Prospect Info: Alexander Holtz (#7 pick - 2020 draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
That’s an awful charging call under NHL rules. I don’t know if the SHL has a different standard.

Holtz is just following the puck that was passed; he couldn’t possibly have been lining the player up.

Reactions: TheDuke93

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
That’s an awful charging call under NHL rules. I don’t know if the SHL has a different standard.

Holtz is just following the puck that was passed; he couldn’t possibly have been lining the player up.

Nope, awful call in Sweden aswell, however we are used to it refs here got no feel for the game whatsoever. I mean you should see the length the league has gone through to make the refs untouchable. It's been a big debate the last few years and you can pretty much get an unsportsmanlike conduct by looking at them the wrong way

It was very refreshing to watch the World Juniors with only Canadian refs who could keep up.

Calls like that are why euro's are so soft.

Euro leagues are softer for sure, this softie was a tough ol' Canadian boy though with just under 100 nhl games under his belt :D

Reactions: devilsblood

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He is. He isn't going to drive play, but he doesn't have to. Think he will be the type of young winger the team desperately needs.

There is a reason, despite the relative success of Mercer in his league and the lack of success of Holtz in his that I still believe Holtz is much closer to NHL ready. He is a physical specimen and I don't think the rigors of the NHL game will wear on him the way they would on Mercer. And he still looked more dynamic to my eye in the WJC than Mercer. Not taking anything away from Mercer at all. I just like Holtz.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
There is a reason, despite the relative success of Mercer in his league and the lack of success of Holtz in his that I still believe Holtz is much closer to NHL ready. He is a physical specimen and I don't think the rigors of the NHL game will wear on him the way they would on Mercer. And he still looked more dynamic to my eye in the WJC than Mercer. Not taking anything away from Mercer at all. I just like Holtz.

To me Mercer has the higher floor but Hotlz has an elite ceiling. I don't think Mercer has that.

I do think you need both types of players for real success.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

I saw this on twitter and don't no what to make of it. @StevenToddIves I'm bat signaling you when you get a chance.

This guy looks at the number of points scored by prospects, and models a theoretical "NHL equivalent" to those points according to which league they're scored in.

Essentially the chart is saying that the Holtz scored the equivalent of 30 NHL points in the SHL this year, and Mercer has scored the equivalent of 34 NHL points in the Q. Based on those "NHL equivalent" points, he's saying that they both have a 22% chance of being stars in the NHL.

It's interesting, but ultimately meaningless.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Maybe the SHL but the KHL tends to have a lot of fights and dirty hits. The whole KHL is soft is something that always perplexes me seeing how Russia dominates the USA and especially Canada in wrestling and MMA. They are tough motherf***ers.
I was kidding.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
This guy looks at the number of points scored by prospects, and models a theoretical "NHL equivalent" to those points according to which league they're scored in.

Essentially the chart is saying that the Holtz scored the equivalent of 30 NHL points in the SHL this year, and Mercer has scored the equivalent of 34 NHL points in the Q. Based on those "NHL equivalent" points, he's saying that they both have a 22% chance of being stars in the NHL.

Thanks brother, appreciate that.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

It also matters how you slice the baloney. Mercer’s late season PPG would have resulted in a better NHL equivalent while Hoktz’s would have been much worse.

Reactions: TheDuke93

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I saw this on twitter and don't no what to make of it. @StevenToddIves I'm bat signaling you when you get a chance.

That's a silly tweet. Holtz has been up and down in his draft+1 season, but Mercer has been absolutely dominant -- from the WJC to the QMJHL. It's just not an informed or educated opinion to me, so I have trouble responding to it.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
That's a silly tweet. Holtz has been up and down in his draft+1 season, but Mercer has been absolutely dominant -- from the WJC to the QMJHL. It's just not an informed or educated opinion to me, so I have trouble responding to it.
Thank you good sir. I thought it made no sense when. I read it but verification from you and blackjack was appreciated.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
You’d love the results of his modeling, our top three developing young players (Nico doesn’t qualify) are Hughes, Smith, and, uh, Reilly Walsh? Then Mercer and Holtz.
Heh.

Reactions: My3Sons

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

His modeling/evaluation is based entirely on comps for the player’s age, height, weight, basic statistical production, and league (similar to NHLe). So there’s no actual subjective analysis that’s going into his opinion. It’s purely statistical modeling.

Reactions: Triumph
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad