Player Discussion Alex Burrows

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Surprised we don't have a thread do this guy yet. I like his "compete level" out there as people say. Got crunched pretty hard last game, hoping it doesn't make him less effective.

Speaking of effective, when we got him, we knew we were getting a hard working two way guy who wouldn't hurt you but could pot a few. Offensively, and defensively, can't ask for much more out of a guy we're paying 2mil who's 35 years old. The one aspect I find missing from his game is the pest. Especially seeing how frustrated Johansen is with Kesler, I wonder where that side of Burrows is.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
As much as I'd like to see him get in some faces more often. However it might be a new team and not wanting to get called for a stupid penalty that has him holding it back. I have not liked him on the PP.

trobby

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
You can never questions Burrows' work ethic.
He's just a step too slow in my opinion.

Great pick up for the playoff run.

The biggest issue is giving up a very good looking prospect for someone we easily could have got for 3rd.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Surprised we don't have a thread do this guy yet. I like his "compete level" out there as people say. Got crunched pretty hard last game, hoping it doesn't make him less effective.

Speaking of effective, when we got him, we knew we were getting a hard working two way guy who wouldn't hurt you but could pot a few. Offensively, and defensively, can't ask for much more out of a guy we're paying 2mil who's 35 years old. The one aspect I find missing from his game is the pest. Especially seeing how frustrated Johansen is with Kesler, I wonder where that side of Burrows is.

Kessler has a much more prominent role than Burrows and is slotted directly against the other team's 1C. Kessler definitely plays with an attitude. In Burrows case I think its a combination of doing the role asked of him, staying disciplined, and just not being the same player he was. Burrows is playing a complimentary role and has been more noticeable defensively. He did draw a penalty vs the Pens and he did jam that disallowed goal puck in though.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I have him as a non-factor most of the time.

He's a fourth liner who doesn't suck and plays with a bit of an edge. Good replacement for Neil.

ToastrStutzle

Feb 1, 2016
Ottawa
Hes done nothing. And we have to pay him for 2 more years.

Being a somewhat decent two way guy who's not going to hurt you is the bare minimum you should expect for a guy who's been in the league for so long. He needs God how something else...like being a pest.

Until this happens he'll continue to be useless. There are dozens of guys who could be solid two way guys and cost way less. I still wish we had dahlen in our prospect pool.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
He's primary assisted on 2 OT goals. More than just nothing.

We've improved out bottom 6 and it's shown.

LynxBud

Nov 27, 2013
Gloucester
Burrows has been fine. As noted, he's got two primary assists on OT goals and on top of that isn't exactly making any real mistakes that are costing this team.

Not being noticeable isn't always a bad thing.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
From what I've seen, he's the definition of "Veteran Forward". He knows all the little tricks and traps. His timing is good, and his judgement is world-class. His shot is decent, but he never gets to use it.

As an example, look at that play that sprung Hoffman. That was just solid pressure in the defensive zone to spring a forward. Great anticipation for what the opposing player was going to do.

That said, he doesn't have the speed to get loose and doesn't forecheck well like Stalberg. He plays very conservatively too. I think he knows that his role is to prevent goals rather than score them so he tends to tie things up rather than try a risky play.

He's basically what I hoped Kelly would provide. I have no problem paying him 2.5M to be a third line winger for two seasons. As long as his health holds I think it will be worth it. I don't see him breaking 30-35 points, but he'll be doing it with fairly limited ice-time and no PP time, so I don't mind.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I haven't been very impressed with him to be honest.

Thing I've found is that he doesn't drive the play, but he drives possession. So those OT touch passes he made are an example of where he's not going to initiate highlight reel plays but he doesn't do blind drop passes that some of the guys are guilty of when trying to make plays. He puts the puck in places where guys can get them, even on dump ins, I find our forecheck is generally able to retrieve the puck when Burrows is on. So that's more than just "he's not going to hurt us." In my opinion anyways. I wonder if any stats gurus can chime in on this observation of mine.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
He had that great game right after he was traded here, then he got hurt, and since then he hasn't shown much. But it was good to have him during that stretch where we had plenty of injuries near the end of the regular season. Scored some key goals.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
He's basically been a better Kelly.

why he is a powerplay regular baffles me.even tom pyatt would be better

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Thing I've found is that he doesn't drive the play, but he drives possession. So those OT touch passes he made are an example of where he's not going to initiate highlight reel plays but he doesn't do blind drop passes that some of the guys are guilty of when trying to make plays. He puts the puck in places where guys can get them, even on dump ins, I find our forecheck is generally able to retrieve the puck when Burrows is on. So that's more than just "he's not going to hurt us." In my opinion anyways. I wonder if any stats gurus can chime in on this observation of mine.

Wasn't able to watch Game 2 and no stats but a few things...
Burrows has always been an opportunist player, never one that drove the play on his line (playing with the Sedins in their prime years best exemplifies this). The highlight reel goals of his career like Game 7 2011 vs. the Hawks and Game 2 SCF vs. Boston were other examples of being an opportunistic player.

He's a very smart and hardworking player. That is how he went from undrafted in the ECHL to where he is now. He's never been one to make a bonehead play and then give up on it. So I fully agree with you there.

With all of that being said, I think his age has hit him a bit. I thought he would've made a bigger impact in the playoffs (like scoring a goal) but it just hasn't happened. He is at his best when he either plays with guys with tons of speed to make room (someone like Dzingel but who has the puck more) or guys who hold possession down low in the offensive zone (someone like Bobby but they both play the right side). He's getting PP time, so I think if he causes more chaos in front of the net he'll get one.

It's hard to imagine the Sens going through these playoffs and Burrows not netting at least one GWG....it's just what he does.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
He's basically been a better Kelly.

why he is a powerplay regular baffles me.even tom pyatt would be better

He should only have one job on the PP and that should be in front of the net for tips and crashing for rebounds. He still has good hands.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He needs to be harder to play against. Needs to bring back that agitation (minus the biting and other stupidity) to his game.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
He needs to be harder to play against. Needs to bring back that agitation (minus the biting and other stupidity) to his game.

Agreed, let's be honest here the agitation and on the edge play is a large part of why many were interested in him.

Pittsburgh seems physically vulnerable with their injuries, raising the hate level in the series probably plays in our favour. Hit them hard.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

If bring that's other stupidity it's still in our favor as he does a job and a better player probably comes in for him.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I wonder if Burrows' inability to show up on the scoresheet has something to do with the role he's being asked to play in Boucher's system.

Food for thought.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I feel like hes iced the puck about 5 times in the last few games and has misplayed alot of passes. Havent been impressed in the last bit he just seems not on the same page as everyone else.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I wonder if Burrows' inability to show up on the scoresheet has something to do with the role he's being asked to play in Boucher's system.

Food for thought.

He would otherwise be.....a regular scoring threat?

It's not the lack of production that I am dissapointed in. I knew he wasn't going to produce offense and I'm sure management knew the same thing. But he's a non factor. The little things BS is just that. BS.

Out of wingels Dzingel stalberg and burrows at clear to me who should be the man out.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Out of wingels Dzingel stalberg and burrows at clear to me who should be the man out.

Is it Dzingel? Because it should be Dzingel.

Also: the fact that Stalberg is even in consideration to come out of the lineup for you is hilarious. Dude has been incredible for us. If he's healthy, he's a no-brainer auto-include to the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->