Confirmed with Link: Alain Vigneault fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I know it was my happy dance on his grave. Yes I was being kind of a dick but AV has 4.125 million laughs for the next 2 years on me. lol
I`ve the similar feeling @Miamipuck and sometimes it can be unfortunate for a person to lose a job, but they are aware of how professional sport works, and it`s result oriented so many are aware it can be brief time while coaching in NHL while they get paid very well. I don`t think I describe it as black or white or like hate and love kind of comments, and I usually try to avoid those words, but I was really glad and satisfied that he is gone. I also believe that some of our players who are highly skilled benefit to play in a much different hockey system and hopefully more possession oriented.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Where’s the full-page Thank You, New York message from AV? He had a good run. I think NY was pretty good to him. Just wondering. I’d definitely appreciate it, not that it matters.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
If only AV would have been more open to changing some things up he could still be coaching here and maybe the rangers would have been more successful in the last couple of years. Just drives me nuts that he kept forcing the same stuff over and over as it became less and less effective. He says that they "each year put in a system to make the most out of the players they had" but bullshit, it was the same system every year. Tweaking a few minor details doesn't count, it was the same thing with the same flaws every year and that's what eventually got him canned.

If he could have grown his gameplan he could have been a better coach...

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
I was so focused on Wrestlemania weekend that I didn't think much about the AV firing until now.

*ahem*

YES! YES! YES! YES!

GTFO!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: shinchanyo

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
If only AV would have been more open to changing some things up he could still be coaching here and maybe the rangers would have been more successful in the last couple of years. Just drives me nuts that he kept forcing the same stuff over and over as it became less and less effective. He says that they "each year put in a system to make the most out of the players they had" but bull****, it was the same system every year. Tweaking a few minor details doesn't count, it was the same thing with the same flaws every year and that's what eventually got him canned.

If he could have grown his gameplan he could have been a better coach...

Agreed

AV's inability to adapt led to his extinction (firing).

Not that this really matters, but I also could not stand how he would always say the team "played well" or "had some good looks". You don't have to be Tortorella, but be honest once in a while. If we played like shit, say we played like shit. Publicly saying he thinks we played well when we didn't sends the message that its acceptable to be outplayed.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Agreed

AV's inability to adapt led to his extinction (firing).

Not that this really matters, but I also could not stand how he would always say the team "played well" or "had some good looks". You don't have to be Tortorella, but be honest once in a while. If we played like ****, say we played like ****. Publicly saying he thinks we played well when we didn't sends the message that its acceptable to be outplayed.

Press conference stuff doesn't bother me too much because it always just seems like a target for fan frustrations no matter what is said. No matter what a coach says there he's going to have someone criticizing him for it so eh, whatever. I didn't even have a problem with Tortorella's rants for the most part because whatever, they're not hired to placate my ill moods, they're hired to coach a team and hopefully win games.

I just wish AV could have found a way to adjust things to keep the strengths of his system and mitigate the weaknesses.

On the other hand I also watched this team get more and more passive as the years went on...maybe that's a result of his hands off approach to leadership and the players on the team were too laid back and confident in themselves, but I think it also had to do with the coaching philosophy of rather than trying to separate an opposing player from the puck or pressure them into a mistake, you had to try to take away a passing lane and force the puck to go a different direction, which lead to the constant "slowly glide towards an opposing puck carrier and wave your stick around" which didn't work for shit because this is the NHL and giving players time to make their passes usually results in them making at least a decent pass.

Reactions: GordonGecko

Gresch04

Feb 12, 2009
I think that t-shirt is so stupid. We survived it? We were extremely successful during it, it wasn't exactly hard to survive. They act like he was ****ing Ron Low or Bryan Trottier...

Extremely successful? Success in sports is about championships. We were not extremely successful. We were competitive and entertaining for the most part.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Since we are airing our grievances (not that we need an excuse) the outright punishment of physicality from AV at times was terrible. God forbid you stood up for a teammate if your name wasn't Tanner Glass.

AV favored the absolute WORST kind of toughness

Reactions: haveandare

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Press conference stuff doesn't bother me too much because it always just seems like a target for fan frustrations no matter what is said. No matter what a coach says there he's going to have someone criticizing him for it so eh, whatever. I didn't even have a problem with Tortorella's rants for the most part because whatever, they're not hired to placate my ill moods, they're hired to coach a team and hopefully win games.

I just wish AV could have found a way to adjust things to keep the strengths of his system and mitigate the weaknesses.

On the other hand I also watched this team get more and more passive as the years went on...maybe that's a result of his hands off approach to leadership and the players on the team were too laid back and confident in themselves, but I think it also had to do with the coaching philosophy of rather than trying to separate an opposing player from the puck or pressure them into a mistake, you had to try to take away a passing lane and force the puck to go a different direction, which lead to the constant "slowly glide towards an opposing puck carrier and wave your stick around" which didn't work for **** because this is the NHL and giving players time to make their passes usually results in them making at least a decent pass.

Yup, that last paragraph was the second biggest issue I had with him after the ridiculous d-zone "coverage."

Brooks mentioned in his article that AV would punish guys if they stood up for others physically and took penalties. That's a horrible, horrible attitude to try to instill through a team in this sport. And it's not just our guys, it's AV's way for sure. Look at the Sedins being bullied in the finals the year they lost - they let players punch them in the head repeatedly and nobody responded. What kind of team does that build? Not a good one and definitely not a hard one to play against. The Bruins knew they could physically dominate Vancouver and they did.

Reactions: GordonGecko

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Since we are airing our grievances (not that we need an excuse) the outright punishment of physicality from AV at times was terrible. God forbid you stood up for a teammate if your name wasn't Tanner Glass.

AV favored the absolute WORST kind of toughness

Yeah that was weird. he loved to have that one guy in the lineup that did nothing but hit or provide "grit" but he didn't seem to like anyone else on the team doing that stuff. I never got that.

e: I hadn't read that he actually punished guys for it. Eh. Just seems to me like AV couldn't get out of his own way to improve as a coach. Some good ideas and good execution at some things and then just such a weird rigid inability to get beyond other things.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad