Confirmed with Link: Alex Newhook: 4 years, 2.9 mill per

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
He is "worth" Fairbrother, 31st & 37th pick... Because that's what he was traded for... That's the value the Avs were able to get for him.

Do I like that the Habs are the ones who paid that price? Absolutely.

Few 30+ picks end up as good as Newhook has already been, and I agree with the Avs & Habs GMs that he has a lot more room to grow & that he'll get a bigger opportunity on our lottery picking roster than on the Avs cup contending one.

Though not sure why you are poding this question as a response to your "underperforming" narrative being questioned & shown to be ungrounded
:dunno:

Disagree still. You seem to have unrealistic expectations, as I've pointed out previously.

Not surprising that you see more potential in the 3rd overall pick from 2019 than the 16OA pick... That's the reason both were picked where they were, don't you think?

Sorry if two, 30 point seasons with ample opportunity playing in the top 2 lines doesn't impress me, especially considering the Avs needed him to be the no. 2 center they hoped they drafted. If that impresses you than maybe you should raise your expectations rather than asking others to lower theirs. 3

30 point production is the minimum standard for a 3rd line player. Absolutely nothing special about that in any way. He's also 22, so not exactly an 18 or 19 year old rookie coming into the league. Add to that his production in junior and the lack thereof in the NHL and it makes for an even less impressive showing.

Not a question of setting my expectations lower, but maybe you should set your higher as he's done absolutely nothing to date to warrant any hype at all.

I don't even know what you're arguing. The Habs have said exactly what I've said about Newhook. lol. What are you even arguing about here???

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Sorry if two, 30 point seasons with ample opportunity playing in the top 2 lines doesn't impress me, especially considering the Avs needed him to be the no. 2 center they hoped they drafted. If that impresses you than maybe you should raise your expectations rather than asking others to lower theirs. 3

30 point production is the minimum standard for a 3rd line player. Absolutely nothing special about that in any way. He's also 22, so not exactly an 18 or 19 year old rookie coming into the league. Add to that his production in junior and the lack thereof in the NHL and it makes for an even less impressive showing.

Not a question of setting my expectations lower, but maybe you should set your higher as he's done absolutely nothing to date to warrant any hype at all.

I don't even know what you're arguing. The Habs have said exactly what I've said about Newhook. lol. What are you even arguing about here???

You misread completely what the Habs & Avs have said, I explained that about as well as I could and you keep choosing to move the goal posts.

Not one player drafted last year scored 30 points. Have they all underperformed?

Context matters if you want to make a sound argument.

Anyways, no need to keep going back & forth if you don't want to address any of the points I've made.

I do think we both agree that Newhook is well positioned for a career year, so let's hope we are both right on that.

Cheers

Reactions: OldCraig71

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
You misread completely what the Habs & Avs have said, I explained that about as well as I could and you keep choosing to move the goal posts.

Not one player drafted last year scored 30 points. Have they all underperformed?

Context matters if you want to make a sound argument.

Anyways, no need to keep going back & forth if you don't want to address any of the points I've made.

I do think we both agree that Newhook is well positioned for a career year, so let's hope we are both right on that.

Cheers
Like I said, Newhook wasn’t an 18 or 19 year old when he scored 30 points.

Also, you haven’t made any pints. You keep spouting the same things over and over that I’m not arguing with over. Lol.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
So given all you just said, is this 33 point, undersized offensive minded, 3rd liner currently worth a 1st, 2nd and prospect? If so, why?
You can't just say "1st" like it's this premium top 10 pick tho, it's a super late 1st, context does matter there

And then, what exactly more do you expect from a package like that? Taylor Hall? Like what do people want exactly, I find people are having a bit of trouble with their "values" these days

And then if you just keep the picks outright, If people can't see we don't get a better player at 31 or 37 (who will take 3+ years to get here), then I mean what are we doing here lol

I'm not guaranteeing 50-60 points by any means, but it's just weird not feeling optimistic about this kid with much better chances and a coach better suited for his game
I find it hard people have trouble with the fact that this kid didn't come out of the gate with back to back 60 point seasons like..? What? He was 21? He's a 16th overall
Lafreniere as a 1st ov has yet to hit 40 points in his career, and he's still not a bust, and his points increase incrementally every year

You know why? Because they are freaking kids lol and they should be growing year by year, the trick is identifying who will be the best versions of themselves at 24 25 26+
I just don't see how Newhook doesn't impress this year, poised for a breakout after paying his dues as a middle 6er on a Championship caliber team.

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006

Can you give examples of a 21-22 year old kid with 77 games of NHL experience under his belt stepping into the lineup of the defending Stanley Cup champions and becoming their undisputed second line center ?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
You can't just say "1st" like it's this premium top 10 pick tho, it's a super late 1st, context does matter there

And then, what exactly more do you expect from a package like that? Taylor Hall? Like what do people want exactly, I find people are having a bit of trouble with their "values" these days

And then if you just keep the picks outright, If people can't see we don't get a better player at 31 or 37 (who will take 3+ years to get here), then I mean what are we doing here lol

I'm not guaranteeing 50-60 points by any means, but it's just weird not feeling optimistic about this kid with much better chances and a coach better suited for his game
I find it hard people have trouble with the fact that this kid didn't come out of the gate with back to back 60 point seasons like..? What? He was 21? He's a 16th overall
Lafreniere as a 1st ov has yet to hit 40 points in his career, and he's still not a bust, and his points increase incrementally every year

You know why? Because they are freaking kids lol and they should be growing year by year, the trick is identifying who will be the best versions of themselves at 24 25 26+
I just don't see how Newhook doesn't impress this year, poised for a breakout after paying his dues as a middle 6er on a Championship caliber team.

He was taken 16th which literally the middle. Not super early or "super late."

I do not expect him to be a superstar player at all. I don't expect anything from him which is ironic because posters keep saying I have un realistic expectations of him, when I've literally said in multiple posts that I don't have any expectations. Given the picks gave up for him, I'd be nice if he could develop into the offensive player he was in junior and become a 60+ point player but I don't expect anything from him.

I don't know why everyone is getting so worked up over this to the point of irrationality or selective vision. He's moot to me. I don't care one way or another what he does. I wish him the best as a Habs fan but I suspect he'll be a middle six player for the Habs as he was with the AV's, at least after the kids start moving up the lineup.

Can you give examples of a 21-22 year old kid with 77 games of NHL experience under his belt stepping into the lineup of the defending Stanley Cup champions and becoming their undisputed second line center ?
Missing the point here. The fact he's playing on a Cup team means they have higher quality players to play with. Avs had serious injuries throughout the year and wanted him to step up into the top two center role, which he didn't. Ended up sticking on the 3rd line and produced as such. I'm not seeing the miraculous performance others are seeing with their rose coloured glasses. I see him for what he's done, which isn't much.

I never said he's done developing, quite the opposite actually. But until he starts adding more offensive to his game, he is what he is.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I do not expect him to be a superstar player at all. I don't expect anything from him which is ironic because posters keep saying I have un realistic expectations of him, when I've literally said in multiple posts that I don't have any expectations. Given the picks gave up for him, I'd be nice if he could develop into the offensive player he was in junior and become a 60+ point player but I don't expect anything from him.

I don't know why everyone is getting so worked up over this to the point of irrationality or selective vision. He's moot to me. I don't care one way or another what he does. I wish him the best as a Habs fan but I suspect he'll be a middle six player for the Habs as he was with the AV's, at least after the kids start moving up the lineup.

If I was forced to bet on something today, I would agree... he is a projected middle 6F type. One that can play either 2nd or 3rd lines. I think we made this move due his untapped potential and his style of play fits our team. Being able to play center was also part of it. Just look at the injuries up the middle last season and how we were forced to play Drouin at center at times?

I think most know and agree he don't have Dach's potential. It's OK, he can still be a good middle 6F for us and who knows how much he improves from now till his prime.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It's quite common for players to hit the 250-300 game mark in the NHL and become what they were drafted to be.

Yup. Impatience is the name of the game these days among a large chunk of fans.

Might be revisionist on my part, but I swear that's it's far worse now than it was a decade ago... Posters have far more unrealistic expectations about how quickly a player will hit their potential, anchoring their perception to the rare outliers rather the the vast majority. Sign of the times I suppose

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Yup. Impatience is the name of the game these days among a large chunk of fans.

Might be revisionist on my part, but I swear that's it's far worse now than it was a decade ago... Posters have far more unrealistic expectations about how quickly a player will hit their potential, anchoring their perception to the rare outliers rather the the vast majority. Sign of the times I suppose
Signs of the times indeed

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
Signs of the times indeed
I remember when, in this same forum, the almost consensus was that the Habs rushed their prospects (Kostitsyn, Latendresse, Price, etc.) and that they should take the old Red Wings way (Franzen, Filppula, Lebda, Kronwall, etc.) that created magic with lowend round picks.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

His production in college was equal to Boldy's. Boldy may have owed his production to Newhook. He was NOT given a chance to excel with Colorado. He played with garbage. If he didn't fit Bednar's style of play then Sakic was stupid to draft him.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I remember when, in this same forum, the almost consensus was that the Habs rushed their prospects (Kostitsyn, Latendresse, Price, etc.) and that they should take the old Red Wings way (Franzen, Filppula, Lebda, Kronwall, etc.) that created magic with lowend round picks.

Datsyuk d+4 - 35 pt season (35 career pts)
Zetterberg d+4 - 44pt season (44 career pts)
Newhook d+4 - 30pt season (66 career pts)

Ladies & gents, Hughes just snagged a future HOFer

:sarcasm:

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
His production in college was equal to Boldy's. Boldy may have owed his production to Newhook. He was NOT given a chance to excel with Colorado. He played with garbage. If he didn't fit Bednar's style of play then Sakic was stupid to draft him.
He fits the speedy type game they played pretty well but then not getting much opportunities due to them wanting to compete and not developing is what ceiled it probably.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006

Missing the point here. The fact he's playing on a Cup team means they have higher quality players to play with. Avs had serious injuries throughout the year and wanted him to step up into the top two center role, which he didn't. Ended up sticking on the 3rd line and produced as such. I'm not seeing the miraculous performance others are seeing with their rose coloured glasses. I see him for what he's done, which isn't much.

I never said he's done developing, quite the opposite actually. But until he starts adding more offensive to his game, he is what he is.
What point is it that you think I'm missing here ? Is it the one where Colorado's G.M. shit the bed by not acquiring a suitable second line center and instead relied on 21-22 year old Alex Newhook and his 77 games of NHL experience to replace veteran Nazem Kadri and and his 87 points on a Stanley Cup defending team ?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1909

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
That's interesting. Boldy and Newhook had similar production in college playing with each other. But while Boldy continued his progression and nearly doubling Newhook's NHL production (0.8 vs 0.4) you think Boldy benefitted from playing with Newhook and not the reverse? I mean when one guys continues his trajectory and the other falls off when not playing each other, usually the player who continues to do well is the one people say anchored the line, in this, Boldy. Interesting you think it's the opposite.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
That's interesting. Boldy and Newhook had similar production in college playing with each other. But while Boldy continued his progression and nearly doubling Newhook's NHL production (0.8 vs 0.4) you think Boldy benefitted from playing with Newhook and not the reverse? I mean when one guys continues his trajectory and the other falls off when not playing each other, usually the player who continues to do well is the one people say anchored the line, in this, Boldy. Interesting you think it's the opposite.
They were in 2 different situations in the NHL. Minnesota had very few good players and could afford to give Boldy significant ice time and good linemates. Colorado is a contender and contenders don't give prospects a lot of rope. And Bednar refuses to use prospect forwards. He will give a more worthless veteran plenty of ice time.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
They were in 2 different situations in the NHL. Minnesota had very few good players and could afford to give Boldy significant ice time and good linemates. Colorado is a contender and contenders don't give prospects a lot of rope. And Bednar refuses to use prospect forwards. He will give a more worthless veteran plenty of ice time.
This doesn't in any way, shape or form show that Boldy benefited from Newhook and not the other way around.

A team can give a young player chances but it's up to them to make it stick. Newhook was in fact given chances to play in the top 6 for a stanley cup caliber team (that means they're a good team) and he couldn't. Colorado WANTED him to become their 2nd line center. It's not like they held him back but for whatever reason, he wasn't able to parlay that into a full time role and was demoted. Argue all you want but that's the facts. I didn't make this up to try and slander the guy. I like him. I wish him well and I hope he finds his game in Montreal because he obviously didn't in Colorado or he'd still be there right now.

Don't take my word on this, take Newhook's: "“I felt like there were times that I maybe could have gotten a bit more opportunity and definitely could have done better with the opportunity that was given at times,” explained Newhook, who netted 30 points over 82 games last year with Colorado.

Please go back and re-read my post , I edited it for your convenience and fragile ego .
No thank you. My fragile ego just blocked you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad