Confirmed with Link: Alex Iafallo, Rasmus Kuapri, Gabe Vilardi + 2024 2nd round pick to Winnipeg for Pierre-Luc Dubois

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Calling a defenseman boring isn't exactly a negative. We could use some boring after enduring some of the guys we were rolling out last year.
I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing either however I think that’s why he doesn’t get a chance. You know how Todd likes his men.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
You're not alone. I thought Bjornfot was pretty solid who just didn't put up big numbers. But he still did a good job activating offensively while minimizing defensive catastrophes.
That’s my take. After he was injured, in his short stints, who were his partners because IIRC it was mostly either Durzi or Walker whilst still finding his own game. Neither is going to help him settle back in or help his confidence. I remember thinking on several plays where he was exposed whilst out of position that he was trying to cover for his partner (pretty sure it was Durzi each time but can’t be 100% sure). He needs to be alongside Roy IMO to start the season and we will start to see him play much better as he will only need to focus on his own game.

He also needs to be able to play without feeling he has to be flawless because otherwise he sits. For an example of this see Byfield, Quinton. As soon as he was told he was on LW1 he settled into his game far better (scoring not withstanding). Letting young players feel trusted is everything, more so this generation than any before it.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
You know how Todd likes his men.
1690216464464.png

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Anytime you sign a player to a significant contract there's a risk.

People are complaining about the contract, but I think 8.5M is pretty damn reasonable and will probably age well considering he's 25.

The Kings are betting his best years are in front of him, not behind him. We'll see. He certainly has the upside.
his contract is more likely to be very reasonable as it ages IMO.

I have no issue with this contract, I have a little with the cost given it sounds like Winnipeg wanted NHL ready players so only LA was in, but have some issue with cap management as this leads to having not enough healthy scratches and goaltending tandem that is very weak.

Hope it pays off. When PLD is on he can be a game changer (look at Bubble year). LA should be fun to watch which I am pumped about.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
That’s my take. After he was injured, in his short stints, who were his partners because IIRC it was mostly either Durzi or Walker whilst still finding his own game. Neither is going to help him settle back in or help his confidence. I remember thinking on several plays where he was exposed whilst out of position that he was trying to cover for his partner (pretty sure it was Durzi each time but can’t be 100% sure). He needs to be alongside Roy IMO to start the season and we will start to see him play much better as he will only need to focus on his own game.

He also needs to be able to play without feeling he has to be flawless because otherwise he sits. For an example of this see Byfield, Quinton. As soon as he was told he was on LW1 he settled into his game far better (scoring not withstanding). Letting young players feel trusted is everything, more so this generation than any before it.
Bjornfot can also be Spence’s sidekick. They’ve played together for a whole season already. Should be a solid 3rd pairing, albeit undersized.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Bjornfot stats in the NHL two seasons ago. Real impact player. Englund will take this spot - mark my words.

2021-22Los Angeles KingsNHL700886-12

lol

Englund's stats in the NHL as a whole

NHL Totals8007759-13

I'm not convinced you're not confusing this guy for Deryk Engelland

plus if you look at his fight card, all the guys you want him to fight he has, and he's gotten the brakes beaten off him by all of them

That'll be really encouraging for the team

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
lol

Englund's stats in the NHL as a whole

NHL Totals8007759-13

I'm not convinced you're not confusing this guy for Deryk Engelland
The 59 penalty minutes indicates Englund has a pulse, unlike Bjornfot who is an inert object much like a pylon, bag or cardboard cutout figure.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The 59 penalty minutes indicates Englund has a pulse, unlike Bjornfot who is an inert object much like a pylon, bag or cardboard cutout figure.

I too love when my journeyman AHL defenseman puts my NHL team on the PK

Acting like this guy is some kind of gamechanger impact player is, kindly, a joke.

Again I'm all for team toughness but putting this plug in the lineup doesn't 'fix' that.

MacDermid is the superior player AND fighter and you saw how well that's worked out. But sure, bringing in the guy who concussed Turcotte to get his face punched by in by Kolesar once every 10 games will surely change the complexion of this roster.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Welcome to the big leagues, kid

thanks for saving us

ragdolled by a power forward

but once he gets sent to the hospital by reaves, the la kings will be tougher

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
I too love when my journeyman AHL defenseman puts my NHL team on the PK

Acting like this guy is some kind of gamechanger impact player is, kindly, a joke.

Again I'm all for team toughness but putting this plug in the lineup doesn't 'fix' that.

MacDermid is the superior player AND fighter and you saw how well that's worked out. But sure, bringing in the guy who concussed Turcotte to get his face punched by in by Kolesar once every 10 games will surely change the complexion of this roster.
There are several fighting majors in those minutes, and I have looked at some film on Englund. This is a truculent player who throws down, there isnt another D like him on the roster. I dont think he is just a plug. Bjornfot is the plug.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
There are several fighting majors in those minutes, and I have looked at some film on Englund. This is a truculent player who throws down, there isnt another D like him on the roster. I dont think he is just a plug. Bjornfot is the plug.

He couldn't even stick on Chicago.

Throwing your weight around and winning fights in the AHL is a completely different game.

Completely caved in by Foligno, played 11 worthless games on the lottery winner, but sure, he'll move the needle on a 100 point team.

I get it--we're all thirsty for some toughness--but the way people are going to bat for this guy like he's prime Bobby Clarke is insane.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
There isnt a single atom of Rob Scuderi in Bjornfot's game. Scuderi was noticeable. Scuderi had impact.
What impact? A career high of 16 points when he was 30 years old? A career high PIM of 28 when he was 28 years old? He was a defensive defenseman. Not physical, not offensively gifted. Not even a gifted skater. Just smart defensively. And he didn't even start playing in the NHL until he was 25 years old. Bjornfot is 22.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
What impact? A career high of 16 points when he was 30 years old? A career high PIM of 28 when he was 28 years old? He was a defensive defenseman. Not physical, not offensively gifted. Not even a gifted skater. Just smart defensively. And he didn't even start playing in the NHL until he was 25 years old. Bjornfot is 22.
Yeah I'm curious how noticeable Scuderi was after his first 80 games in the NHL.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
There isnt a single atom of Rob Scuderi in Bjornfot's game. Scuderi was noticeable. Scuderi had impact.

Lmao no he wasn't. Scuderi was completely invisible on his best nights. And that was the point. He was a low event defenseman down to his bones.

We don't need Bjornfot to become Scuderi, though. And we don't need him to be Matt Greene or a silverback gorilla on skates or whatever else people are drooling for. We just need him to be a neutral event LHD who can successfully generate breakouts.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
lol, this is hyperbole

The Lucic trade.

He'll be a whipping boy before the end of the 2023-24 season.

Here's hoping PLD at least outscores Vilardi again next season. I have a feeling he's going to get a lot more offense with more ice time and more growth.

I love how everybody has such passionate opinions about a guy who played in C-bus and Winnipeg, so therefore most of us have barely seen him play. This place never changes.

I think he's going to play very well for us initially.

We'll see where it goes from there.

If Vilardi can stay healthy and not be a ~60 game max player while also being able to be effective with more minutes and more games then this could look bad. It's a lot of "ifs" for him. I don't think he has the stamina to eat big minutes over 82+ games. The 68 combined regular season/playoff games he put in last year are the most in his career so that is positive. He vanished after the hot start ("The Kopitar") but was looking real solid before the injury and then into the playoffs when he came back so maybe I'm wrong. Hope I am.

Cal Petersen. Trevor Moore. Big extensions based on one good "season" or ~80 games across two seasons. Vilardi couldn't stay up on the NHL team two seasons ago and then had his one good season last year, missing ~20 games along the way.

What was Vilardi's ask on this contract? Will be interesting to see what he takes in Winnipeg. If I'm him, I'm trying to get term based on injury history.

All of this is to say that PLD has proven he is worth Vilardi, hence additional pieces being needed to complete the deal. What PLD has to prove is that he is an 8 x $8.5MM guy. PLD has never played less than 70 games and is a legit NHL center. He has more value than Vilardi: I don't think that can be argued in good faith. Was it a good trade? That's a different debate.

There’s a few ifs about Vilardi but it’s not about skill or ability. If Vilardi remains healthy he will absolutely be a force to be reckoned with. I don’t think that’s up for debate. Which king pick have you seen in recent history that has his hip key iq, shot, hand eye coordination, size, mixed in with ridiculous hands. He has all the makings of a superstar. I’m not exaggerating. He has A LOT of good tools in his game to top it off really good hockey IQ.

I know this is “one good year” debate but there’s very little reason to think he won’t break out. Only thing hindering him is health but if that is a small issue then there’s no reason to think that Vilardi will regress.

There’s a better chance that Kempe will fizzle out than Vilardi stagnating.

I said it elsewhere but if you remove Vilardi’s hot streak to start the year, he had 15 goals in 52 games played.

Respectable top nine numbers but nothing earth shattering.

I can't blame Blake for not wanting to pay a guy that has missed so much time and still missed a hefty amount last season.

Especially after Petersen and Moore.
Shout out to those of us who nailed it when the trade happens and shout out to those of you who drove me crazy about “it’s just a hot streak bro”.

I know we are all on the same boat now sadly though.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Dear lawd we gave up a second rounder as well. Guarantee will probably sh*t all over us for many years to come. F*** me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad