Affiliates IX: Cleveland Monsters and more (All Affiliate Talk Here)

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I agree I just don't think these 20 year olds are it yet. If they're on the team they'll play on the bottom pair and have little impact. They'll have more of an impact if they're in the AHL in another year or two.
I don't know if they think they are it, per se, I think they may feel that they are mentally strong enough to handle adversity in a tougher league. I'll use Kivlenieks as an example. I don't think they thought he was ready to go to the AHL, but they thought mentally he was tough enough. They wouldn't have put the pressure on him by giving him the workload when Thiessen went down. Yeah, it took a toll on him, and a demotion to the ECHL, but they were right on his toughness. He worked hard and got himself back to the point that he was in the conversation that he could be a decent NHL backup.

They may see similar things with these guys and feel they can handle it. They might be wrong, but, they may be right. Being a developmental league, I don't think there is much of a difference between top and bottom pair on the Monsters. Plus, I am sure that Columbus will keep a close eye on how they are played, and that they are coached more how Columbus wants them coached, then they would if they were in juniors.

Macster

Aug 26, 2005
Hammonds Plains, NS
Hey folks, been a long while. Hope some of the old goats from way back are still around.

I've got Monsters on my mind, and I'm thinking as long as the NHL roster doesn't get nuked by injury or poor play, Cleveland will be very good on the back end, and depending on how the forwards shake out very good overall.

Assuming the CBJ will carry 8 D to start the season (I'm at Werenski, Peeke, Boqvist, Gavrikov, Bean, Gudbranson, Blankenburg, Bayreuther), the Monsters group could look something like this (handedness not taken into account):

Christiansen - Knazko
Svozil - Bjork
Bjorgvik-Holm - Simpson
Sweezey - Berni
Clayton - Leblanc

That's a young group, but very skilled and balanced. Couple that d-corps with Tarasov-Greaves-Cajan in net and I'm thinking the Monsters should be worth the price of admission.

I'm really intrigued with respect to the forwards. CBJ camp will be fascinating from that perspective - part of me wonders if the big club goes balanced and experienced and sends a few of the skilled kids down. Wouldn't it be wild if the Monsters (at least to start the year) featured some of the young skilled guys?

As I did above, let's for poops and giggles assume the Jackets' roster features these forwards, a veteran-heavy lineup (at least in the bottom six):

Gaudreau - Roslovic - Laine
K. Johnson - Sillinger - Voracek
Nyquist- Jenner - Danforth
Robinson - Kuraly - Olivier
Meyer

then the Monsters would throw out a forward group looking like this:

Marchenko - Gaunce - Chinakhov
Foudy - Angle - Bemstrom
Fix-Wolansky - Dunne - Luoto
Ahcan - O.Sillinger - Fonstad
----
Gaudet - Bradford - Payne
Gallant - Richards - Irvine

For an AHL team, that would be way above-average. Let the young Russians snipe and force the big club to integrate them into the NHL lineup.

I haven't posted in years, just having a spot of fun with this one. Take care folks, going to be a fun season!

EDIT: haha, this should have been in the Monsters thread. I'm rusty!

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Hey folks, been a long while. Hope some of the old goats from way back are still around.

I've got Monsters on my mind, and I'm thinking as long as the NHL roster doesn't get nuked by injury or poor play, Cleveland will be very good on the back end, and depending on how the forwards shake out very good overall.

Assuming the CBJ will carry 8 D to start the season (I'm at Werenski, Peeke, Boqvist, Gavrikov, Bean, Gudbranson, Blankenburg, Bayreuther), the Monsters group could look something like this (handedness not taken into account):

Christiansen - Knazko
Svozil - Bjork
Bjorgvik-Holm - Simpson
Sweezey - Berni
Clayton - Leblanc

That's a young group, but very skilled and balanced. Couple that d-corps with Tarasov-Greaves-Cajan in net and I'm thinking the Monsters should be worth the price of admission.

I'm really intrigued with respect to the forwards. CBJ camp will be fascinating from that perspective - part of me wonders if the big club goes balanced and experienced and sends a few of the skilled kids down. Wouldn't it be wild if the Monsters (at least to start the year) featured some of the young skilled guys?

As I did above, let's for poops and giggles assume the Jackets' roster features these forwards, a veteran-heavy lineup (at least in the bottom six):

Meyer

Foudy - Angle - Bemstrom
----

For an AHL team, that would be way above-average. Let the young Russians snipe and force the big club to integrate them into the NHL lineup.

I haven't posted in years, just having a spot of fun with this one. Take care folks, going to be a fun season!

f***in-a Macster!

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

Christiansen - Knazko
Svozil - Bjork
Bjorgvik-Holm - Simpson
Sweezey - Berni
Clayton - Leblanc

Meyer

Foudy - Angle - Bemstrom
----

Macster ????????!!!

Overall I have been hoping for this to happen but I think the names are going to be different depending on how Jarmo and Co view players like Bemstrom and Foudy getting claimed on waivers, whether they decide to move someone during camp instead of losing them for nothing or whether Jarmo continues to rush these young players to the NHL team.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm skeptical that this report on Svozil and Knazko is true. I think the author might just be making assumptions about where the Jackets will assign them.

Reactions: LJ7

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I'm skeptical that this report on Svozil and Knazko is true. I think the author might just be making assumptions about where the Jackets will assign them.
According to the twitter feed below, Svozil is in Regina's training camp but been sitting in the stands so far, fwiw. Knazko isn't even listed on Seattle's camp roster.

• Wow

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
They would use an overage and import slot on their respective teams so I could see why their WHL teams would be hesitant. Probably not as big of a deal with Regina.
Actually with Svozil not turning 20 until mid season Im not sure if he would classify as an overager or what their cutoff is

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
They would use an overage and import slot on their respective teams so I could see why their WHL teams would be hesitant. Probably not as big of a deal with Regina.
Actually with Svozil not turning 20 until mid season Im not sure if he would classify as an overager or what their cutoff is
I believe @CBJProspects said he counts as both

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
According to the twitter feed below, Svozil is in Regina's training camp but been sitting in the stands so far, fwiw. Knazko isn't even listed on Seattle's camp roster.

If Svozil is sitting in the stands to rehab his shoulder (?) injury, that would help me explain some of his baffling plays at last month's WJC. I have long thought that mental mistakes often come from physical weakness.

For Knazko I'd get why Seattle would prefer to use their slots elsewhere, presuming they still have Korchinski returning. But in Regina Svozil would be the clear top D which I think would make him indispensable. It is also the best situation possible for Svozil's development.

If Knazko has to join the Monsters this year I would be fine with that. He's a bit of a long shot anyways and this way he'll get fresh coaching and he might get PP2 time just the same as in juniors.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Sounds like Pyhhtia is coming over...so add another to the roster
Menettääkö TPS kultakimpaleensa? Taskussa vain menolippu Columbukseen
Columbus Blue Jackets tai TPS. Siinä ovat tähtihyökkääjä Mikael Pyyhtiän alkavan kauden seuravaihtoehdot.

– Lähden maanantaina TPS:n CHL-reissun jälkeen Columbuksen harjoitusleirille. Ei ole reissun pituudesta mitään tietoa. Se on vain sanottu, että maanantaina on lähtö, Pyyhtiä sanoo Iltalehdelle.

– En osaa yhtään sanoa, että missä tällä kaudella pelaan. Annan siellä leirillä kaikkeni. Jos se ei riitä (NHL-paikkaan), sitten tulen vuodeksi takaisin Tepsiin, laitahyökkääjä jatkaa.

Article from Friday in a Finnish tabloid. There he says he'll either play in Columbus or in TPS next year, depending on how the camp goes. AHL is not an option in his case (the article implies it's due to some (CBA?) rules but I'm not sure if they're correct on that).

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Thank you for sharing! I'm really intrigued to see how the Cleveland lineup shakes out this season.

You're welcome! By the way, the three names you may not recognize are Tyler Irvine, Erik Bradford, and Brandon Saigeon. All three are forwards. The first two are AHL contract guys who didn't getinvited to CBJ camp and Saigeon is an invite to Monsters camp (as is G Hayden Stewart, who was in CBJ camp).

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Seems like this will be an interesting mix of
high end prospects: Marchenko and Jiricek
other prospects still probably a ways away: Jet, Knazko and OJBH
players on the cusp of NHL opportunities: Carson Meyer, Christiansen, Bayreuther, TFW, Gaunce and Dunne
young guys who have shown a little something: Angle and Silly
and then some veterans

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Silly intrigues me, he's small but after scoring just one goal in his first ten pro games he went on a hot streak with 2 Gs and 8 Pts in his last seven. Interested to see if he gets off to a hot start this year.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Monsters just announced outdoor game at First Energy Stadium March 4th agianst Wilkes-Barrie.

I have done Frozen Fenway in Boston in early February (not usually as cold as Cleveland on the lakefront) and I have done many Browns games in December and the beginning of January. Too freaking cold to be sitting on your ass for three hours doing nothing.

Besides that, football stadiums and baseball parks are horrible venues to watch a hockey game.

NFW you are getting me to sit inside FES in March (or the OSU vs UM game in February). That crap is for brain dead college kids. Now...get off my lawn!

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
The Monsters say
I have done Frozen Fenway in Boston in early February (not usually as cold as Cleveland on the lakefront) and I have done many Browns games in December and the beginning of January. Too freaking cold to be sitting on your ass for three hours doing nothing.

Besides that, football stadiums and baseball parks are horrible venues to watch a hockey game.

NFW you are getting me to sit inside FES in March (or the OSU vs UM game in February). That crap is for brain dead college kids. Now...get off my lawn!
Couldn't agree more. I have no desire to go to this game. Having gone to plenty of crappy weather Browns games, I would be alright no matter the weather, I just prefer to watch hockey in a hockey arena. Outdoor games lost their luster for me after the first one in Buffalo. Don't really care for them.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Happy for the Monsters but it is Bullsh*t that the Monsters get an outdoor game before the CBJ.
tOSU playing Michigan in Cleveland this February tells you all you need to know about whether the CBJ will ever get an outdoor game at The Shoe. If the CBJ are going to host an outdoor game it will either be at one of the Crew stadiums or the Clippers park.

Not that I care because I still wouldn't go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad