News Article: Alex Burmistrov bitter that Olli Jokinen got more ice time with Winnipeg Jets

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I can agree with it.

Jokinen did **** all last season and had no repercussions for it while other players weren't so lucky.

Hasn't scored in forever.... Let's let him QB the PP for another few weeks, why not right.

Edit: To be fair I didn't actually read the article.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
What a stupid "gotcha" headline for that article. I don't see any direct quotes from Burmistrov that suggest he was "bitter that Olli Jokinen got more ice time with Winnipeg Jets".

EDIT: Ah, I see that it's based on a Russian article. I thought Wyshynski was pulling that out of thin air.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He may have a point but this just reeks of immaturity and having a sense of entitlement by Alex. Do what the coaches ask and you'll see more ice time as he did at the end of the year.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
He may have a point but this just reeks of immaturity and having a sense of entitlement by Alex. Do what the coaches ask and you'll see more ice time as he did at the end of the year.

You ever watch your boss consitantly screw up day in and day out and wonder why you never ever get the chance to prove yourself?

Same ****ing thing. Sense of entitlement my ass, all people want is a real chance to prove themselves. How about instead of limiting the job requirement to 3 years experience needed (hard to ever get experience if only people with experience ALREADY are hired) the best man for the job is placed there...

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
You ever watch your boss consitantly screw up day in and day out and wonder why you never ever get the chance to prove yourself?

Same ****ing thing. Sense of entitlement my ass, all people want is a real chance to prove themselves. How about instead of limiting the job requirement to 3 years experience needed (hard to ever get experience if only people with experience ALREADY are hired) the best man for the job is placed there...

I gotta agree. But you got to think that maybe there is a possibility that Noel played Jokinen because he was making $4.5mil and had another year on contract. Wouldn't look good on Chevy to have his biggest FA signing average around 15 minutes of ice time and still be on the books for one more season. Just a thought anyway. And getting back to what Holden said, it is not like Burmi booked it for the money, he is making practically peanuts compared to some Russians going to the KHL.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

How did he never get the chance to prove himself? He got quite a bit of minutes late in the season when he started playing the way Noel wanted him too. He also got plenty of pp minutes 2 years ago but couldn't get much done with them. I didn't like Jokinen in the top 6 and agree that Noel could have done things better but Burmie needs to take ownership for his reluctance to adhere to Noel's system and his inability to force Noel's hand with his play. These articles just seem to point to him being not willing to accept any blame and that its all the coaches fault.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
What a stupid "gotcha" headline for that article. I don't see any direct quotes from Burmistrov that suggest he was "bitter that Olli Jokinen got more ice time with Winnipeg Jets".

EDIT: Ah, I see that it's based on a Russian article. I thought Wyshynski was pulling that out of thin air.

Nah, he spends a good five minutes worth of research on the internet first before drafting up these blockbusters.

james10011

Aug 1, 2013
There is a pretty substantial amount of statistical evidence suggesting Claude Noel did not do a very good job managing the ice time of his players. From Pavelec through Wright, players were over/under used to a degree that is unacceptable for an NHL caliber coach. One such underused (and disgruntled) player was Alex Burmistrov. The entirety of the statistics community frequently lamented the misuse of a possession wizard who drives play. If I myself was annoyed by the stupidity of Claude Noel, I can only imagine the frustration felt by someone whos career hangs in the balance.

Last edited:

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace

That is a bit of an odd perspective in my own view. You will find that in the world of employment that the most senior employees are those most often entrusted with the key roles/files, as they've a demonstrated wealth of experience that enables the employer to trust them more with such assignments. If your argument in this case is somehow that "instead of limiting the job requirement to 3 years experience needed (hard to ever get experience if only people with experience ALREADY are hired) the best man for the job is placed there", then by extension wasn't Burmistrov already given enough opportunity to prove himself? I ask because after 194 games of NHL experience his employers only granted him a 3rd/4th line assignment most of the year. That role was issued likely due his play relative to their expectations, not due a lack of opportunity.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It's not just that Jokinen played more, but also that Burmi was used as a bit of a whipping boy by Noel. He was criticized for not playing the "right way", and even benched for a few games (in a 48 game season). In the meantime, anyone could see that Jokinen was less effective than Burmi, and I dare say, didn't play as hard as Burmi did. His performance on the PP was atrocious, full of boneheaded plays that killed momentum, and yet Noel kept with him until late in the year.

bazaaa*

He has a valid point.
Jokinen was ****ing terrible and continued to get second line minutes. I still preach this when discussing Burmi.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
It's not just that Jokinen played more, but also that Burmi was used as a bit of a whipping boy by Noel. He was criticized for not playing the "right way", and even benched for a few games (in a 48 game season). In the meantime, anyone could see that Jokinen was less effective than Burmi, and I dare say, didn't play as hard as Burmi did. His performance on the PP was atrocious, full of boneheaded plays that killed momentum, and yet Noel kept with him until late in the year.

Noel kept with Jokinen because he obviously likely saw that to be preferable option based upon both their play and their relative levels of experience. What that says about Burmistrov though is likely something that his supporters wouldn't wish to acknowledge, as coaches don't make such decisions fully within a vacuum but rather would consult others within the organization for their own input as well. GMs' meet with coaches near daily to discuss assignments, and coaches also consult daily with other coaches within the organization as well, as stated. This isn't a case of Burmistrov being denied an opportunity by Noel per the board meme in my own view but rather is mainly a case of the player's own level of play dictating his spot.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
Noel kept with Jokinen because he obviously likely saw that to be preferable option based upon both their play and their relative levels of experience. What that says about Burmistrov though is likely something that his supporters wouldn't wish to acknowledge, as coaches don't make such decisions fully within a vacuum but rather would consult others within the organization for their own input as well. GMs' meet with coaches near daily to discuss assignments, and coaches also consult daily with other coaches within the organization as well, as stated. This isn't a case of Burmistrov being denied an opportunity by Noel per the board meme in my own view but rather is mainly a case of the player's own level of play dictating his spot.

Well said. What does this really have to do with Jokinen? The more "reasons" I hear coming out of the Burmistrov camp as to why he went to Russia - the more I am inclined to say good riddance.

Talented 21 year old player that could have bided his time to become a top six with Winnipeg, or be moved to another org. Go over to Russia? That one is on you young man...

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I gotta agree. But you got to think that maybe there is a possibility that Noel played Jokinen because he was making $4.5mil and had another year on contract. Wouldn't look good on Chevy to have his biggest FA signing average around 15 minutes of ice time and still be on the books for one more season. Just a thought anyway. And getting back to what Holden said, it is not like Burmi booked it for the money, he is making practically peanuts compared to some Russians going to the KHL.

If any NHL coach uses his players like that, he shouldn't be coaching professionally. It's his job to win games, not play guys based on salary. Obviously just a thought but I wouldn't want my teams coach, coaching like that.

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
If any NHL coach uses his players like that, he shouldn't be coaching professionally. It's his job to win games, not play guys based on salary. Obviously just a thought but I wouldn't want my teams coach, coaching like that.

Agreed - office politics in this situation, although doubtful, is a possibility.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

He was improving quite a bit after being benched last year.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
I think most people don't realize that their boss has a boss who has a boss, etc. And that maybe decisions of your immediate boss are influenced by bosses higher up the chain.

Not saying for sure that happened in this case, but in the "real world" it happens all the time.

The bigger issue for me is that I think people who wonder why they are passed over for opportunities at work (i.e. "Why not me, I am more deserving...") and blame others might find it a good a idea to look in the mirror once in awhile. Maybe, just maybe -they will realize they could have done something differently to affect the decisions that were made.

And just so you know Holden, I'm not disagreeing with you just because it's fun. I actually agreed with your comments in the Toews thread about Ladd's captaincy and role with the team...

Last edited:

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I doubt he's bitter about the actual ice time, which is only 1:30 per game difference. I would say he should be bitter about linemates, role, power play, etc..

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Well this time around if there is any hick-up with the coach and JT or MS this season, it's the coach going to Russia. And we can get Burmi back!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad