AJ Greer (2015, 39th overall)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I have warmed up to Greer, though I think he was drafted a bit too early for my liking. Don't think he would have fell to Avs third after thinking more about it, but I wish Avs decided to trade up from 3rd for him somewhere in the late second. BUT I will say I am in agreement with you here, he would have been a PPG player quite easily in the USHL. Which isn't an easy feat to do in the USHL, since it is known as a very good two-way defensive junior league. I don't think he would have had as much hype as Boeser, who is clearly the more talented player IMO, but he would have probably went in the first ten positions of the 2nd.

I'd agree with that. I don't think Greer would have made it past 50, but I really don't have an issue with Greer where he was since the Avs had another pick right after it. If they would have just drafted Greer at 40 and had no other picks, I would have been more opposed.

Between Boeser and Greer in USHL... Boeser is more talented and has shown more scoring ability. Greer is bigger and more athletic. I think the hype would have been about the same, but Greer still would have been selected in the same area that he was. So yeah... Boeser ahead of Greer, but I think the hype around the picks would have been about the same.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Where do you guys usually watch college hockey? Is it available on TV in the US or mostly just online?

I'd love to catch some of Greer's games. I watched them a few times last year but I was mainly focused on Eichel so I didn't notice Greer at all. I'm hoping TSN shows a lot of college games again next year. I kinda doubt it now that Eichel and Hanifin are gone but maybe it's something they'll continue doing because they don't have NHL rights anymore.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
NBC Sports Network started showing NCAA games last year. It's becoming more and more available through TV.

It'd be nice if the NCAA guys the Avs picked up the last few weeks came to Denver this year, but that's not the case.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Where do you guys usually watch college hockey? Is it available on TV in the US or mostly just online?

I'd love to catch some of Greer's games. I watched them a few times last year but I was mainly focused on Eichel so I didn't notice Greer at all. I'm hoping TSN shows a lot of college games again next year. I kinda doubt it now that Eichel and Hanifin are gone but maybe it's something they'll continue doing because they don't have NHL rights anymore.

NBC Sports Network and Big10 Network.

Maybe Greer can have a huge year and then we can send him to Boston for Danton Heinen :naughty:

Really though, I'm glad there's some players to look out for in the college game, college hockey rocks.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Big Ten hockey is on the Big Ten Network quite a bit. Hockey East is on NBCSN, Fox College Sports, and NESN. WCHA used to (probably still has) an online subscription. NCHC has an online subscription.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Y'all will give a heads up when we can watch Greer and Compher, yes? I'll be on the look out for this stuff but it's just so not my forte that I know I'll miss something.

The TV schedules should come out in August for the hockey season (the dates and teams are already out). Almost every Michigan game is on somewhere... Boston is 50/50.

FS Detroit also carries a lot of Michigan games.

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-hockey/sched/mich-m-hockey-sched.html

http://www.goterriers.com/sports/m-hockey/sched/bost-m-hockey-sched.html#

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'm confused now, was it due to a futures trade from before? Stuart played with us last year. Of course none of this actually matters now, I just like keeping track of the transactions happening.
We traded 31 for the 39th pick, our 2nd rounder next year, and our 6th rounder next year. The 2nd and 6th were what we traded to San Jose for Stuart.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm confused now, was it due to a futures trade from before? Stuart played with us last year. Of course none of this actually matters now, I just like keeping track of the transactions happening.

The Avs got the picks back that they send to San Jose for Stuart and the #39 pick for the #31 pick

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Are all the televised NCAA games on Hockey Streams as well?

Nope. Only the frozen four were.

Thanks guys, I'm used to looking for DU and have found those but with all the channels and what is/isn't available here can be tough. We do have the sports package so if it's available in Denver I probably get it.

I knew DU was playing at BU and looks like BU plays Michigan. Those will be good to catch at least.

Last edited:

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I was poking around Google to see what the news and reaction to AJ Greer being selected by the Avalanche and found my way here. (Disclaimer: Blues/Devils fan)

AVs have a really good one here. I became a fan of his by way of the USHL. I was in Des Moines on a weekend a couple of years ago and caught a Bucs game. My friend was coach at the time so I got some "inside" stuff as well.

After a couple of shifts, he was easy to spot. Big, mobile, good hockey sense, a competitor and he had great hands. He started out playing left wing and then when there were a bunch of penalties he has put on defense. In this game he was easily the best player on the ice. By the second period he was being double-shifted and played a big role in a win. He was selected the first star. I went down near the players room to say hi to my buddy. Naturally he was talking about Greer. He told me that this kid was a stud and a sure fire NHL player. Then he told me that he was only 15 and that he was going back to his prep school in Boston because he was only on loan for the weekend.
He was supposed to go to the Bucs but went into university a year early. I watched every game in the Frozen Four on TV. You could tell he was a stud and one of the youngest players. He won his battles, was defensively sound, set up his linemates and scored an NHL goal on a one-timer.

The person who wrote about seeing him in the championship game must have been watching another player. He didn't show poor puck skills. He was one of the 5 best players in the game. I'm pretty sure that there are sites which show this game. If you take the time to watch it again (26 for Boston U), I think you will come up with another version on Greer. I saw that game and I saw absolutely none of what was written. Greer doesn't have Kane hands but he is a top six NHLer for sure. He sure can skate.

Looking at the NHL draft ranking on forums like this was confusing for me. Some had him in the first round and others had him in the later rounds. People like a player or they don't. That's the way of the world and having an opinion matters. It will be interesting for me to hear how things go at the prospect camp and how those who actually saw him feel about him.

I wish that the Blues got him. I may end up becoming an AVs fan after all. I actually liked the Nordiques so it won't be too much of an adjustment. Good luck to the team and the player.

Nope, was watching number 26. And I'm kind of a perfectionist. When watching a player I always rewind to make sure I don't miss part of a shift and if I cant tell a number I will rewind further back to where I can tell who is who and just follow each player forward to make sure I'm not mixing up someone. He played with Oksanen, never caught the centers name. But he had some time with Eichel as well when the C's were the only guys to make a shift change. Really good hitter. Almost put someone into a bench at one point. Great skater and effort.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
What I like about Greer (having read about him) is that he seems like a safe bet to have some sort of impact. He could be an effective checking winger or he could even surprise and reach into the top 6 because he has the tools there to play offensively. College will be a great opportunity for him to develop for 2-3 years and find his offensive game while refining his defensive game.

Correct me if I'm wrong in any of that though... all I've done is read reports on him.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Considering what hot house flowers and slow developing Power Forwards are having an extra two years available in college isn't a bad thing.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
We've had enough of this arguing back and forth for pages now, it's not adding any value to the discussion of Greer. Let's all drop it and talk about something new. Anything further about this argument I'm deleting so don't even bother. I wrote a whole paragraph on him in the camp thread that hasn't seemed to interest anyone.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
We've had enough of this arguing back and forth for pages now, it's not adding any value to the discussion of Greer. Let's all drop it and talk about something new. Anything further about this argument I'm deleting so don't even bother. I wrote a whole paragraph on him in the camp thread that hasn't seemed to interest anyone.
Oh it interested me very much. Always happy to read things on our prospects. I think Greer has a lot of potential. I love the way he plays the game and his attitude. I can't wait to see how he does this year in a much bigger role.

I for one will always appreciate your comments, or anybody's for that matter, on any of our prospects so please keep up the great work.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
What I like about Greer (having read about him) is that he seems like a safe bet to have some sort of impact. He could be an effective checking winger or he could even surprise and reach into the top 6 because he has the tools there to play offensively. College will be a great opportunity for him to develop for 2-3 years and find his offensive game while refining his defensive game.

Correct me if I'm wrong in any of that though... all I've done is read reports on him.

Considering what hot house flowers and slow developing Power Forwards are having an extra two years available in college isn't a bad thing.

I'm mostly a "reader" too when it comes to these fresh prospects, but I think these two posts sum up my thoughts perfectly.

After the effort he showed this week (especially as described by @BSNAvalanche), I think if he continues to put that kind of work/effort in for a couple years in college, we will see at minimum, an NHL contributor.

I'm guessing he'll be a McGinn type, which is something this team will need going forward as Tangs and Iginla eventually move on, and his timeline fits about perfectly.

Definitely more excited about Greer than I was about our other forwards in the system before this offseason (besides Bleackley).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad