News Article: Alex Burmistrov bitter that Olli Jokinen got more ice time with Winnipeg Jets

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
What is the point in this? I mean honestly. You guys literally just keep taking shots at the guy and have been doing it for weeks. I think it's time you guys move on from it. I mean who are we to continue to judge someone based off of foreign reports and jump to massive conclusions(which is what most people have been doing who want to take shots).

I'm with you. I was literally shaking my head when I read Wings post. Saying all these things in capslock makes it even more childish and is in no way better, than what they addressed about Burmistrov. It's taken out of the context - he's gone, you guys got what you wanted. Why keep beating the dead horse and lose yourself in silly accusations?

james10011

Aug 1, 2013
What is the point in this? I mean honestly. You guys literally just keep taking shots at the guy and have been doing it for weeks. I think it's time you guys move on from it. I mean who are we to continue to judge someone based off of foreign reports and jump to massive conclusions(which is what most people have been doing who want to take shots).

This. Especially because his departure has some really interesting cultural and financial implications. There's actually quite a bit of substance related to this issue if people are willing to look.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I'm with you. I was literally shaking my head when I read Wings post. Saying all these things in capslock makes it even more childish and is in no way better, than what they addressed about Burmistrov. It's taken out of the context - he's gone, you guys got what you wanted. Why keep beating the dead horse and lose yourself in silly accusations?

:deadhorse:

Sorry. you were missing that.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Stapleton scored a goal with Burmistrov picking up the lone assist last game.

In 5 GP:
Burmi 3G 2A (+ 1G in SO)
Stapes 2G 2A (+ 1G in SO)

Doubt that he holds this pace in regular season, but any rise in stock to a sellable asset is always a good thing. :)

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
You can use that for every single post/thread about Pavelec too.

and the ones about Byfugliens weight... and Kanes bad attitude....

But those ones are fine

Well, the difference being that some of those are still changeable and that the Jets future success could be dependent on their change or stagnation of state...

The exception being Kane's "bad attitude" :D #embracethehate

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Well, the difference being that some of those are still changeable and that the Jets future success could be dependent on their change or stagnation of state...

The exception being Kane's "bad attitude" :D #embracethehate

All three of the are able to be changed.
There is no difference.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg

Ok, my last post (hopefully) in this thread. :)

Why? Because it's human nature to play devil's advocate. Especially on topics that you are passionate about. And when it comes to disputes regarding a player vs. the organization, personally I will, almost always, side with the organization.

Because even if the results aren't there - even if every success story is met with a story of a blunder, a coach's primary goals are:

1. Keep his/her job; stay with the organization.
2. Win as many games as possible in any way possible.

And ultimately it's the organization that is trying to serve the interests of the fans, more so than players; we are their cash cows. Players are more mercenarial. Sometimes...#1 isn't high on their list.

Now, I don't really believe that Burmistrov was a selfish, super-angsty teen hoping for Edward Cullen to save him. Anymore than I feel (while we're on the subject of silly accusations) that Claude Noel is some sort of youth-hating, misanthropic villain.

But it seems to me, through first-hand accounts, locker room accounts, and some Russian transcripts, that Burmi really didn't try hard enough at #1. As a result I also doubt his #2. And the most damning piece of evidence is of course the KHL signing. Not much lost in translation there. Mercenaries follow the money.

How hard are you willing to work on your dream? Are you willing to accept that no dreams, once realized, are really perfect? Your dream woman/relationship isn't perfect, neither is your dream job or dream home/car. You have to work on all of them. Every day, every year. You make sacrifices. If the 'heartbreak' of an NHL dream is straight to the big league, with 15+ minutes a night and $1.5m a year, but having to make adjustments to my style, I'll take that heartbreak any time.

So attempts to paint a sympathetic portrait of Burmistrov as an unfortunate, heartbroken kid, based on a third-hand story of 'a smile and a dream' aren't going to tip any scales for me. At best it will just get my head shaking. The more likely result is a guffaw and a sarcastic reply with some caps. Hey, it was like 3am. :p: This was not a one-sided breakup. Takes two to tango; two to break up. But like I said, if I had to lay more blame on one side than the other - I'd tend to lay more blame on the player because of the reasons stated above.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
So what type a season would be considered good for Burmi? A 0.75 pts/gm pace?

And would he have to improve that pace next year, and if he did, what would his 'value' be when he returned?

I just don't know how 'success' in the KHL would translate back to the NHL. I'm of the opinion, he would have to come back to the Jets, play reasonably well in the NHL, to effectively up his trade value. Not sure if there would be greater demand for him just by producing similar to Timmy Stapes.

Now if he made Russia's Olympic team, that might be a game changer.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Past cannot be changed.
I'm highly doubtful that TNSE and Burmi's relationship would be mendable even if change did occur in personalities so that's why there's the difference, at least to me.

Obviously the past cannot be changed.
However, you can alter yourself to change the future.

They all can do that, but both parties must be willing participants... Clearly no guarantees that is going to happen (at least in the Burmistrov case)

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

Why? Because it's human nature to play devil's advocate. Especially on topics that you are passionate about. And when it comes to disputes regarding a player vs. the organization, personally I will, almost always, side with the organization.

Because even if the results aren't there - even if every success story is met with a story of a blunder, a coach's primary goals are:

And ultimately it's the organization that is trying to serve the interests of the fans, more so than players; we are their cash cows. Players are more mercenarial. Sometimes...#1 isn't high on their list.

Now, I don't really believe that Burmistrov was a selfish, super-angsty teen hoping for Edward Cullen to save him. Anymore than I feel (while we're on the subject of silly accusations) that Claude Noel is some sort of youth-hating, misanthropic villain.

But it seems to me, through first-hand accounts, locker room accounts, and some Russian transcripts, that Burmi really didn't try hard enough at #1. As a result I also doubt his #2. And the most damning piece of evidence is of course the KHL signing. Not much lost in translation there. Mercenaries follow the money.

How hard are you willing to work on your dream? Are you willing to accept that no dreams, once realized, are really perfect? Your dream woman/relationship isn't perfect, neither is your dream job or dream home/car. You have to work on all of them. Every day, every year. You make sacrifices. If the 'heartbreak' of an NHL dream is straight to the big league, with 15+ minutes a night and $1.5m a year, but having to make adjustments to my style, I'll take that heartbreak any time.

So attempts to paint a sympathetic portrait of Burmistrov as an unfortunate, heartbroken kid, based on a third-hand story of 'a smile and a dream' aren't going to tip any scales for me. At best it will just get my head shaking. The more likely result is a guffaw and a sarcastic reply with some caps. Hey, it was like 3am. :p: This was not a one-sided breakup. Takes two to tango; two to break up. But like I said, if I had to lay more blame on one side than the other - I'd tend to lay more blame on the player because of the reasons stated above.

But what if the current path towards 'achieving the dream' isn't producing optimal results? Is one expected to stay the course?

I think Burmistrov knows his development has been mismanaged in N.A. and he's frustrated and lashing out. He's a talented kid (good enough to survive in the NHL at 18) who's done everything asked of him in N.A., yet he appears to be going nowhere with Winnipeg. Stuck in a rut.

I think he views the move to Kazan as a chance to start over, so to speak. I strongly doubt money had anything to do with it. He'll be back in the NHL in 2 years.

Last edited:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
So what type a season would be considered good for Burmi? A 0.75 pts/gm pace?

And would he have to improve that pace next year, and if he did, what would his 'value' be when he returned?

I just don't know how 'success' in the KHL would translate back to the NHL. I'm of the opinion, he would have to come back to the Jets, play reasonably well in the NHL, to effectively up his trade value. Not sure if there would be greater demand for him just by producing similar to Timmy Stapes.

Now if he made Russia's Olympic team, that might be a game changer.

He'll be Ak Bars #2 center this year. 30-35 points is not out of the question.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Burmi and his agent looked at the Jets moves to add Frolik & Setoguchi, factored in Scheifele's projected jump to the NHL (the first player with sole ties to Chevy and TNSE), Joker not being bought out, etc. and came to the decision that the KHL would give him a better opportunity to develop his offensive game, raise his earning potential over the next two years.

With Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Kane, Scheifele, Setoguchi, Jokinen, and Frolik in the fold there was only one spot left in the top 9. Based upon his history with Noel he knew he was going to be stuck on the 3rd line playing out of position.

Last edited:

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Burmi and his agent looked at the Jets moves to add Frolik & Setoguchi, factored in Scheifele's projected jump to the NHL (the first player with sole ties to Chevy and TNSE), Joker not being bought out, etc. and came to the decision that the KHL would give him a better opportunity to develop his offensive game, raise his earning potential over the next two years.

With Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Kane, Scheifele, Setoguchi, Jokinen, and Frolik in the fold there was only one spot left in the top 9. Based upon his history with Noel he knew he was going to be stuck on the 3rd line playing out of position.

I thought he was a better winger then Center anyways

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

Well that's much better ;) I think you're right on a lot of points you made. But those nonsense "THANK GOD THAT UNTHANKFUL LITTLE RUSSIAN **** LEFT OUR BEAUTIFUL AND PERFECT WINNIPEG"-attitude posts are just dumb. But I'm sure you understand the head shake we had with your post :laugh:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I still don't think the Jets mind. He can rediscover his game and Chevy doesn't have time work his balls off to make it work with the cap.

I agree and it wouldn't surprise me at all to find that this move was mutually agreed upon. Chevy wins regarding the cap and Burmi wins with more money and greater opportunity to develop and regain confidence.

Then the Jets win again in two years when Burmi comes back on fire. Either by playing him or trading him.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
i9p91IAftnjr3.gif

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Excellent move by Burmistrov there. But ya, my opinion is the same as above, he likely would have (or should have easily) been stopped by an NHL defender there. Truth be told, whoever that defenceman is failed horrendously in covering/eliminating his man. You can just tell he read that play notoriously slow.

Aside from the smooth hands and creativity we all know Burmistrov possesses, all I really see here as the play unfolds is the players in dark jerseys doing a lot of watching, and not very much doing. Why they're probably in the KHL rather than the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad