Confirmed with Link: Alex Newhook: 4 years, 2.9 mill per

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Personally I have no issues if Newhook is a 40 point forward. 30 Would be a disappointing

People are just mad we gave up two high picks. Since we are rebuilding , but even if one of those picks hit of the two are you even guaranteed to get a player as good as newhook? Aka (30-40 point NHL player)

People are talking like its the end of the world if he's not a top 6er or 50 point guy lol. He's a solid hockey player under team control for many more years. If he's a good soldier for us and shows a bit of defensive improvement I have no problem with him being a 40 point guy.

I'm sure this has been done before , and I understand that management is different and our philosophy/approach to drafting has changed as well but:

Our only example of successful Late first/Second round picks since 2012 are Romanov and Lekhonen.

I refuse to put Mailloux or Hutson as successful picks right now until they actually put points up in the NHL. Its too early to tell.

23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
Sweden
Dalton Thrower​
23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
Canada
Sweden
Canada
Josh Brook​
Canada
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
Russia
Sweden
Jayden Struble​
Riley Kidney​
Canada
Canada
Lane Hutson​

Let's please remember that Lekhonen never put up more than 30 points on the Habs

Here is our late firsts since 2012.

Now I understand a lot of these picks were under our past regime , who quite frankly were nincompoops , But I'm sure if the exercise was done for other teams they would only have a few hits. Maybe more hits on NHL players than us but a majority would be total busts.

Just food for thought for those mad about the picks traded for him....

And I think Newhook is young enough to be able to improve so I don't see the issue with what we gave up. Would I have done it? No because i'm also a sucker for picks and prospects as much as the next guy and love the rebuild . But realistically we did not give up some crazy assets for the guy
To be fair though, it was a wasteland here since 2012 because we had morons running development. I wouldn’t say that 2nd rounders are rare to pan out. They were simply rare here where we had jackasses running the NHL and AHL teams.

He didn’t.

He changed linemates every few games. Playing with Nichushkin and Rodrigues here and there over the course of the season for about 6-7 times is not ‘’every chance to prove himself with good linemates’’. There was no stability. I don’t count that as a chance on the 2nd line.

He was already a useful 3rd liner at 20-21 years old.
From what I read it was between him and another young center. Both were dead even but the other guy got the opportunity…

Who knows? The kid was highly touted a few years back and we decided to take a shot. I’d say it paid off with Dach. Let’s see what happens here.

But this can easily be the Avs org people backing up the trade unconditionally , as in, our gm did the trade, so he must know what he's doing we just won the cup, I stand by my gm's decisions blah blah blah
Our team PR machine went into overdrive trashing PK after we traded him. It’s possible that’s what’s happening here.

Then again, maybe he really does suck. :laugh:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Well the Avs traded him, so I guess by their metrics as the team that drafted, developed and played him, he was a disappointment or they would've kept him. He obviously didn't live up to their expectations so they traded him before he became another Tyson Jost.

So I'll say by the Avs standard.

That's an odd standard... Being traded isn't, on its own, a sign of being unwanted or a disapointment to the team trading the player.
Was Romanov a disappointment? Or just an asset leveraged to acquire a player better fitting the team's cap/roster make up & direction?

But I'll also add sports media who call him a reclamation project, Habs management who think he hasn't reached his full potential and by fans.

Most of his draft class haven't reached their full potential yet... The impatience of fans & media is a poor standard imo

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/montr...hes-appears-thrilled-with-his-new-acquisition "
Make no mistake, Alex Newhook is a reclamation project. He was drafted on June 21, 2019 in Vancouver between Cole Caufield at 15th overall and Sabres forward Peyton Krebs, drafted by the Vegas Golden Knights at 17th overall, but hasn't shown much of the promise of those two dynamic players. Hughes is banking on the inspiration of Marty St. Louis to unlock Newhook's full potential.

The Canadiens head coach is confident that a bigger role will help the forward find his game. "
[Newhook] will have the opportunity to be in a better chair," St. Louis said. "He's a player that reflects a lot in what we're looking for from a culture point of view, and style of play. He's not the biggest player but he plays heavy. I think we're able to bring a player into an environment where he can show more."

A head coach thinks a young player getting more minutes & a bigger role will help... Seems par for the course to me :dunno:

Again, hardly a matter of underperforming. If anything, that's a validation that the performance to date is reflective/reasonable given the opportunity provided.

You can also add to that with the constant comparisons to the Dach move last year where a former high pick hadn't reached their potential and did much better playing for the Habs, which is the hope for Newhook. If he was already performing to his potential and was a finished product, the comparison wouldn't be made and Habs management wouldn't think there was more there for them to bring out but rather to just add him to the fold as a complete player. In addition, I don' think the Habs are giving up a 1st, 2nd and prospect for a 30 point player. That would be VERY disappointing.

Dach was a 3rd overall pick, not late teens.

And case in point, prior to getting top 6 minutes in Montreal last year, had produced less than Newhook... The similarity implied, I would offer, is that with a bigger opportunity the team believes Newhook will produce more... That, again, doesn't mean he was underperforming, if anything it says the team looked at his play and saw strong enough performance to believe he's ready to do more with an opportunity he wasn't getting in a roster with established elite top 6 players in their prime..

So I think it's pretty clear to anyone who's seen, heard or read about this move that Newhook trade was about his potential to do more, and not his current state of play.

Disagree with your read on the situation. Perhaps it's just semantics, but I don't think MSL or Hughes see Newhook as a player who "underperformed", I think they see a player who has performed well in the role/opportunity he was given and that is ready to do more with a bigger opportunity... One we are perfectly suited to provide.

Also, the Avs GM's own words suggest that they valued Newhook and directly contradict your take:

"How would you evaluate the Alex Newhook trade and the return?"

"Alex is a really good hockey player. He’s young, he’s got a lot of runway left, he’s on an affordable contract. He’s a former first round pick (and) Stanley Cup champion. He’s a good player. He’s gonna be really good in Montreal. You got to give to get. We wanted to get more draft capital and getting a first and second was a good swing which allowed us to make the move that we made this morning with Tampa."

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Our team PR machine went into overdrive trashing PK after we traded him. It’s possible that’s what’s happening here.

Then again, maybe he really does suck. :laugh:

More like people around here haven't paid much attention to what the Avs leadership , as opposed to fans and media, has to say about the player & the trade.

"Gotta give to get" is a far cry from giving up on an "underperforming" young player lol

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
To be fair though, it was a wasteland here since 2012 because we had morons running development. I wouldn’t say that 2nd rounders are rare to pan out. They were simply rare here where we had jackasses running the NHL and AHL teams.
I totally agree but until the new regime show us they can develop drafted talent I'm not getting my hopes up for Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, Tinordi or Scherbak, oops I mean Slafkovsky ,Hutson, Mailloux and Mesar :sarcasm:;)

No but seriously I like the kids and I like management but nobody gets the benefit of the doubt anymore after 20 years of awful developing/drafting sorry its put up or shut up for these dudes.... I got nothing but patience but these guys NEED to pan out

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
That's an odd standard... Being traded isn't, on its own, a sign of being unwanted or a disapointment to the team trading the player.
Was Romanov a disappointment? Or just an asset leveraged to acquire a player better fitting the team's cap/roster make up & direction?

Most of his draft class haven't reached their full potential yet... The impatience of fans & media is a poor standard imo

A head coach thinks a young player getting more minutes & a bigger role will help... Seems par for the course to me :dunno:

Again, hardly a matter of underperforming. If anything, that's a validation that the performance to date is reflective/reasonable given the opportunity provided.

Dach was a 3rd overall pick, not late teens.

And case in point, prior to getting top 6 minutes in Montreal last year, had produced less than Newhook... The similarity implied, I would offer, is that with a bigger opportunity the team believes Newhook will produce more... That, again, doesn't mean he was underperforming, if anything it says the team looked at his play and saw strong enough performance to believe he's ready to do more with an opportunity he wasn't getting in a roster with established elite top 6 players in their prime..

Disagree with your read on the situation. Perhaps it's just semantics, but I don't think MSL or Hughes see Newhook as a player who "underperformed", I think they see a player who has performed well in the role/opportunity he was given and that is ready to do more with a bigger opportunity... One we are perfectly suited to provide.

Also, the Avs GM's own words suggest that they valued Newhook and directly contradict your take:

"How would you evaluate the Alex Newhook trade and the return?"

"Alex is a really good hockey player. He’s young, he’s got a lot of runway left, he’s on an affordable contract. He’s a former first round pick (and) Stanley Cup champion. He’s a good player. He’s gonna be really good in Montreal. You got to give to get. We wanted to get more draft capital and getting a first and second was a good swing which allowed us to make the move that we made this morning with Tampa."
I think it’s interesting that you believe a 22 year old player selected 16th OA, who’s scored no more than 33 points on a Stanley Cup winking team is “ahead of the curve.” 33 points for an offensive forward on a Stanley Cup team is anything but “ahead of the curve.”

I for one hope he has a LOT more in the tank after what it cost to get him.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I totally agree but until the new regime show us they can develop drafted talent I'm not getting my hopes up for Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, Tinordi or Scherbak, oops I mean Slafkovsky ,Hutson, Mailloux and Mesar :sarcasm:;)

No but seriously I like the kids and I like management but nobody gets the benefit of the doubt anymore after 20 years of awful developing/drafting sorry its put up or shut up for these dudes.... I got nothing but patience but these guys NEED to pan out
We’ve already seen players who were drafted by the old regime start to succeed. Look at Caufield. He was on his way to bustville before MSL rescued him from Dr Dumb.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I think it’s interesting that you believe a 22 year old player selected 16th OA, who’s scored no more than 33 points on a Stanley Cup winking team is “ahead of the curve.” 33 points for an offensive forward on a Stanley Cup team is anything but “ahead of the curve.”

He was not really used in an offensive role though.

He mainly played on the third line with guys like Compher, Aube-Kubel, Rodrigues and O'Connor.

30 points from the third line in your first couple of seasons in the NHL is far from bad.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
He was not really used in an offensive role though.

He mainly played on the third line with guys like Compher, Aube-Kubel, Rodrigues and O'Connor.

30 points from the third line in your first couple of seasons in the NHL is far from bad.
Never said it was bad. Said it was not up to his expected production and hope he can get closer to being the player he was drafted to be because paying a 1st, 2nd and prospect is a steep price to pay for an undersized, 30 point 3rd liner.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Never said it was bad. Said it was not up to his expected production and hope he can get closer to being the player he was drafted to be because paying a 1st, 2nd and prospect is a steep price to pay for an undersized, 30 point 3rd liner.
Fairbrother is nothing. The equivalent of 2 early 2nds is cheap for a player of Newhook's calibre.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Fairbrother is nothing. The equivalent of 2 early 2nds is cheap for a player of Newhook's calibre.
For a player of his potential caliber. I dont get why this is so hard to understand. He’s done f*** all so far in his career. Until he does, he is what he is. Could he do more? I hope so. Avs got Devon Toews for two 2nds. Hope Newhook can come close to that trade.

Reactions: Scriptor

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I wonder why (on talent alone) Newhook doesn’t get any of the RHP love that’s so obvious around here?
I completely understand the what have you done for me lately sentiment. Newhook will simply have to play his way into fans hearts. RHP is a good story but we've seen time and again what happens to young players once they start to feel comfortable. There is no way he can keep up that Balls to the Wall manic throw your body in the way of everything approach indefinitely. As for the scoring the only way he can maintain it is to win a top six role. Is that realistic?

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Three guys typically become top players ( top 6F/top 4D/1G) from 2nd round. Due to the high picks say 4 of 32 or 12.5 % per pick to be a top player, or 25% for both.

So the question is, does Newhook have a better than 25% chance of being a top 6F ?

Other issue is diversity. Mixing up picking at the draft with adding young players or prospects. I have no idea if that's a good strategy,but why not I guess.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
I completely understand the what have you done for me lately sentiment. Newhook will simply have to play his way into fans hearts. RHP is a good story but we've seen time and again what happens to young players once they start to feel comfortable. There is no way he can keep up that Balls to the Wall manic throw your body in the way of everything approach indefinitely. As for the scoring the only way he can maintain it is to win a top six role. Is that realistic?
Yes I agree. I like RHP and he lit it up for a minute last year. As fantastic as that was I don’t see him beating out other players for a top 6 spot so where does that leave him? I’d rather him play big minutes in Laval than on the 4th line or press box duty.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

You'd be less surprised if you grounded your expectations in the reality of how draft classes progress in the league.

I think everyone believes he has "more in the tank", including his former GM. Very few players become NHL regulars by his age, fewer so on cup winning teams.

By relative standards (relative to players drafted his year), his point output is "ahead of the curve"... Not one player drafted after him has surpassed him, and he's outproduced a few players ahead of him. I'm surprised you choose to ignore these facts in formulating your opinion of the player :dunno:

Also...
16OA from 2018 (Kraut) has fewer games & points
16OA from 2017 (Valimaki) has played 1 more NHL game despite 2 additional yrs

16OA from 2020... Our own Guhle, who is looking promising, but has played less NHL games than Newhook achieved at same point, on a far far better team...

We could nitpick around to find players picked later that have excelled, of course, but my point in looking quickly at the 2 previous drafts 16OA was to see what kind of impact came before him from that spot... Perhaps your expectations of a mid/late teens first rounder is a bit inflated?

Last edited:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
For a player of his potential caliber. I dont get why this is so hard to understand. He’s done f*** all so far in his career. Until he does, he is what he is. Could he do more? I hope so. Avs got Devon Toews for two 2nds. Hope Newhook can come close to that trade.
Lots of guys have their development impaired by idiot coaches. Newhook, MicMichael, Lafreniere, Tomasino, Caufield. And that's just the guys I have in my keeper league.
And with Colorado no drafted forward has turned out. Jost, Compher, Newhook. So either the coach is at fault or the scouts are.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Devon Toews wasn't the Devon Toews we all know today when he was acquired at by the Avs either.

They took a calculated risk and so did the Habs with Newhook.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
At 31 and 37 we would have drafted more of what we already have an abundance of in our prospect pool while Newhook is a plug and play asset with a ton of upside . Well worth the gamble in my opinion .
It’s amusing to see the same people criticizing Hughes for his timidity in selecting the ‘safe’ Reinbacher over the ‘high risk/high reward’ Michkov, are soiling themselves over Hughes’ aggressive ‘gamble’ in trading the 31 and 37 picks for Newhook. Talk about blowing and sucking at the same time.

Devon Toews wasn't the Devon Toews we all know today when he was acquired at by the Avs either.

A good way to govern one’s decisions.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Belial

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
You'd be less surprised if you grounded your expectations in the reality of how draft classes progress in the league.

I think everyone believes he has "more in the tank", including his former GM. Very few players become NHL regulars by his age, fewer so on cup winning teams.

By relative standards (relative to players drafted his year), his point output is "ahead of the curve"... Not one player drafted after him has surpassed him, and he's outproduced a few players ahead of him. I'm surprised you choose to ignore these facts in formulating your opinion of the player :dunno:

Also...
16OA from 2018 (Kraut) has fewer games & points
16OA from 2017 (Valimaki) has played 1 more NHL game despite 2 additional yrs

16OA from 2020... Our own Guhle, who is looking promising, but has played less NHL games than Newhook achieved at same point, on a far far better team...

We could nitpick around to find players picked later that have excelled, of course, but my point in looking quickly at the 2 previous drafts 16OA was to see what kind of impact came before him from that spot... Perhaps your expectations of a mid/late teens first rounder is a bit inflated?

So given all you just said, is this 33 point, undersized offensive minded, 3rd liner currently worth a 1st, 2nd and prospect? If so, why?

Lots of guys have their development impaired by idiot coaches. Newhook, MicMichael, Lafreniere, Tomasino, Caufield. And that's just the guys I have in my keeper league.
And with Colorado no drafted forward has turned out. Jost, Compher, Newhook. So either the coach is at fault or the scouts are.

Happens all the time. You're saying what I am. I hope he can do better and than he has in the past and can live up to his expectations because as of now, he has not.

It's funny but I was elated when they got Dach because he had all the tangible tools and potential to become a better version of his previous self and in a big way. I see the same with Newhook but at a much lesser extent. I hope he can become a useful player and get some of his offence spark he dominated with in junior back, but I'm not nearly as sold on him as I was with Dach. Time will tell and I'd be happy if he lit it up and made me look like a doubting Thomas when he rips 60+ points. Until then, I'll wish him the best.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
A good way to govern one’s decisions.
I mean, remains to be seen if this Newhook deal plays out similarly but I think there's enough data there to suggest it could.

I read alot of folks say he's a 30pt forward but he's mostly been on the 3rd line and if you're playing 12 mins a game, that's about what you're going to produce over a full season.

Reactions: Redux91

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I mean, remains to be seen if this Newhook deal plays out similarly but I think there's enough data there to suggest it could.

I read alot of folks say he's a 30pt forward but he's mostly been on the 3rd line and if you're playing 12 mins a game, that's about what you're going to produce over a full season.
All business transactions entail an element of risk. There are no certainties in life. All one can do is to try limiting those risks by employing a well thought out decision making process. I suspect that Hughes and his team carefully considered Newhook's past performance and decided that this player has untapped potential that can provide the team with an important element in the team's re-build if that potential can be realized. Their decision was that such untapped potential was worth the cost/risk in the draft choices surrendered. Their decision was the essence of accepting a calculated risk.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Newhook's issue with the Avs was 3rd line role (c/winger) and they needed him to fill a 2C spot last year and it didn't work out. I like the versatility he has as a winger who can play center if needed but on the Avs, he really didn't have a good center to feed off of.

Newhook to me is a Middle 6F. Can he move up to be a sure shot top 6F? Not sure and we are about to find out. New team with new players and a coach who supports offensive instincts without getting obsessed with assignments.

I think there is a good chance he gels well with Dach. But I'm not even sure Dach plays full time at center this year. Many have him penciled in the 2C spot but I can see him getting time with Suzuki/Caufield again.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

D Toews was trending better the season before he was traded vs how Newhook did last year. Anybody watching the Islanders play would know how much he was performing well beyond the points approach.

Regardless, I do agree it was a calculated risks and we added a very young winger who has high energy to his game and can play center if needed. It's not that probable to get a Newhook quality with the picks we gave up. Mesar vs Newhook for example?

Reactions: 417

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
So given all you just said, is this 33 point, undersized offensive minded, 3rd liner currently worth a 1st, 2nd and prospect? If so, why?

He is "worth" Fairbrother, 31st & 37th pick... Because that's what he was traded for... That's the value the Avs were able to get for him.

Do I like that the Habs are the ones who paid that price? Absolutely.

Few 30+ picks end up as good as Newhook has already been, and I agree with the Avs & Habs GMs that he has a lot more room to grow & that he'll get a bigger opportunity on our lottery picking roster than on the Avs cup contending one.

Though not sure why you are poding this question as a response to your "underperforming" narrative being questioned & shown to be ungrounded
:dunno:

Happens all the time. You're saying what I am. I hope he can do better and than he has in the past and can live up to his expectations because as of now, he has not.

Disagree still. You seem to have unrealistic expectations, as I've pointed out previously.

It's funny but I was elated when they got Dach because he had all the tangible tools and potential to become a better version of his previous self and in a big way. I see the same with Newhook but at a much lesser extent. I hope he can become a useful player and get some of his offence spark he dominated with in junior back, but I'm not nearly as sold on him as I was with Dach. Time will tell and I'd be happy if he lit it up and made me look like a doubting Thomas when he rips 60+ points. Until then, I'll wish him the best.

Not surprising that you see more potential in the 3rd overall pick from 2019 than the 16OA pick... That's the reason both were picked where they were, don't you think?

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad