Confirmed with Link: Alex Newhook: 4 years, 2.9 mill per

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
If Newhook is a "project" then the word has lost all meaning, he's already an established NHLer who put up 30P in limited minutes with weak linemates at 21 and 22. I don't think it's really a stretch to expect those numbers to improve playing 16+ minutes in a top 6 role and getting PP time.

Last edited:

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
“doth protest too much, methinks” lol

Emil Heineman looked good last year.However, I’m not sure there’s a spot for him on the big club until we move some bodies out.
one thing is certain if he and Guhle are as unsuccessful as Newhook through their D+4 I’ll be happy, lol. Cheers

• Haha
Reactions: Rapala

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Newhook, a former 1st round pick produced at around .40 PPG on a Stanley Cup Champion team after being given every chance to play a prominent role on the team.

RHP, a former 7th round pick produced at around .60 PPG on a bottom 5 team while playing like a man possessed every shift he was on the ice and constantly made things happen.

Tricky as to why fans give RHP more "love" than Newhook... :sarcasm:
Not true. He mostly played around 12 minutes with guys like O’Connor and Cogliano. No PP.

By the way RHP had an insane shooting %, he won’t be able to reproduce that. And was force feeded 19-20 minutes a night with Suzuki and PP1 time on top of it because everyone was injured.

Not at all the same context.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Not true. He mostly played around 12 minutes with guys like O’Connor and Cogliano. No PP.

By the way RHP had an insane shooting %, he won’t be able to reproduce that. And was force feeded 19-20 minutes a night with Suzuki and PP1 time on top of it because everyone was injured.

Not at all the same context.
According to multiple reports, that's very true. Avs were dying for a center and played Newhook on the 2nd line and with good linemates multiple times, but he never proved himself. Word out of Colorado is that they weren't sad to see him leave because of this very reason.

Hope he can turn it around in a new system, with new teammates but I'm not holding my breathe that'll he be the next version of Dach. I hope he can become a useful 3rd liner and move up the lineup in a pinch but we'll see.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
According to multiple reports, that's very true. Avs were dying for a center and played Newhook on the 2nd line and with good linemates multiple times, but he never proved himself. Word out of Colorado is that they weren't sad to see him leave because of this very reason.

Hope he can turn it around in a new system, with new teammates but I'm not holding my breathe that'll he be the next version of Dach. I hope he can become a useful 3rd liner and move up the lineup in a pinch but we'll see.
He didn’t.

He changed linemates every few games. Playing with Nichushkin and Rodrigues here and there over the course of the season for about 6-7 times is not ‘’every chance to prove himself with good linemates’’. There was no stability. I don’t count that as a chance on the 2nd line.

He was already a useful 3rd liner at 20-21 years old.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
If Newhook is a "project" then the word has lost all meaning, he's already an established NHLer who put up 30P in limited minutes with weak linemates at 21 and 22. I don't think it's really a stretch to expect those numbers to improve playing 16+ minutes in a top 6 role and getting PP time.
Expectations…. Newhook won’t be expected to dump and retrieve the puck by winning board battles (Avs expectation), instead playing to his strengths of speed & skill in a transition concept (Habs expectation)

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Newhook is NOT a project. What he has accomplished thus far on a Championship Team is laudable. He obviously paid attention to detail or he wouldn't have gotten the ice time that he did. He brings potential on the upside and a firmly established cellar. He will be better than the third liners we've been used to and has the potential to be a top six guy. How is that a project?
I can already see the posts in our future GDTs lol
Whoooooole bunch of people will be saying "WOW I didn't realize how fast he was!" ooooover and over lol
Hugo and MSL want speedsters to catch teams off guard on rushes, I think we'll be seeing a loooot of 2 on 1's featuring Newhook this year
I just wonder if he can get himself as many breakaways as Byron, would be great too

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
He didn’t.

He changed linemates every few games. Playing with Nichushkin and Rodrigues here and there over the course of the season for about 6-7 times is not ‘’every chance to prove himself with good linemates’’. There was no stability. I don’t count that as a chance on the 2nd line.

Well apparently not:

“I spoke to several people around the Avalanche. They all say the same thing. This guy was given every chance. We gave him opportunities, we put him on the second line. He just failed. – David Ettedgui

He also said no one mourned Newhook's departure to Colorado.

While he may not the best source for trade rumours etc. I don think he would outright lie about conversations he's had with people in Avs org.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
He didn’t.

He changed linemates every few games. Playing with Nichushkin and Rodrigues here and there over the course of the season for about 6-7 times is not ‘’every chance to prove himself with good linemates’’. There was no stability. I don’t count that as a chance on the 2nd line.And Rodriguez is shit.

Rodriguez is crap. Nichuskin is not going to do anything for a developing player. If he didn't play on the 1st line there was nothing to work with.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Well apparently not:

“I spoke to several people around the Avalanche. They all say the same thing. This guy was given every chance. We gave him opportunities, we put him on the second line. He just failed. – David Ettedgui

While he may not the best source for trade rumours etc. I don think he would outright lie about conversations he's had with people in Avs org.
But this can easily be the Avs org people backing up the trade unconditionally , as in, our gm did the trade, so he must know what he's doing we just won the cup, I stand by my gm's decisions blah blah blah

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Well apparently not:

I can believe that Colorado feels that way, but they really did not give him a serious shot on the 2nd line. Here's his 5v5 TOI chart from last year, sort by "TOI WITH" and you can see he spent the most time with Rodrigues, only played with Rantanen for 10 minutes longer than he did with Denis Malgin, and didn't even hit 40 mins with MacKinnon. There's a lot of smaller individual numbers down the list that add up to a lot of time spent with a grab bag of random bottom sixers as well.

I think the trade makes sense for both sides. Sometimes young players just aren't the right fit for contenders early in their careers without being busts. Colorado doesn't have time to wait for Newhook to develop and needed some improvement at C (and different stylistic elements) so they turned him into Colton + an extra pick, and they took on Johansen to be a short-term 2C. Montreal has the opportunity to fit Newhook into the top 6 on the wing and juice his TOI to get more production out of him and see if they can find a top 6 winger where Colorado was more interested in trying to turn him into a 2C, and Montreal still has the floor of a pretty solid 3C if things don't work out on the wing.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Well apparently not:

The way I read the above is that David Ettedgui messaged a few AVs fans on his reddit account.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
But this can easily be the Avs org people backing up the trade unconditionally , as in, our gm did the trade, so he must know what he's doing we just won the cup, I stand by my gm's decisions blah blah blah

I can believe that Colorado feels that way, but they really did not give him a serious shot on the 2nd line. Here's his 5v5 TOI chart from last year, sort by "TOI WITH" and you can see he spent the most time with Rodrigues, only played with Rantanen for 10 minutes longer than he did with Denis Malgin, and didn't even hit 40 mins with MacKinnon. There's a lot of smaller individual numbers down the list that add up to a lot of time spent with a grab bag of random bottom sixers as well.

I think the trade makes sense for both sides. Sometimes young players just aren't the right fit for contenders early in their careers without being busts. Colorado doesn't have time to wait for Newhook to develop and needed some improvement at C (and different stylistic elements) so they turned him into Colton + an extra pick, and they took on Johansen to be a short-term 2C. Montreal has the opportunity to fit Newhook into the top 6 on the wing and juice his TOI to get more production out of him and see if they can find a top 6 winger where Colorado was more interested in trying to turn him into a 2C, and Montreal still has the floor of a pretty solid 3C if things don't work out on the wing.

The way I read the above is that David Ettedgui messaged a few AVs fans on his reddit account.

Anyway you cut it, Newhook's performance and numbers in Colorado were not great and he under performed what his expectations were. There could be a million excuses as to why and the circumstances, but at the end of the day he didn't work out there, I hope he does better here and Habs can fit him into and better integrate him into the lineup and play to his strengths, but as of now, he hasn't shown anything much. Still young and as a Habs fan, I hope he can turn it around but I'm not holding my breathe yet. Happy to be wrong at the expense of his success.

Reactions: Redux91

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
???

I'd be perfectly happy with a player putting up 30 points from the third line in his first and second seasons.
As a former 16th OA pick and dominate junior career where they retired his number, more was expected from him.

I think it's great your expectations are muted, but obviously he disappointed in Colorado or they wouldn't have traded him and all the "he's the new Dach" comments wouldn't be relevant.

So I think it's safe to say, he's been underwhelming and hasn't produced to the level most would've hoped for him, to date...

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
As a former 16th OA pick and dominate junior career where they retired his number, more was expected from him.

I think it's great your expectations are muted, but obviously he disappointed in Colorado or they wouldn't have traded him and all the "he's the new Dach" comments wouldn't be relevant.

So I think it's safe to say, he's been underwhelming and hasn't produced to the level most would've hoped for him, to date...
It is still early in the game. With 66 points he has more points than everyone drafted after him in the 2019 draft.

He may well yet dominate, well worth the risk of what was paid to acquire him.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Anyway you cut it, Newhook's performance and numbers in Colorado were not great and he under performed what his expectations were. There could be a million excuses as to why and the circumstances, but at the end of the day he didn't work out there, I hope he does better here and Habs can fit him into and better integrate him into the lineup and play to his strengths, but as of now, he hasn't shown anything much. Still young and as a Habs fan, I hope he can turn it around but I'm not holding my breathe yet. Happy to be wrong at the expense of his success.

The narrative that he "underperformed" is quite interesting...

You do realize that only 4 players from his draft class have played more NHL games than he has so far... And he earned those games on a cup contending & cup winning roster.

Pts-wise, he sits 9th... And again, this is on a cup contender where he was in 3rd line role with minimal pp time. Kakko is the only fwd ahead of him pts-wise who isn't a top 6 regular on their respective team.

So by what standard do you consider him to have "underperformed"? Relative to his draft spot & draft class, he's trending ahead of the curve in pts & NHL time, that would strike me as a net positive :dunno:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He's a project the same way Dach is/was.

Jul 6, 2016

They will start him in the top six... and as a winger. Unless they place Dach on a wing again (1st line), and Monahan to center the 3rd while Dvorak is nursing his injury.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Personally I have no issues if Newhook is a 40 point forward. 30 Would be a disappointing

People are just mad we gave up two high picks. Since we are rebuilding , but even if one of those picks hit of the two are you even guaranteed to get a player as good as newhook? Aka (30-40 point NHL player)

People are talking like its the end of the world if he's not a top 6er or 50 point guy lol. He's a solid hockey player under team control for many more years. If he's a good soldier for us and shows a bit of defensive improvement I have no problem with him being a 40 point guy.

I'm sure this has been done before , and I understand that management is different and our philosophy/approach to drafting has changed as well but:

Our only example of successful Late first/Second round picks since 2012 are Romanov and Lekhonen.

I refuse to put Mailloux or Hutson as successful picks right now until they actually put points up in the NHL. Its too early to tell.

23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
Sweden
Dalton Thrower​
23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
Canada
Sweden
Canada
Josh Brook​
Canada
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
Russia
Sweden
Jayden Struble​
Riley Kidney​
Canada
Canada
Lane Hutson​

Let's please remember that Lekhonen never put up more than 30 points on the Habs

Here is our late firsts since 2012.

Now I understand a lot of these picks were under our past regime , who quite frankly were nincompoops , But I'm sure if the exercise was done for other teams they would only have a few hits. Maybe more hits on NHL players than us but a majority would be total busts.

Just food for thought for those mad about the picks traded for him....

And I think Newhook is young enough to be able to improve so I don't see the issue with what we gave up. Would I have done it? No because i'm also a sucker for picks and prospects as much as the next guy and love the rebuild . But realistically we did not give up some crazy assets for the guy

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
The narrative that he "underperformed" is quite interesting...

You do realize that only 4 players from his draft class have played more NHL games than he has so far... And he earned those games on a cup contending & cup winning roster.

Pts-wise, he sits 9th... And again, this is on a cup contender where he was in 3rd line role with minimal pp time. Kakko is the only fwd ahead of him pts-wise who isn't a top 6 regular on their respective team.

So by what standard do you consider him to have "underperformed"? Relative to his draft spot & draft class, he's trending ahead of the curve in pts & NHL time, that would strike me as a net positive :dunno:
Well the Avs traded him, so I guess by their metrics as the team that drafted, developed and played him, he was a disappointment or they would've kept him. He obviously didn't live up to their expectations so they traded him before he became another Tyson Jost.

So I'll say by the Avs standard.

But I'll also add sports media who call him a reclamation project, Habs management who think he hasn't reached his full potential and by fans.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/montr...hes-appears-thrilled-with-his-new-acquisition "
Make no mistake, Alex Newhook is a reclamation project. He was drafted on June 21, 2019 in Vancouver between Cole Caufield at 15th overall and Sabres forward Peyton Krebs, drafted by the Vegas Golden Knights at 17th overall, but hasn't shown much of the promise of those two dynamic players. Hughes is banking on the inspiration of Marty St. Louis to unlock Newhook's full potential.

The Canadiens head coach is confident that a bigger role will help the forward find his game. "
[Newhook] will have the opportunity to be in a better chair," St. Louis said. "He's a player that reflects a lot in what we're looking for from a culture point of view, and style of play. He's not the biggest player but he plays heavy. I think we're able to bring a player into an environment where he can show more."

You can also add to that with the constant comparisons to the Dach move last year where a former high pick hadn't reached their potential and did much better playing for the Habs, which is the hope for Newhook. If he was already performing to his potential and was a finished product, the comparison wouldn't be made and Habs management wouldn't think there was more there for them to bring out but rather to just add him to the fold as a complete player. In addition, I don' think the Habs are giving up a 1st, 2nd and prospect for a 30 point player. That would be VERY disappointing.

So I think it's pretty clear to anyone who's seen, heard or read about this move that Newhook trade was about his potential to do more, and not his current state of play.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad