Confirmed with Link: Alex Iafallo, Rasmus Kuapri, Gabe Vilardi + 2024 2nd round pick to Winnipeg for Pierre-Luc Dubois

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
And yet that’s what we have and will need to roll with.. I’m still going to say that this team regardless of construction will be limited by it’s coach.. So I agree with your assessment and if an injury was to happen, we’re properly f ucked!
Or we can put that big salaried player on LTIR...then use that money to sign a stud that helps immediately...then *voila* LTIR player is healthy right at playoff team...we finally get out of the 1st round...

Hey, it worked for Chicago, then Tampa, then Vegas...

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Not sure we can say two roster spots gained when the Kings are going with a 21-man roster to make the cap work, in part because of how much they are spending on PLD.

Yes, it opened up spots in the lineup, but Lizotte replaced Kupari and Lewis replaced Iafallo. The biggest beneficiary of this move was Kaliyev, and it still remains to be seen if he'll even get more than bottom-six ice time.
Yeah, the cap is going to limit things obviously. But still, it did open spots that someone like Kaliyev or JAD can grab, or heck, even an AHL player. When I said two extra spots I meant in the starting lineup, as all three of those guys were pretty much regulars as the season went on. It's just one less guy in the press box.

Someone has to step up, some of the blockade is now gone. That's something I think a lot of folks wanted. A spot is ripe for the taking if someone like Pinelli, Laferriere, or Turcotte has a fabulous camp.

Two guys that could be wild cards are Fagemo and Grundstrom. We've seen stretches where they both look impressive, then kind of fall apart. I don't harbor much hope for either at this point, but perhaps one of them realizes the opportunity and takes a big step.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Or we can put that big salaried player on LTIR...then use that money to sign a stud that helps immediately...then *voila* LTIR player is healthy right at playoff team...we finally get out of the 1st round...

Hey, it worked for Chicago, then Tampa, then Vegas...
They all had proven players but more importantly, they had competent management and good coaches

Last edited:

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
They all had proven players but more importantly, they had competent management and hood coaches
Give me a great chef with mediocre ingredients for any meal -- over a crappy cook with amazing ingredients.

Reactions: bland

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Nothing says I am forcing a trade like this
Seriously? I can't see that happening. He can force a trade when the season is over -- especially with his contract situation. Once the TDL has passed last season, it would be idiotic to tank. They literally can't trade him at that point. If he did personally tank for 32 games and blow his team's chances for the year, then that is a guy NOBODY would nor should want anywhere on their team. If anything, tanking earlier in the season before the TDL would be the move to force a trade (if he wanted to go -- otherwise it's the offseason). The things you say sometimes.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
You haven't checked out Dubois' record yet, have you?

48 points in his first 41 games last year.

15 in his last 32.
So he averaged a
nearly a point a game the first half and half point second half.

Gabe was like 18 points in his first 22 and finished with what 23 for the rest of the season. That is pretty pedestrian .

Good for him though to get paid on the tear he had for first couple of months. He was really good for those few weeks

Last edited:

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Oh man that sweetheart deal for Winnipeg. And all the smearing that’s been done on Vilardi for being greedy. Fans better hope PLD explodes here or this will truly be the nail in the coffin.

Anyone who called him greedy is way off, it's his absolute right to go to arbitration and with his injury history there is no way he shouldn't have filed. It probably got him an extra 500K per year.

I wouldn't say it's a sweetheart deal, just a fair one. He was my favorite King to watch last year but I'd be lying if I didn't worry about his second half. He had 6 more points than Kaliyev did after Halloween with far better deployments. And he went from PP magic to PP nothing. That happens to guys that break out though, things change when the opposition is watching you more closely. He'll need an extra gear to take the next step.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
You haven't checked out Dubois' record yet, have you?

48 points in his first 41 games last year.

15 in his last 32.

Noted, but I wonder how much of that may have had to do with the trade deadline. He signed that one year QO, obviously wanted out, and the Canadiens rumors were wild. Had to be somewhat distracting since he really didn't want to be there.

He did end up with 8 points in his last 9, and their week off was right after the TDL. If you take those same last 32 games the season before, he had 24 points. He was also strong in the last 10 games or so, so he's a strong finisher.

Reactions: yankeeking

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Oh man that sweetheart deal for Winnipeg. And all the smearing that’s been done on Vilardi for being greedy. Fans better hope PLD explodes here or this will truly be the nail in the coffin.
Were people saying he was greedy or perhaps speculating as to why he was traded? Maybe some did but I don’t recall it… that said speculation always becomes fact on here. I say that as someone that hated giving up GV as I’ve backed him as a top player since before the draft and through his back issues. In a vacuum it’s an ok trade but emotionally I hate it.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Were people saying he was greedy or perhaps speculating as to why he was traded? Maybe some did but I don’t recall it… that said speculation always becomes fact on here. I say that as someone that hated giving up GV as I’ve backed him as a top player since before the draft and through his back issues. In a vacuum it’s an ok trade but emotionally I hate it.
I remember a few reports stating that a reason why the Kings didn’t discuss money was because of Vilardi asks being too much

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I remember a few reports stating that a reason why the Kings didn’t discuss money was because of Vilardi asks being too much
Pretty sure it was also suggested as a reason on here despite reports that the two sides never talked.

Reactions: Trash Panda

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Regardless, Dubois is going to cost as much as Gabe, AI, and Kupari combined (nearly).

I’ll give it to rob at least, he is certainly doubling down on a last grasp at success with the ole guard.

It won’t work, but he is damn sure committed to it I guess.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Regardless, Dubois is going to cost as much as Gabe, AI, and Kupari combined (nearly).

I’ll give it to rob at least, he is certainly doubling down on a last grasp at success with the ole guard.

It won’t work, but he is damn sure committed to it I guess.
What's baffling is why he initially went for it, realized it wouldn't work and went with the rebuild, then abandoned that and went for it again three years later - and older. And none of it has worked.

They had the currency of a #2 and #5 pick to deal, with cap space which undoubtedly would have brought in better players than Fiala and Dubois had he not waffled from his original bad plan.

Honestly, he is the worst GM in Kings history. Accomplished nothing, his team has been one of the least successful in the league during his tenure, he can't stick to any coherent plan, has butchered drafts and development of what should have been key players, overpaid damn near every contract he has signed and the team is in exactly the same place it was when he was hired.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
What's baffling is why he initially went for it, realized it wouldn't work and went with the rebuild, then abandoned that and went for it again three years later - and older. And none of it has worked.

They had the currency of a #2 and #5 pick to deal, with cap space which undoubtedly would have brought in better players than Fiala and Dubois had he not waffled from his original bad plan.

Honestly, he is the worst GM in Kings history. Accomplished nothing, his team has been one of the least successful in the league during his tenure, he can't stick to any coherent plan, has butchered drafts and development of what should have been key players, overpaid damn near every contract he has signed and the team is in exactly the same place it was when he was hired.
Thinking what could have been accomplished with that much in draft capital, is enough to make a guys head spin.

Being rudderless has cost the organization dearly.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
You may be right. I certainly recall various people speculating it might be why, because it was surprising he was included but equally he was most likely the only guy Winnipeg definitely wanted. As for ‘reports’, yeah well the hockey ‘insiders’ normally make it up as they go along.

JR is 100% right
Considering his effort in LA I’m not sure why he’s talking about LA being a great place to play.

Vote4Lubo

Axl's other other account
Feb 28, 2016
Antarctica
This is great, Dubois needs to hear it. Even tho playing in Columbus and Winnipeg would suck. If PLD puts in 10% the effort JR did as a king I think he will be alright. Hopefully Dubois responds with dancing centre ice with the cup instead of a damn fool by himself

Reactions: tny760

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad