Player Discussion Alexandar Georgiev

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
He should split the rest of the games with Hank. We need to see more to give him the backup job next year.

Even if Georgiev splits the rest of the season--unlikely--and does well, he's no lock to make the NHL roster. Even if he wins every start, he not going to be given the backup role next season. It's much more likely the organization will sign an experienced backup and then see if he can win the job--either out of training camp or after some time with the Wolfpack.

Right now it looks like he'll push whomever they sign out of a job before Christmas.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Let's see how he does against better NHL teams. He seems like a type of guy we will need to maintain positional soundness to be successful. It remains to be seen if he can move side to side and what he can do on scrambles, if he has natural goalie instincts.
Imo he’s been really great on scrambles, that’s one of his biggest strengths from what I’ve seen.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
for a team that was void of russians a few years back, we may have a russian backup next year and a young russian #1 waiting in the wings.

add to that buch and vlady plus the blockbuster deal we pull off on draft day to steal svetch, and we could have a full on russian revival here. :thumbu:

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Technically he was born in Bulgaria. In Ruse, which is beautiful. His family moved shortly after his birth to Russia, according to what's on the internet. I don't know if he identifies as Russian or Bulgarian.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
Technically he was born in Bulgaria. In Ruse, which is beautiful. His family moved shortly after his birth to Russia, according to what's on the internet. I don't know if he identifies as Russian or Bulgarian.

I thought this article gave a great quick review of his background:
Alexandar Georgiev Ready for the Rangers

He was stellar for TPS (the Finnish team I support) last year, and, not that I noticed much, I thought he was Russian until I saw his player card on their website, which showed he was born in Bulgaria. He has played for Russian juniors internationally, which is how European press usually identifies an athlete.

Interesting to note from his Intstagram: he has a few photos from Finland from 3 years ago, where he's wearing Rangers and New York apparel. I wonder how long the Rangers had been keeping track of him:
Alexander Georgiev (@aghockey) • Instagram photos and videos

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
looks good, can definitely use some work, but he is very agile, and has quick reflexes. Still a bit too early to say what he tops out as, but with Benoit Allaire I am confident he will prosper

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Georgiev looks like a future NHL starter to me. I bet you Carolina the other day would dump both Darling and Ward if they had a chance to put Georgiev in their net. Just saying. He's calm, composed and tracks pucks really well. He doesn't give up tons of rebounds. His movements are concise and he's not a flopper. He made Malkin--who may win MVP this year---look pretty damned sad on his penalty shot attempt last night.....and he's only 22 years old. Henrik 50 games next year--Georgiev 32. That's what I'm thinking anyway.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Young, cheap, productive, and on an ELC for two more years. Music to any GM's ears. I was all about bringing back Raanta or trying to sign Kuemper before Georgiev emerged, now it just doesn't look necessary.

No reason he can't play 25-30 games next year if he keeps this up. And if he plays well, it's going to get very interesting once Shestyorkin and Huska sign pro contracts.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
They may give Hank another 6 starts or something to see if he can get his 30 wins, bit otherwise Georgie should get the bulk of the work. I love how calm he looks. No wasted movement. Totally methodical.

It took him half a season to adjust to North America. He was nothing special in Hartford until the Mazanec injury. Then he put it together. Let's remember goalies also need to adjust for when Shesterkin comes over.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Rangers are turning into a goaltender factory. Shesterkin is arguably the best prospect goalie outside the NHL. Georgiev has looked fantastic in his starts and if Huska turns out too that's another. I wouldn't completely discount Halverson or count out Wall yet either. It looks like we're set for the future in this area.

Igright

Apr 18, 2015
Georgiev was thought to 'help' in tanking but he equalled the number of wins to that of losses. Three wins already! He's stopped 0.929 shots! Unbelievable!

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The Rangers are turning into a goaltender factory. Shesterkin is arguably the best prospect goalie outside the NHL. Georgiev has looked fantastic in his starts and if Huska turns out too that's another. I wouldn't completely discount Halverson or count out Wall yet either. It looks like we're set for the future in this area.
If they have someone they like, I'd totally be cool taking a flyer on another Adam Huska. A real young guy in one of the last two rounds who is going to play in college for four years or Europe. A guy who won't even be ready to sign until 2023 or whatever.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Was very impressed last night that he didn't collapse after the quick goals against. I'd read that he'd done that in Hartford a bit and once that second one went in I was watching him very closely to see how he reacted. Seemed to keep very calm and not change his play or mentality at all. Definitely a good sign.

Also, I know it's just a random game when the team is mathematically eliminated pretty much, but that save on Malkin's PS is about as high pressure as a non playoff save can be and he made it look pretty easy - your rebuilding team claws back against back-to-back cup winners, then you take a penalty as the goalie with 10 seconds left letting an MVP candidate forward come in on a penalty shot... that's not an easy position to be in.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Hey all, Georgiev's been looking pretty good. With the Rangers having 11 games remaining, do you think he'll be given the bulk of these games to keep testing his capability at the NHL level, or something of a 50/50 split with Lundqvist. Or does Pavelec come back at some point and resume his backup role?

Just curious what's going on in your net these days.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hey all, Georgiev's been looking pretty good. With the Rangers having 11 games remaining, do you think he'll be given the bulk of these games to keep testing his capability at the NHL level, or something of a 50/50 split with Lundqvist. Or does Pavelec come back at some point and resume his backup role?

Just curious what's going on in your net these days.

We have no clue.

Gravey22

Nov 19, 2017
He has been terrific! Unless there is some epic unforeseen issue Georgiev is the easy front-runner for backup next year. He looks to be a solid goalie. Would work to get Rykov out of KHL but let Shesty bake another year. For me it is the positive of the season but will blow our draft tank!

Reactions: Hire Sather and Ori

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad