AJ Greer (2015, 39th overall)

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
RS retweeted a lot on Greer on twitter from other draft resources. It seems like he was buried this year, and with BU losing a lot of guys, he'll play more.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
This is from the HP Black Book...

“I heard some NHL Scouts say they were down on him but I think the kid needs to be cut a little slack. He probably shouldn’t have been in Boston this year and he still managed to hang in there. I thought he had some good performances, especially finishing off his draft year.†- Mark Edwards

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I think we could have picked a guy like Sprong who's got elite potential or a guy like Harkins even and I'd have been happier.

But I don't actually really mind the pick. I would have liked someone else, but that's not a disaster. Liked his interview too, looked like a good kid.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
This pick feels like a reach to me. I feel like there was a good chance he would have been there at 71, if they wanted him.

I feel like we left some really talented guys on the table to take him.

Avs better hope he becomes a stud a BU.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Don't know much about him but a lot of people seem to like him.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Seven points in 37 GP. So few points that it is grammatically correct to write "seven" instead of 7.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
In my mind, the cubbard has been restocked so well this weekend with Rantanen, Compher and Meloche all looking like sure thing NHLers in some capacity plus the additional second rounder we got from the 31 pick - if Hepple and Co want to take a shot on a guy who is raw but has impressive physical traits and upside - then go for it.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
Seems like a big risk taking him so early when he hasn't played much. How much could you judge someone from HS+barely any play time in College.
Avs seem to have good luck with BU players though.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He said Avs were one of the teams showing the most interest. Watched him and talked to him a lot leading up.

Also said Roy's sister was his 5th grade teacher back in Quebec. The scouting process started early with this one.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not a fan of this selection, not because of him as a player, but where he was picked. I would much rather risk him falling to third than pick him with our 1st of two 2nd rounders. The biggest reason is because the dude is EXTREMELY raw. This isn't Justin Bailey raw, AJ is easily way more raw than Justin. But he is well built for a 17/18 year old, great on the forecheck, and possesses a heavy shot.

Was bounced around from 4th to healthy scratch due to his age and the rawness I spoke of. Should definitely get more minutes next year and have better offensive numbers. Don't think he is as good as Kevin Hayes, as Kevin reads the play higher while Greer is still learning, but expect the same type of player IMO.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
whoever is scouting BU team historically seems to have a strong voice in the scouting department

I wonder if the same scout has been in place for the last 3+ years or have they changed? That would tell me a lot about this pick.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Ryan Kennedy is real high on him, apparently.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/colorado-goes-with-big-time-upside-at-the-draft/
It would have been pretty easy for left winger A.J. Greer to have returned to Kimball Union Academy in New Hampshire this season and plunder the prep ranks. Instead, the Quebec-born power forward went to Boston University, where he was a teenaged freshman on a premier team. Early on, Greer was a fourth-liner at best, sometimes a healthy scratch while teammate Jack Eichel destroyed the college ranks. But Greer persevered and by the time Boston was playing for the national title, he was a scoring winger on the second line. Now, he has been rewarded at the draft, as Colorado took him 39th overall.

“It was definitely a hard transition from prep school to college,†Greer said. “But I would never take back that decision, because of the maturity I’ve gained on and off the ice, the experiences I’ve been through with the guys at Boston University, the life moments I’ve gained.â€
Greer has offensive upside, but it’s that physical nuclear option in his arsenal that caught coach David Quinn’s eye early on, before the points trickled through. No doubt the left winger will play a bigger role on the Terriers next season, especially with Eichel surely gone and Evan Rodrigues signing a pro deal with the Sabres as well.
“Throughout the year I gained more and more confidence from my teammates and my coaches,†he said. “That was special to me.â€
Greer believes his combination of size (he’s 6-foot-3 and 214 pounds already) and skill are a good fit for Colorado and of course he is excited to join a franchise run by Joe Sakic and Patrick Roy, legends in his home province.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So he's a huge music fan and loves country and rap? He'll be buds with both Dutchy and Nate.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
whoever is scouting BU team historically seems to have a strong voice in the scouting department

I wonder if the same scout has been in place for the last 3+ years or have they changed? That would tell me a lot about this pick.

That would be Neil Shea, he's been an Av scout since 06/07. He's a former BC player and based in the New England area. He also coached Noah Hanifin at a young age, and was the one that transitioned him from forward to defense.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

David Quinn is the head coach there. I don't think there is any bad blood between him and Avs, so I'm sure they asked his opinion.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
That would be Neil Shea, he's been an Av scout since 06/07. He's a former BC player and based in the New England area. He also coached Noah Hanifin at a young age, and was the one that transitioned him from forward to defense.

11 BU players have entered the system (Erie or NHL) since 06. That's over 1 player a year. Just interesting. You can pretty much bet we will draft or acquire a young BU guy every single year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad