Player Discussion Alex Burrows

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I mean that at least Marchand was in the process of actually playing hockey. He skates down the ice gets a chance and take a cheap shot a split second after his scoring chance. How longer were Burrows knees making contact with Hall's skull after the whistle blew last night? At least Marchand and Johanssen were on their skates while Burrows has a full rear mount of Hall.

Marchand play = dirty hockey play
Burrows play = some kind of blend of Mui Thai and Jiu Jistu

Ill drop the Marchand thing as a comparison. All im saying is 2 things.

This is not consistent with the Nhl's normal standard of injury playing a large role in the suspension. Thats probably a dumb hill to die on though because there just is no consistency when it comes to suspensions in the nhl and who you are and who you hit play the biggest role of all.

The second point would be that this is a Burrows thing. We get it, he sucks, like most of our team this year, but this is being blown out of proportion to fit an agenda, and its being celebrated to pile on even more against Burrows and anyone who maybe thought he wasnt the worst human being on the planet and can play some hockey in this league.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
It's inexcusable, but it's not worth 10 games. Players get less for practically decapitating people.

I bet a lot of tones would be different if it was Mark Stone who did it.

No doubt the reactions would be different if this was a popular player and the team was in the playoff race.

But why can’t you let us have this?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This was easily the best hf sens debate if the last 4 years.

Wings traded Vanek for a conditional 3rd and retained half his salary. Dorion trades our 5th best prospect (according to Button, A 2nd in a strong draft) and extends Burrows at 2.5 for 2 more years... brags about the high fives and hugs.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Chris Neil and dahlen for burrows at 2.5mil
I mean sounds like a great idea. Don't see the problem here. High five Dorion you badass mother f***er

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm surprised it was 10 games. At the same time, if that multiple knees to the head happened to any of our guys, I'd say 10 games wasn't enough.

Definitely a deserved suspension. I'm ok with the number. With all we know these days about concussions and head trauma, you just don't deliberately go for the head. Simple as that.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
This was easily the best hf sens debate if the last 4 years.

Well, Vanek was pretty bad last year and Burrows actually outplayed him. And since last year Burrows didn’t even play that well apparently that makes Vaneks performance pretty putrid.

He seems to be doing pretty well this year though but I’m not really that surprised Vanek is putting pucks in on a pretty much out of contention team. I’m guessing if we had signed him this off season our season results wouldn’t be too different.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Well, Vanek was pretty bad last year and Burrows actually outplayed him. And since last year Burrows didn’t even play that well apparently that makes Vaneks performance pretty putrid.

He seems to be doing pretty well this year though but I’m not really that surprised Vanek is putting pucks in on a pretty much out of contention team. I’m guessing if we had signed him this off season our season results wouldn’t be too different.
Last year vanek had 48 points in 68 games.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How’d he do after he was traded to Florida? Did he help them?
10 points in 20 games. I’m argument was who’s better. I don’t care what Vanek CANT do. But I know what he can. And what he can do far out weighs what burrows can do. It’s not close.

One is horrible all over he ice. The other is a 50 point player with questionable defence. FIFTY.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
10 points in 20 games. I’m argument was who’s better. I don’t care what Vanek CANT do. But I know what he can. And what he can do far out weighs what burrows can do. It’s not close.

One is horrible all over he ice. The other is a 50 point player with questionable defence. FIFTY.

Burrows 11pts in 20 games and six goals. Burrows was actually better than Vanek after the trade deadline. Vanek had 2 goals in 20 games for Florida and the trade didn't elevate them at all to make the playoffs. I don't really blame the Panthers for trying but it was a failed trade for sure.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Burrows 11pts in 20 games and six goals. Burrows was actually better than Vanek after the trade deadline. Vanek had 2 goals in 20 games for Florida and the trade didn't elevate them at all to make the playoffs. I don't really blame the Panthers for trying but it was a failed trade for sure.
Great. Who’s better. The better hockey player. Burrows was not better than vanek. Because vanek is the better player. Burrows didn’t elevate us either no matter how many times people say it. He was a non factor.

Didn’t 5 of those 11 points come against the worst defensive team of the last decade. Also. Most of this debate took place at the start of this year

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Great. Who’s better. The better hockey player. Burrows was not better than vanek. Because vanek is the better player. Burrows didn’t elevate us either no matter how many times people say it. He was a non factor.

Didn’t 5 of those 11 points come against the worst defensive team of the last decade.

After the trade deadline? Burrows was the better player actually. Overall NHL career? Vanek for sure. Vanek is a pretty polarizing player though.

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
After the trade deadline? Burrows was the better player actually. Overall NHL career? Vanek for sure. Vanek is a pretty polarizing player though.
I find that very very hard to believe. I didn't watch him in Florida but there's no way he was worse than Burrows. Burrows was garbage, the same player he is now.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
It’s fair to say he didn’t do well in Florida, but he had 38 points in 48 games in Detroit. That’s not bad. You said he was pretty bad last year. Bad in Florida, sure. Bad all year? No.

For sure Vanek had a pretty solid year for Detroit but do you think maybe the lackluster return was due to Vaneks rep around the league? Like I said he's a polarizing player especially the later years.

The trade semed well worth the risk but let's just say I'm not shocked it didn't help Florida out st all.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
I don't really care at all about the suspension, the season is over.

But I would definitely rather hang out and/or play on the same team as Burrows than Hall. Just out of what I have seen from their personalities.

No one stood up for Hall, and they didn't have to do much but nudge burrows away. I don't know, if that was any one on the senators on the ground and Boro was within skating distance the guy would be on the ground too.

BobbyRyan

Apr 11, 2016

But I would definitely rather hang out and/or play on the same team as Burrows than Hall. Just out of what I have seen from their personalities.

No one stood up for Hall, and they didn't have to do much but nudge burrows away. I don't know, if that was any one on the senators on the ground and Boro was within skating distance the guy would be on the ground too.

I would rather hang out with the guy who has never repeatedly kneed someone in the back of the head while they're lying on the ground. I'd rather hang out with the guy who has never bitten someone's finger during a hockey game.

I would rather play on the same team as the guy who is scoring more than 7 times as many points per game as the other guy.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

Didn't Hall get cheapshotted in Edmonton too and everyone just stood around? :laugh:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Vanek was better before the trade deadline, Burrows was better after. No doubt. Burrows did play well down the stretch from what I remember. 11 points in 20 games is pretty solid, especially from a guy in his mid thirties.

Now, he’s god awful. Can’t seem to keep up and makes 2.5 this year and next.

Burrows as a rental would have been fine. Burrows with a two year extension is not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad