Player Discussion Alain Vigneault Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
We know AV likes the rush offense, but nothing about his defensive personnel choices or defensive system reflect that.

It's like we're playing two different systems at the same time, and that's why this team goes long stretches where it looks like they can't make a pass.

They do, the problem is it’s an incredibly complicated system that requires everyone to be on the same page, make the correct reads, and execute.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
This team is rotten and AV will be the first one to pay for it. For the first time in his tenure, IMO, you've got a team whose record is worse than the sum of it's parts. That said, this team stinks and the record really stinks.

But perhaps more importantly, what is Gorton going to do with this veteran leadership group? Guys like McDonagh, Nash, Kreider, etc. Are they just going to keep lurching back and forth every few years between needing a Tortorella type or a Vigneault type to be successful? Its getting near that time to do a major house cleaning.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Game by game basis is really balancing AV on a needlepoint. Like others have said, might as well just end it.

Unless he goes coaching thermonuclear and revives himself from the grave like Tom Coughlin.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Game by game basis is really balancing AV on a needlepoint. Like others have said, might as well just end it.

Unless he goes coaching thermonuclear and revives himself from the grave like Tom Coughlin.

Ill be pretty interested to see who the fans cast blame on when AV goes and these problems persist. The roster decay that has been taking place for years wasn't going to be turned around in the course of one summer.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
If Brooks' article is accurate, then he should already be gone if Gorton & Co. are that close to the crossroads. I don't think the team believes in the system anymore - and why should they? It took them so far on the back of a star goalie that's now above average and the team is regressing. Time for AV & Co. to hit the road.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
My biggest issue with AV is that he's so stubborn and so set in his system that he alienates talent.

We need volume shooters. Any attempt to bring in volume shooters was a disaster because AV doesn't do volume shooting. Sure, Pirri and Stalberg weren't great players, but what if we traded Kreider/Zucc/Miller etc. for a legit top 6 volume shooter? You think the same thing wouldn't happen? People wanted Justin Williams when he was UFA. Justin Williams would have been a mess because AV doesn't do Justin Williams hockey.

We need to be better at zone denials. So we go and get Smith who is among the elite players in the league at denying entries at the line. Doesn't matter. AV coaches his D to back up and let them in to an extreme extent. He's forcing Brendan Smith to play in his own zone. Guess what? Brendan Smith isn't that f***ing great in his own zone. If he was, he'd be a top pair D.

Any attempt to address holes through the front office is futile because AV doesn't see holes. His system is perfect.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Rick Nash is the epitome of a volume shooter, so I'm not sure that's true, but there definitely seems to be coaching where the Rangers pass up shooting opportunities to look for a pass even if it's a low percentage pass. Look at Miller for example. His iCF/60 has been cut in half since his rookie season, and now he has one of the lowest rates in the league.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Rick Nash is the epitome of a volume shooter, so I'm not sure that's true, but there definitely seems to be coaching where the Rangers pass up shooting opportunities to look for a pass even if it's a low percentage pass. Look at Miller for example. His iCF/60 has been cut in half since his rookie season, and now he has one of the lowest rates in the league.

Nash is the only Ranger in the top 90 forwards in iCF in the last four years. He and Kreider are the only Rangers in the top 120.

We don't do volume shooting. It's particularly disappointing with Miller, because he has an absolute rifle.

Menawhile, our only true volume shooter in Nash, couldn't break a window with his wrister. Makes me wonder if this team is even coached at all.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
When Renney lost 10-2 it was beyond time... has AV lost the room? Maybe. Do we wanna find out? Probably shouldn’t.
I am not so sure he lost the room so much, as his system makes it impossible to succeed unless the goalie is the best player on the ice each night. Has the running around seeped into the players psyche? Maybe.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I am not so sure he lost the room so much, as his system makes it impossible to succeed unless the goalie is the best player on the ice each night. Has the running around seeped into the players psyche? Maybe.
Isn’t that basically the same thing? If they’re questioning his system and or doubting it... it’s time.

I agree his system may be more at the heart of this than anything else... but he won’t change it... I.e. time for him to go.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
This team is rotten and AV will be the first one to pay for it. For the first time in his tenure, IMO, you've got a team whose record is worse than the sum of it's parts. That said, this team stinks and the record really stinks.

But perhaps more importantly, what is Gorton going to do with this veteran leadership group? Guys like McDonagh, Nash, Kreider, etc. Are they just going to keep lurching back and forth every few years between needing a Tortorella type or a Vigneault type to be successful? Its getting near that time to do a major house cleaning.
Almost every core of every team"lurches backhand forth every few years" needing a new coach. Coaches changing every few years isn't rare and isn't something that reflects poorly on the players. If you want to make this team even worse, yes get rid of good hockey players because you're upset that a coach lost them. A coach who they've responded to and worked well with for longer than the shelf life of most coaches on most teams.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
We protected wrong guys - no doubts about that. And David D. can`t save this team down the middle - almost the smallest guy in the league, all want to hit him! If Kreider is gone who will fight for him?? :)

Nash? lol, he so soft, and he has a new contract to worry about end of this season - so I doubt he will fight for anyone. ))

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Who would you guys have exposed in favor of protecting Lindberg, though?

Here was our list:

Capture.PNG

All of those forwards are either too talented or too valuable (in terms of what they'd return in a trade) to not protect. It sucks losing Lindberg, and I do miss him...but we made the most pragmatic decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Event closes
    • Updated: