Confirmed with Link: Alain Vigneault fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Don't think we need Torts II. Need a teacher, not a hard-liner.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
No, I don't. My point is that the organization chose to handle it in an atypical manner, which speaks to their displeasure.

I have had my teams fire coaches after poor seasons many times over my 40 years of watching sports, and they almost always do it during the week following the last game, during business hours, frequently even giving notice as to when they would inform the press/fans of their decision.

Letting him go at the earliest possible opportunity, mere hours after the last game, likely the moment he returned to the City, on a Saturday, late at night, isn't "not letting him twist in the wind", it's sending a message.

(I added the corporate bit just to draw a parallel in the different ways a person can be let go; obviously, sports are a different animal.)

EDIT: I don't mean to make this overly contentious, so my bad if I have. It just seems pretty clear to me that there was more to this than the typical "it was time to move on, we wish him the best". If you don't see it, that's fine.

Didn’t Willie Randolph get fired in an unprofessional manner?

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Yeah, not interested in a Torts reunion.

Like the guy, good coach, but the organization needs to take a step forward, not backtrack.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I think that t-shirt is so stupid. We survived it? We were extremely successful during it, it wasn't exactly hard to survive. They act like he was ****ing Ron Low or Bryan Trottier...

I don’t know, are you saying if you saw Hank walking down the street wearing that shirt it wouldn’t make perfect sense?

Last edited:
Reactions: Go Away Staal

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
They're paying him $8M to not coach. So he's getting a pretty sweet severance.

The fact that they did it when they did is applause worthy imo. There had to be more going on behind the scenes that lead to it. Sometimes it's a matter of sending a message... and the fact that they canned him after he said he's the best candidate for the job is a big **** you.

I'm not sure if that's a Gorts or Slats move... It's more a JD move. It took years for JD to get rid of the cultural problems the Rangers had, and AV let it all back in.

JD as in John Davidson?

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Give me a modern coach with zero connections to terrible fringe players that does a reasonable job of managing ice time but isn't afraid to ride his horses once the playoffs start. That's all.

Reactions: Inferno

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Its been almost 24 hours and I still can't believe it. This was something I've been waiting on now for literal years, and its finally happened. So surreal, and amazing

Reactions: Inferno

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina
I'm pretty bummed about AV leaving, idk if anyone else feels the same. I'll miss him....unless we come out and start winning right out of the gate...

Like many, you're nervous about the Rangers next search for a head coach. We see recent examples of failures (i.e. Buffalo, Arizona, Carolina, Vancouver) where the wrong hires lead to perpetual suckage. If we mess up this next hire, it can lead to a significant step back for our beloved team. This is gonna be a HUGE summer ahead.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
From Alain Vigneault - "
I would like to thank the New York Rangers management - Mr. James Dolan, Glen Sather and Jeff Gorton - for allowing me the privilege to coach the Rangers. I spent five wonderful years in New York and I want to express my gratitude to all the coaches, players and staff that I worked with during that period of my life. The Rangers have an incredible fan base and I will cherish many special moments, especially our trip to the Stanley Cup Finals. The Rangers are going in a different direction, I respect that and I wish them all the best. Thus far in my coaching career I am very grateful that I have had the privilege to work with three great organizations - Vancouver, and two Original Six teams with New York and Montreal. I have great respect for everyone in the media but for now please understand that I don't intend to comment any further, as I will regroup with my family. Thank you everyone for a great ride and life-lasting memories."
--AV

Statement From Alain Vigneault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad