensively and defensively).

Kulak got ~2M as a peaked-out 3rd pairing dman. Romanov is already a solid 2nd pairing dman and will get a minimum 3.5 - 4.5M on his next contract short term. If the Habs offered a longterm contract, it would have to be higher than that. Much higher.

My fear is that they bridge him at 3.5 - 4.5 and then will pay him 7M longterm.

A bridge at 3.5 million would be an overpayment.

Reactions: Vachon23

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
He has always focused on defensive responsibility due to the fact that he was playing in professional leagues from the time he was 18 years old. When he played against his peers (e.g. WJHC) he was an offensive juggernaut. I think has offensive potential and will get an opportunity to show it in the next 2 to 3 years. If by age 25 he has not shown any offense then i agree.

If Romanov was playing junior hockey at 18/19 or in the AHL at 20-22, he would be producing offense. The problem was that he is too good for the AHL.
Nothing to do with him focusing on his defence, he just dosen’t have the offensive tools.

His shoot won’t scare any goalie
He dosen’t create anything in the Ozone, he always just shoot it and mostly his shoot are getting block
He doesn’t see his open teammates

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
A bridge at 3.5 million would be an overpayment.
We all love the kid, if he wants a bridge right now he'd get around 7 million for 3 years

2.33 AAV sounds about right and then he can get a raise down the line and sign for 8 years when hes 25 rather than right now, not a bad thing.

I doubt the next years will allow him to blossom that much offensively and bite us back down the line.

I'm really hoping for a Kronwall type of development curves where he actually starts scoring in his thirties...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Romanov has 13 ES points to Jeffs 23, its a bit ridiculous to say he has no offense.

He was the best defenseman on most nights for the Habs, at 22 and in his second season, to think thats what he is is a bit of a joke honestly.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Romanov gas 13 ES points to Jeffs 23, its a bit ridiculous to say he has no offense.

He was the best defenseman on most nights for the Habs, at 22 and in his second season, to think thats what he is is a bit of a joke honestly.

There is some offence, but I think 20-30 points is more realistic than say 40 points.

Reactions: badfish

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
There is some offence, but I think 20-30 points is more realistic than say 40 points.
40 points isnt out of the question with some puck luck and a better offensive team around him. With that said, 25-35 points while providing the breakout he does and the defensive stability and competitive edge he can bring is well worth the 5-6 millions people dont want to give him. Hes going to provide similar value to Hamrlik for the Habs IMO, Hamr was a crazy good value twenty years ago at 4 millions.

The Habs looked for a guy like Romanov for years and now that the Habs have him somehow hes trash.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Brandon Carlo's contract situation is ideal. I think the team should push for something similar with Romanov.

He signed a 2 year bridge deal (2.85M AAV) when he was 22 years old.

Following that deal, Carlo signed a 6 year, 4.1M AAV contract.

Romanov and Carlo are both defensive defensemen with similar production throughout the duration of their ELC. In the season before their deals were up, Carlo had 10 points in 72 games and Romanov had 13 points in 79 games.

I think Romy is going to sign a 2 year, ~2.5M AAV bridge deal.

Last edited:

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Romanov has 13 ES points to Jeffs 23, its a bit ridiculous to say he has no offense.

What offensive tools do you see in Romanov ?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
He has a decent shot, hes good at keeping the line and hes an accurate passer.

Give him time, hes going to blossom. You seem to forget Romanov has played very little over the past 5 years with his time in the KHL.
He's a good passer when he's in the Dzone and he need to move the puck, but he doses't create any passing lines when he's in the 0zone. His shoot is decent yes, but it won't scare anyone.

Can he get between 20-30 pts ? Yes for sure I think he can bring that but I don't see him making more then that

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He's a good passer when he's in the Dzone and he need to move the puck, but he doses't create any passing lines when he's in the 0zone. His shoot is decent yes, but it won't scare anyone.

Can he get between 20-30 pts ? Yes for sure I think he can bring that but I don't see him making more then that
Its not about "scaring" anyone. Weve just seen Weber hammer pucks for half a decade without any success. The best shot is the shot that gets through and creates rebound.

A 30 pts D is worth 5 millions + especially with Romanovs qualities.

Reactions: cphabs

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Its not about "scaring" anyone. Weve just seen Weber hammer pucks for half a decade without any success. The best shot is the shot that gets through and creates rebound.
When I'm saying scare nobody, I'm not necessary talking only about the power. The accuracy and the ability to finds the hole are count to.

Romanov shoot are often block and or easily save and freeze.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
If he believes in himself, not sure why he’d sign that deal short of doing the Habs a solid
Because it would settle him financially for his entire life and allow him to negotiate another contract right in his prime at 29 years old?

Reactions: Vachon23

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Times two, which is a pretty good sample size
But he never shows those skills elsewhere and even at WJ he got some puck luck and not every team are good at those tournament. Emelin and Volchenkov (who I compare Romanov to) had great tournament at the WJC too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad