Tribute Alexander Romanov: Good luck in NYI

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
The ball will be in his court. We know what he brings and we know we want him to be a core part of our defense moving forward.

He gets a bridge in the vicinity of 2m per , for 2 or 3 which would still bring him to RFA. Should his offense improve down the line then he could collect a bigger payday later. It's not a bad scenario for us because we could also lock him up 8 years then, securing him for a very long time. I also doubt he'll put big offensive numbers. 5 goals 15 assists would be reasonable, such a bridge is unlikely to backfire terribly with the years ahead of us.....

If we lock him to 8 years now, we get what 3 years of UFA? I doubt he gets much more then Chiarot Edmundson Savard did if the cap isn't going up anytime soon. 3.5 for his current production + potential projection is fair. Leave it to Kent to negociate something decent.

Reactions: montreal

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
5 x 4.6 seems like the kind of deal for Romanov. Let him earn that huge payday when he gets past 25.

I would go around that AVG for 7 or 8 years.

But most likely, a 2 or 3 years contract for less than that followed by a long-term contract where he will get a solid amount (depending on his progression).

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
He said last season what he wanted to improve on was playing smarter (stop running around for no reason), and next season what he wants to improve on is his offense.

He has the tools to produce offense. I think he hits 25 pts next year.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I feel like romanov (and his agent) knows he would be selling himself short at that money for that long. He probably will bet on himself with a bridge contract

Really? I think there's a real shot that Romanov is never worth that AAV. Its a gamble for both sides.

Reactions: Vachon23

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Really? I think there's a real shot that Romanov is never worth that AAV. Its a gamble for both sides.
I guess it depends on if Romanov and his agent think he can develop into a top-2 defensemen. He's only 22 and probably playing as a solid 4-5 at this point. Most defensemen really take until they are 25-26 to shine.

Reactions: Colezuki

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I guess it depends on if Romanov and his agent think he can develop into a top-2 defensemen. He's only 22 and probably playing as a solid 4-5 at this point. Most defensemen really take until they are 25-26 to shine.
I do worry if Romanov will have issues later in his career around his body related to his physicality the same way Weber does, think getting him to 25 and then getting a long term 8 year deal would be the play as that will take him to 33-34

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I guess. But we're talking about a guy that had 13 points in 79 games and still hasn't put it together defensively or in transition. This isn't a Slavin situation where you can see the incredible upside is being realized, he might never be more than a bottom-pair. 31.5 mil guaranteed with a potential new contract before 30 for a guy that's done what he's done is incredibly difficult to turn down. I'd take it if I was him tbh, there's a reasonable chance he never earns that much over his career.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
I have no doubt Romanov believes he can be a top 2 D.

Reactions: KevSkillz4

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
This season Romanov is 19th in NHL for block shots and 19th in hits (forward and defense).

Adding with his great mobility, great skating and passing ability.

He certainly have potential to become more than a top 4 defenseman, he is already a top 4 defenseman.

He can play on PP too, he got good offensive potential, for sure. 30 points per season will be a realistic projection for him and that's pretty good.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
I really like Romanov but no way am I giving him over 3 mil now, what are you going to give Guhle/Barron/Harris? Two years we'll see where everyone is.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Even Bergevin would’t give that
You guys are so out of touch if you think you can get Romanov on a longterm cheap contract. You either take a gamble on a longterm contract at 5.5M or you go with a bridge at 2 years 3.5 - 4M like they did with Subban.

What you won't get is Romanov at 8 x 4 to 4.5M. That's not happening and it takes a total homer to think its possible.

To me, Romanov has top-pairing dman potential (#2 / #3 dman potential). He won't produce the offense of a top-pairing dman but he will provide secondary offense and great defense to support a more offensive partner.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
You guys are so out of touch. You either take a gamble on a longterm contract at 5.5M or you go short-term at 2 years 3.5 - 4M like they did with Subban.

What you won't get is Romanov at 8 x 4 to 4.5M. That's not happening and it takes a total homer to think its possible.
You’re talking about Alex Romanov not PK Subban.

4-4.5m is probably what he will do when he will sign his big contract in 3-4 years. Where talking about a physical 2nd pair DMen

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You’re talking about Alex Romanov not PK Subban.

4-4.5m is probably what he will do when he will sign his big contract in 3-4 years. Where talking about a physical 2nd pair DMen
He hasn't peaked out yet. If this is his peak, then sure 4 - 4.5 longterm but obviously he has a lot of room for growth in his game (offensively and defensively).

Kulak got ~2M as a peaked-out 3rd pairing dman. Romanov is already a solid 2nd pairing dman and will get a minimum 3.5 - 4.5M on his next contract short term. If the Habs offered a longterm contract, it would have to be higher than that. Much higher.

My fear is that they bridge him at 3.5 - 4.5 and then will pay him 7M longterm.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
He hasn't peaked out yet. If this is his peak, then sure 4 - 4.5 longterm but obviously he has a lot of room for growth in his game (offensively and defensively).

Kulak got ~2M as a peaked-out 3rd pairing dman. Romanov is already a solid 2nd pairing dman and will get a minimum 3.5 - 4.5M on his next contract short term. If the Habs offered a longterm contract, it would have to be higher than that. Much higher.

My fear is that they bridge him at 3.5 - 4.5 and then will pay him 7M longterm.
7m to Romanov ???
I like him but he doesn’t bring any offence and he‘s that much a big shutdown guy either. Yes he will get better defensively with experience but still 5m for that type of player is too much.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
7m to Romanov ???
I like him but he doesn’t bring any offence and he‘s that much a big shutdown guy either. Yes he will get better defensively with experience but still 5m for that type of player is too much.

If you sign a player coming off his ELC to a 8-year contract, you are paying for what you think the player will become and not for who he is now. 5.5M is a fair contract for 8 years. You are paying for his potential to become a #2/#3 dman with secondary offensive potential (~0.5 ppg). Like a Jeff Petry type but on a better contract. I think its a fair contract but i doubt Romanov would sign it. It makes sense for Romanov to sign a bridge contract. Likely at 4M bridge.

If the Habs can get him at 8 x 5.5 they would ink that so quick... Romanov's agent would tell him not to sign that...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad