Player Discussion Alex Burrows

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
To the looney bin?

I am just reflecting a large sentiment on these boards when we make a trade for a player at the deadline by giving up a good prospect and we don't end up winning. If Klepis had turned out to be a legit top 6 player would you feel the trade would be looked at differently?

"but 1 game away" is a common phrase to make fun of the team this season, no?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I am just reflecting a large sentiment on these boards when we make a trade for a player at the deadline by giving up a good prospect and we don't end up winning.

"but 1 game away" is a common phrase to make fun of the team this season, no?

Players like Varada and Burrows can be valuable in the playoffs. Unfortunately, Burrows was 36 when we acquired him. Varada was considerably younger than that. 27 maybe?

At the time of the Varada trade, giving up Klepiš seemed like a lot, but he never panned out, so no one really cares. If Dahlen doesn’t pan out, cool, but that doesn’t excuse the two year extension.

Reactions: DrEasy

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Players like Varada and Burrows can be valuable in the playoffs. Unfortunately, Burrows was 36 when we acquired him. Varada was considerably younger than that. 27 maybe?

At the time of the Varada trade, giving up Klepiš seemed like a lot, but he never panned out, so no one really cares. If Dahlen doesn’t pan out, cool, but that doesn’t excuse the two year extension.

That's kinda what I wanted to touch on too, no one cares in hindsight. But we did at the time give up a lot to get a grinder/pest. I thought it was a good deal at the time just like I thought bringing in Burrows was a good deal at the time that could possibly put us over the top since we decided to "go for it" and we seem to have a pretty good prospect pool. We were the best team in the league and Varada didn't help us achieve our goal, what if we used Klepis to bring in a more skilled player instead and add to that? Maybe the outcome is different, or something. Obviously we will never know.

And yes, the extension looks horrible. Chalk it up to a rookie GM mistake?

And damn, even when I say I am wrong about something I get people arguing with me that I was wrong about being wrong!

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Outside of local Family I would be curious to see what portion of the fanbase if any enjoys this player on the team. Would love to see a poll on that one.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Stone: Burrows suspension 'a bit harsh' - Article - TSN

Well his teammates feel the same way I do. Deserved something for sure but 10 games is ridiculous.

"We're going to miss (Burrows), he's a great leader in this locker-room, good veteran guy and a guy that everyone really likes," said Matt Duchene. "He's a guy that we rely on for his character and his grit so we're going to miss him while he's out."

Reactions: Xspyrit and aragorn

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Stone: Burrows suspension 'a bit harsh' - Article - TSN

Well his teammates feel the same way I do. Deserved something for sure but 10 games is ridiculous.

"We're going to miss (Burrows), he's a great leader in this locker-room, good veteran guy and a guy that everyone really likes," said Matt Duchene. "He's a guy that we rely on for his character and his grit so we're going to miss him while he's out."
We got Oduya for that kind of crap
No need for that brainless burritos
Good riddance

Reactions: Beville

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Surely AB can still go in the changing room, no?

Either way, great suspension. Well done for being a chomp. Probably the best thing he’s done for the team? Hopefully no panic trade and we can tank whilst playing the youth.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Apparently his teammates like him, but you're entitled to your opinion.
They would never say what it did was moronic but you can bet if it happened in the Playoffs Karlsson would have jump his throat.
Remember the Brass incident?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Anyone know how they calculate this?

looked it up : somewhere around (annual salary / 180) * 10 games

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
They would never say what it did was moronic but you can bet if it happened in the Playoffs Karlsson would have jump his throat.
Remember the Brass incident?

They agreed that it was a suspend able offense like I do, they just think the amount of games is absurd just like I do, nobody would argue it wasn't a stupid thing to do.

You're right that if it were a game that mattered, he would have been called out on it, but we all know none of the games matter at this point so I doubt they care much.

I do remember the Brass incident and in the end, it all turned out to be a very good thing because it lit a fire under all their asses.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Apparently his teammates like him, but you're entitled to your opinion.

They have to be politic, they still practice around him. The coach had to defend him, he coaches him. See how this works? No one thinks kneeing someone in the head is good hockey, but they don't want to add more drama to an already lost season so they are saying the right things. Just like when Bertuzzi almost killed that scrub, good teammate, rough patch, etc. Don't break the code.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
They have to be politic, they still practice around him. The coach had to defend him, he coaches him. See how this works? No one thinks kneeing someone in the head is good hockey, but they don't want to add more drama to an already lost season so they are saying the right things. Just like when Bertuzzi almost killed that scrub, good teammate, rough patch, etc. Don't break the code.

I dont really agree but respect your opinion. They easily could have done the standard response but they felt the need to point out that the suspension was too harsh.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I've been watching hockey for quite some time & it isn't all that long ago where that kind of incident would have been two minutes for roughing & in some instances I can remember the guy not fighting back also got two minutes. Ten games is outrageous & it was more about protecting the star player. Hall wasn't hurt in anyway by the incident, remember when they used to penalize the result more so than the incident? Burrows got hit, it pissed him off & he went after Hall. Burrows got a penalty & that's all he deserved IMO since Hall was out for the PP seconds afterwards. It was a nothing play compared to some of the stuff we see in hockey games, I've seen worse on the playground at school. The NHL is becoming such a suck hole league, soft as butter. :thumbd:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad