Player Discussion Alexandar Georgiev

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
So far so good. No need to decide yet but definitely worth giving Georgiev more starts. What’s Pavelec’s contract like? He has been good too. But he might find a starter’s role somewhere, as well.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Definitely. Then George can be the translator between Allaire and Shestorkin.

Reactions: Nickmo82

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Too early to say, but this far he has been great. Excellent positioning, calm, very quick laterally, etc.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
So far so good. No need to decide yet but definitely worth giving Georgiev more starts. What’s Pavelec’s contract like? He has been good too. But he might find a starter’s role somewhere, as well.
Pavelec will undoubtedly get interest. He was a reasonable signing considering what was available, and he was not a bad choice. I am quite happy to see Georgiev's play, and on top of that read about Shestyorkin's progress. The Rangers succession plan for goaltending looks good.

Reactions: haveandare

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Too early to tell with Georgiev, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went that route.

Georgiev was really mediocre until Marek Mazanec went down, and then he realized he had an opportunity and started playing lights out. He has continued that play in the NHL. It's nice to see.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Need to give him more games to see. 16 games left this season. If management see him being the backup as a possible option next season give him half of the games. Only thing I can see putting w wrinkle in that is Lundqvist will likely want to push hard after another 30 win season. He currently has 25 this year. He's won 30 in 11 of his 12 seasons and the one season he didn't I believe waa during the strike shortened season.

Reactions: charliemurphy

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Hard call but I’d likely sign a vet they can either have backup or stash in Cat in case Georgiev falters

Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He looks great to me. He's only f***ing 21. He's younger than Shesterkin. Mull that over. Three games in front of a real dodgy NHL defense and he's sporting a .930 save% and looks calm as can be. Right now he looks like a future NHL starter.

Igor should think about getting here really quick or there might not be a job for him.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
He’s looked great so far and is only going to improve, especially with Benny at the helm.

Too early to tell about his status with the team, but a very promising start.

Reactions: Ori

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
He's looked pretty solid so far! He must improve his rebound control, let's a few to many, especially last night.
However, looks like he has a bright future:)

Reactions: egelband

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Need to give him more games to see. 16 games left this season. If management see him being the backup as a possible option next season give him half of the games. Only thing I can see putting w wrinkle in that is Lundqvist will likely want to push hard after another 30 win season. He currently has 25 this year. He's won 30 in 11 of his 12 seasons and the one season he didn't I believe waa during the strike shortened season.
The other "wrinkle" is we find ourselves 3 points out of a playoff spot and playing some better hockey. I don't see the coaching staff giving Georgiev any games other than to rest Hank, despite the fact that he's played very well.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
The other "wrinkle" is we find ourselves 3 points out of a playoff spot and playing some better hockey. I don't see the coaching staff giving Georgiev any games other than to rest Hank, despite the fact that he's played very well.
This needs to be put in perspective though. They are tied with another team in points and there are 2 more non-playoff teams ahead of them. The final wild card team had a game in hand over the Rangers which could put that lead back to 5pts.

Even with the 3 wins their odds of making it are very low.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
:sarcasm:

Trade Lundqvist and Zuccarello to Vegas for Fleury, Subban, four 5th rd picks, and Maxim Legace.

Trade :
Legace for three 7th's
Fleury + 7th to Edmonton for Talbot + Lucic + Klefbom
Keep Subban as back-up to Georgiev.

Trade NYR 7th + two leftover acquired 7ths + three of the four LvGK 5ths + Staal + Smith to Calgary for Mike Smith and assign him to Hartford for verteran leadership.

NYR's ticket back to playoff's next year.

Love,
The B'man

Reactions: NewYorkNick

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
It might be time to trade Shestyorkin

Not even close. Georgiev struggled in Hartford to begin the season, prompting management to bring in Mazanec. Mazanec was very good until he got hurt and then Georgiev took over and has played well since. It's still way too early to tell if Georgiev can play at this level consistently.

Beyond that, goalies, especially prospect goalies, don't have that much trade value.

If they both are here, playing well and force the Rangers to choose between them, then we will trade one of them, but not before. You never know with goalies and having quality depth is never a bad thing. At the very least, let them both show that they can be #1 goalies, driving their value up before we trade one of them.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not even close. Georgiev struggled in Hartford to begin the season, prompting management to bring in Mazanec. Mazanec was very good until he got hurt and then Georgiev took over and has played well since. It's still way too early to tell if Georgiev can play at this level consistently.

Beyond that, goalies, especially prospect goalies, don't have that much trade value.

If they both are here, playing well and force the Rangers to choose between them, then we will trade one of them, but not before. You never know with goalies and having quality depth is never a bad thing. At the very least, let them both show that they can be #1 goalies, driving their value up before we trade one of them.

If some team were interested enough to give us a top 10 draft pick I'd think about it but it would have to be quite a lot to get me to move him. Shesterkin's got 10-12 year starting NHL goaltender written all over him. He could be a big star. It seems to me though that the St. Peterburg's coaching staff even though they kind of split the games between Shesterkin and Koskinen tend to favor Koskinen more. I would like to see Shesterkin getting a more real commitment by his team to be its No. 1 starting guy and I'm not sure it's going to happen there.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
:sarcasm:

Trade Lundqvist and Zuccarello to Vegas for Fleury, Subban, four 5th rd picks, and Maxim Legace.

Trade :
Legace for three 7th's
Fleury + 7th to Edmonton for Talbot + Lucic + Klefbom
Keep Subban as back-up to Georgiev.

Trade NYR 7th + two leftover acquired 7ths + three of the four LvGK 5ths + Staal + Smith to Calgary for Mike Smith and assign him to Hartford for verteran leadership.

NYR's ticket back to playoff's next year.

Love,
The B'man

You mean 'The b'man".

bern doesn't capitalize his name.

Reactions: x BEUKEBOOM x

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
seems like the back-up is set for couple of years. Maybe we have a Cambot situation here, where we can turn him into more assets or keep the Shesty-Georgiev tandem.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Georgiyev has a few good games, so of course we get the trade Shestyorkin remarks. Spooner and Namestnikov have played well, might as well trade Chytil and Andersson while we're at it. You don't trade your best prospect because a lesser prospect has played well. I like Georgiyev, but in a larger sample size, he had a .908 sample size in the AHL, which is 30th in the AHL. If Mazanec wasn't injured, he probably would've gotten the call up over Georgiyev. Georgiyev has played 3 NHL games, he has played 31 AHL games. Which sample should we regard? I think there's a chance he might be able to contribute as an NHL back up later next season, if he starts off next season well in the AHL, but he's not ready to be an NHL back up yet and these three games are probably just three good games from a talented goalie, unless he wasn't giving full effort in Hartford this season.

Lundqvist is 36, as well. What if he has a bad season next season? What if he asks for a trade?

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Georgiyev has a few good games, so of course we get the trade Shestyorkin remarks. Spooner and Namestnikov have played well, might as well trade Chytil and Andersson while we're at it. You don't trade your best prospect because a lesser prospect has played well. I like Georgiyev, but in a larger sample size, he had a .908 sample size in the AHL, which is 30th in the AHL. If Mazanec wasn't injured, he probably would've gotten the call up over Georgiyev. Georgiyev has played 3 NHL games, he has played 31 AHL games. Which sample should we regard? I think there's a chance he might be able to contribute as an NHL back up later next season, if he starts off next season well in the AHL, but he's not ready to be an NHL back up yet and these three games are probably just three good games from a talented goalie, unless he wasn't giving full effort in Hartford this season.

Lundqvist is 36, as well. What if he has a bad season next season? What if he asks for a trade?
Georgiev has been really good the last month and a half at both the AHL and NHL level. Obviously suggesting we should trade Shesty because of Georgie's emergence is stupid, but he has certainly improved a lot throughout the season and could be a good backup for next year

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad