Player Discussion Alexandar Georgiev

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Hopefully Geo earns the backup spot next year and makes a real case for himself to be Hank's successor.

Sidenote: On the whole, I like what Gorton has done so far, and I think Gordie is a top tier head scout, but Allaire is the last guy I would let go from the organization. Guy just keeps churning out trade bait. I feel nearly the same attachment to him that I do to Hank.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah. I don't know what the going rate is for goaltending coaches in the NHL, but Benny should be at the top of the list. He should be one of those random college football assistants that are so highly thought-of that they make triple what most guys in their position make.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Hopefully Geo earns the backup spot next year and makes a real case for himself to be Hank's successor.

Sidenote: On the whole, I like what Gorton has done so far, and I think Gordie is a top tier head scout, but Allaire is the last guy I would let go from the organization. Guy just keeps churning out trade bait. I feel nearly the same attachment to him that I do to Hank.

TBH, I don’t even care about trade baits (though turning free assets that become excess into something else valuable is great in itself) but I do appreciate the fact that the Rangers seemed to always have a good backup to Hank, definitely at least the last 5-6 seasons.

Also, if you start from the premise that goalie is the most important position as I do in a sense that a bad goalie could turn a good team into a lottery one or a very good / great into a mere bubble / first rounder exiter or vise versa, Allaire becomes the most important development coach for the organization.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I thought this article gave a great quick review of his background:
Alexandar Georgiev Ready for the Rangers

He was stellar for TPS (the Finnish team I support) last year, and, not that I noticed much, I thought he was Russian until I saw his player card on their website, which showed he was born in Bulgaria. He has played for Russian juniors internationally, which is how European press usually identifies an athlete.

Interesting to note from his Intstagram: he has a few photos from Finland from 3 years ago, where he's wearing Rangers and New York apparel. I wonder how long the Rangers had been keeping track of him:
Alexander Georgiev (@aghockey) • Instagram photos and videos
Do you think the Rangers became turned onto him while scouting Virta? And maybe even Reunanen, though I know he wasn't with the team for much of the year.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
"You can never have enough goalies"

I like Georgiev too I am not really into goalie evaluation but he has made most of the saves I would expect and then some.

Reactions: GregSirico

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Would be nice to see Virta make the team next year or in 2019-20. Virta and Georgiev played together in Turku.
My new theory was that TPS is annoyed the Rangers poached one of their best young forwards in Virta and a promising young goalie in Georgiev, so they started f***ing with Reunanen to punish the Rangers. :laugh:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
My new theory was that TPS is annoyed the Rangers poached one of their best young forwards in Virta and a promising young goalie in Georgiev, so they started ****ing with Reunanen to punish the Rangers. :laugh:

Man, that's some tinfoil-hat theory there haha

Reactions: nyr2k2

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
TBH, I don’t even care about trade baits (though turning free assets that become excess into something else valuable is great in itself) but I do appreciate the fact that the Rangers seemed to always have a good backup to Hank, definitely at least the last 5-6 seasons.

Also, if you start from the premise that goalie is the most important position as I do in a sense that a bad goalie could turn a good team into a lottery one or a very good / great into a mere bubble / first rounder exiter or vise versa, Allaire becomes the most important development coach for the organization.

Yeah, trade bait is kind of secondary to me too. Just using it as an indication of the league value our backups have had for the last decade.

Most fan bases would of been very upset about the Pavelec signing this year for instance, and there was a little grumbling among our's, but for the most part it was more about giving Allaire the benefit of the doubt. And sure enough, Pav's has his best statistical season since 2011 and we're all wondering if there's a chance he's moved at the TDL despite his injury. Like clockwork.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah. I don't know what the going rate is for goaltending coaches in the NHL, but Benny should be at the top of the list. He should be one of those random college football assistants that are so highly thought-of that they make triple what most guys in their position make.
When the Rangers picked him up, he was employed by Phoenix, they just offered him a "promotion" from goaltending coach to assistant coach. I took that to mean he would be doing all the same things, but getting paid above what a goalie coach normally makes.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm not sure the Rangers want Georgiev backing up next season. IMO, I'd re-sign Mazanec and see if he would back-up Hank in the NHL and then give the starting duties to Georgiev. If there is an injury to Hank I'd bring up Georgiev and play him but making him sit for 8-10 game stretches seems like a bad idea.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I'm not sure the Rangers want Georgiev backing up next season. IMO, I'd re-sign Mazanec and see if he would back-up Hank in the NHL and then give the starting duties to Georgiev. If there is an injury to Hank I'd bring up Georgiev and play him but making him sit for 8-10 game stretches seems like a bad idea.
I see your point, but by the same token, both Talbot and Raanta did very well as Hank's backup.

In fact... this recent string of starts does make me wonder: with all the games he's getting, how well he's playing, and with all the goalie prospects we have...

Could they be showcasing him for an offseason trade? I mentioned it elsewhere, but what could you get from a team like Chicago, which still has a core of elite players (barely) under 30, but which is routinely let down by its goaltending?

I know goalies typically return less than other positions, but he's very young, playing very well, under team control for a long time... we got decent if not great returns for the last two backups we traded...

Move Georgiev, sign another Raanta-like Allaire reclamation project as the backup, sign Huska, hope at least one of Nell/Wall/Halverson bounces back... and of course Shesty comes over next offseason anyway...

Reactions: jas

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I see your point, but by the same token, both Talbot and Raanta did very well as Hank's backup.

In fact... this recent string of starts does make me wonder: with all the games he's getting, how well he's playing, and with all the goalie prospects we have...

Could they be showcasing him for an offseason trade? I mentioned it elsewhere, but what could you get from a team like Chicago, which still has a core of elite players (barely) under 30, but which is routinely let down by its goaltending?

I know goalies typically return less than other positions, but he's very young, playing very well, under team control for a long time... we got decent if not great returns for the last two backups we traded...

Move Georgiev, sign another Raanta-like Allaire reclamation project as the backup, sign Huska, hope at least one of Nell/Wall/Halverson bounces back... and of course Shesty comes over next offseason anyway...

Talbot and Raanta were older then Georgiev is currently.

That's an option, but I'd keep him for another season. A team like Carolina may be interested to try and push Darling

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Let’s start with the premise that Hank to his backup game ratio should be more like 3.5/1 and if Giorgiev needs more games then send him to Hartford for a weekend once in a while.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Let’s start with the premise that Hank to his backup game ratio should be more like 3.5/1 and if Giorgiev needs more games then send him to Hartford for a weekend once in a while.
Nashville did that with Saros a bit this season. I don't think I'd ever seen it happen before.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I agree.

He can effectively be the second string goalie, if Hank is unavailable to play, but also still be the starter in Hartford.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
AG: I was upset, but I tried to control my game. I allowed two goals, but I don’t think that I had many mistakes. I think I played well, but unfortunately, I can’t really control the way forwards play and that they need to score more goals than the opposition.

Haha, that's such a positive way of looking at this. I like this kid a lot.

AG: Maybe, but I am not sure they exist or not. My relatives recently showed me that a person on Twitter has my picture as an avatar. But I haven’t seen a fan with my jersey yet.

Awwww, haha.

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
Would be nice to see Virta make the team next year or in 2019-20. Virta and Georgiev played together in Turku.

I don't know man, he needs to pack on some pounds to his frame before he sniffs the NHL.

Ct1j9g1.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad