Status
Not open for further replies.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Its not me that considers an empty net goal even strength. Its just the way it is. Pulling your goalie doesnt actually give you an extra player on the ice. And thats why it is treated as even strength. And all the players in the ice get their plus and minus stats.
That is probably my biggest problem with the plus/ minus stat. Certain players are always on the ice when their team gives up an empty net goal and other players are always on the ice when their team scores an empty net goal.
For the Caps Ovi, Kuzy, Backstrom,Oshie and Carlson are pretty much always on the ice when we give up an empty net goal.

Don't disagree with your premise that EN goals skew +/- stats for individuals, but the same premise applies when looking at EN goals and team defense. EN goals against aren't highly reflective of poor team defense, so the point that the Caps ES defense has improved lately still clearly stands. Its still not good enough overall and the PK is a mess still, but its (ES defense) better than it was when they were giving up 5,6, or 7 goals recently, that one EN goal doesn't change much there.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Don't disagree with your premise that EN goals skews the +/- stats. But the same premise applies that EN goals against aren't highly reflective of poor team defense either. The Caps at ES have been better lately in the last few games vs 5-10 games prior , regardless of one EN goal against. Still not good enough overall, but improved over their awful stretch after the first game.
Agree. Which is why I think empty net goals should be in a category of their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad