Post-Game Talk: alĭ ṣonak coyotl @ reality leigh cup winner 5:07pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I dunno. I wouldnt be against it. I doubt anything like that happens. I think the Caps will stick with their guy.

And it shouldn't, and the Caps should stick with their guy.

My god what kind of trash organization would fire a guy they have been grooming for the past two seasons after 16 games that just helped their team WIN THE STANLEY CUP SIX MONTHS AGO.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
And it shouldn't, and the Caps should stick with their guy.

My god what kind of trash organization would fire a guy they have been grooming for the past two seasons after 16 games that just helped their team WIN THE STANLEY CUP SIX MONTHS AGO.
I said I doubt they would. But you could also ask what kind of trash organization would let their head coach walk after winning a Stanley Cup. If they really wanted him back they would have found a way.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I said I doubt they would. But you could also ask what kind of trash organization would let their head coach walk after winning a Stanley Cup. If they really wanted him back they would have found a way.

They didn't want him back. Trotz knew it, GMBM knew it, most of the fans knew it.

The Caps could have been a trash organization and not let Barry out of his contract but they let him get his money/security and everyone walked away with what they wanted.

If this was Trotz starting with this record, would you, or the other poster, even mention replacing him?

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
They didn't want him back. Trotz knew it, GMBM knew it, most of the fans knew it.

The Caps could have been a trash organization and not let Barry out of his contract but they let him get his money/security and everyone walked away with what they wanted.

If this was Trotz starting with this record, would you, or the other poster, even mention replacing him?

Trotz would be getting the same hate with this level of play

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

You dont believe that the Caps LET Trotz walk away from his contract. I'm sure its what the Caps wanted. If they really wanted to retain him they would have.
About Trotz being fired? It was mentioned several times last year and I was against it. Apparently he was close twice last year. I'll be honest if it was Trotz in this situation I wouldnt want him fired but I could live with it if they replaced him with a quality coach.
And I'll be honest about Reirden. I wouldnt be quick to firing him either even though I'm not impressed so far. Its early, I'm not going to call for his head yet. I was just commenting that Quennville could be an option.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Trotz would be getting the same hate with this level of play

Just as he was last season when they had basically the exact same record.

I joke about perspective but really we do need to have some. Good teams play badly, it happens, the Pens just stopped a five game losing streak.

If the Caps are more than 6 points out of a playoff spot on Dec. 1st, I will officially be like "damn, they may miss the playoffs". Because on that date recent history shows you drop to around a 12% chance of making it if you don't hold a spot. And even then I probably won't be too pressed because no one is running and hiding in the east, it looks like it will be tight all season.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Trotz would have been fired by now.
Unless you believe they could have both returned Trotz on a short-term deal and retained Reirden...probably not. The pool of coaching talent available should lead to more turnover league-wide but if Trotz returned he likely would have been locked up and had the staff shuffled to his liking. Very little chance Leonsis would okay very shortly dumping him. If he was the guy he would have had a long leash.

They miss the grit of 44/43, particularly when 8/92 aren't playing up to their talent level 5-on-5. Their forward depth is predictably not too impressive when the collective discipline and engagement are off. Jaskin is kind of redundant when they have so many offensively-challenged forwards. They probably need something of a shake-up trade to change the mix up, particularly if they stumble through this road trip. Some of the headliners need to be way more consistently engaged but eventually they need to make a call on a player like Burakovsky and conclude it's not going to happen. I'd sooner keep Connolly around at this point.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I don't think getting Wilson back is some magic panacea, I mean teams lose important players all the time and survive but I definitely think there is an intangible that Wilson brings that can't be replaced.

Probably why I felt so much anger at Wilson the second he threw that hit.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I don't think getting Wilson back is some magic panacea, I mean teams lose important players all the time and survive but I definitely think there is an intangible that Wilson brings that can't be replaced.

Probably why I felt so much anger at Wilson the second he threw that hit.

Probably true unless the lack of Wilson is whats causing Ovi and Kuzy to play like they just don't care right now. Their respective effort level is terrible right now and I have no doubt whatsoever that it drags the whole team down with them. Maybe Willy will re-energize those two? Or maybe we just have to wait til they're in a real hole to dog out of to find some motivation?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Probably true unless the lack of Wilson is whats causing Ovi and Kuzy to play like they just don't care right now. Their respective effort level is terrible right now and I have no doubt whatsoever that it drags the whole team down with them. Maybe Willy will re-energize those two? Or maybe we just have to wait til they're in a real hole to dog out of to find some motivation?

I am a huge Ovie fan so of course I am going to be bias here, I do agree that Ovie and Kuzy have not been 100% for more than a few games. That being said would it kill some other lines to step up and provide some friggin' offense??!?!?!?!

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Game sucked but really the defense made great strides in the last week.

They obviously need to get the PK figured out ASAP but in the last three games they have given up TWO even strength goal, so it's not all doom and gloom here.

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Dumb penalties and terrible PK killed them. Just very dumb penalties by Kuznetsov and Oshie. Both easily avoidable in the offensive zone.

I still hate the Ovechkin - Backstrom - Oshie line, especially with Wilson still out. With so many guys going cold they just can't afford to throw out line like that. Especially now as Kuznetsov has gone cold if you put those 3 together they need to take over or Holtby to go to god-mode to even get a win.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
When Ovie-Backstrom-Oshie lose the puck - or lose the face-off in the D-zone - they can't get the puck back. There's not enough quickness and puck retrieval capacity among those 3 to get it back.

Todd broke up Kuzy and Ovie and the result was both went into no-show mode on 2 different lines. Also not sure why there's the ongoing angst about who should play with Ovie and Kuzy until 43 gets back - it seems pretty clear to me that Conno had the best chemistry with them.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Game sucked but really the defense made great strides in the last week.

They obviously need to get the PK figured out ASAP but in the last three games they have given up ONE even strength goal, so it's not all doom and gloom here.
They gave up 2 even strength goals yesterday.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Technically one even strength (the 3rd one) and one EN (4th goal) with the goalie pulled, the other two were PP goals.
I should have known that's the way you guys were thinking. Technically that empty net goal is an even strength goal and that is the way it will show up in the stats.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Hey if you consider empty netters even "strength goals" then cool.

But, I did miss an even strength goal against the Oilers, so it was two in the past three games not one goal.
Its not me that considers an empty net goal even strength. Its just the way it is. Pulling your goalie doesnt actually give you an extra player on the ice. And thats why it is treated as even strength. And all the players in the ice get their plus and minus stats.
That is probably my biggest problem with the plus/ minus stat. Certain players are always on the ice when their team gives up an empty net goal and other players are always on the ice when their team scores an empty net goal.
For the Caps Ovi, Kuzy, Backstrom,Oshie and Carlson are pretty much always on the ice when we give up an empty net goal.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
When Ovie-Backstrom-Oshie lose the puck - or lose the face-off in the D-zone - they can't get the puck back. There's not enough quickness and puck retrieval capacity among those 3 to get it back.

Todd broke up Kuzy and Ovie and the result was both went into no-show mode on 2 different lines. Also not sure why there's the ongoing angst about who should play with Ovie and Kuzy until 43 gets back - it seems pretty clear to me that Conno had the best chemistry with them.

It's Oshie.

8-92-77 in
2015-16: 55.7 CF%, 10 GF, 5 GA, 60% SCF, 68% HDCF in 178 minutes together
2016-17: 57.7 CF%, 5 GF, 0 GA, 61% SCF, 60% HDCF in 79 minutes together
2017-18: 61.9 CF%, 5 GF, 2 GA, 71% SCF, 62% HDCF in 30 minutes together

They outscored opponents 20-7 at 5 on 5 in their time together during the last three years.

You're right about 8-19-77 and their lack of foot speed being a problem on puck retrievals, it's a big reason why I dislike that line.

It's why they're one and done as well in the offensive zone.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Its not me that considers an empty net goal even strength. Its just the way it is. Pulling your goalie doesnt actually give you an extra player on the ice. And thats why it is treated as even strength. And all the players in the ice get their plus and minus stats.
That is probably my biggest problem with the plus/ minus stat. Certain players are always on the ice when their team gives up an empty net goal and other players are always on the ice when their team scores an empty net goal.
For the Caps Ovi, Kuzy, Backstrom,Oshie and Carlson are pretty much always on the ice when we give up an empty net goal.

Don't disagree with your premise that EN goals skews the +/- stats. But the same premise applies that EN goals against aren't highly reflective of poor team defense either. The Caps at ES have been better lately in the last few games vs 5-10 games prior , regardless of one EN goal against. Still not good enough overall, but improved over their awful stretch after the first game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad