Affiliates IX: Cleveland Monsters and more (All Affiliate Talk Here)

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Can you give us an update on Jake’s current game? Can he crack the Jacket’s top 6 next year?
Currently he is back to the way he was playing earlier in the year. When he came back from his first call up, he went through a rough patch. There were some games where he was making some big mistakes that ended up in the back of the net. He has since worked through it, and is playing well. I wouldn't put it past him to crack the top 6, I thought he held his own quite well when he was in Columbus. He's pretty good for being undrafted.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Officials currently destroying an already bad game. 11 people in the box between both teams, 10 of them on 10 minute misconducts. Monsters have 5 guys on the ice, 7 on the bench, and 6 in the box, all for 10 minutes. Monsters getting smoked 4-0. 6 shots on goal, halfway through the 2nd.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
2 Gs and 6 Pts in his last five games, Silly #2 seems to be finding his way in the AHL...good for him.

Question...what happened to Jet? He get hurt? Not even on roster.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
2 Gs and 6 Pts in his last five games, Silly #2 seems to be finding his way in the AHL...good for him.

Question...what happened to Jet? He get hurt? Not even on roster.
Most likely. Jet hasn't been seen for a while. Linden Marshall is the new backup as Cam Johnson moved up. Marshall recorded his first shutout yesterday in his second start. Rochester pulled their goalie with about 2:30 left, and the puck stayed in the Monsters end for the rest of the game, with no whistles. He definitely earned his shutout, as when the horn sounded, he couldn't stand up straight to celebrate, as it took everything he had left to keep the puck out. The Monsters didn't even get a good chance at all to clear the zone. They never had possesion that whole time.

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
Well, we are at least going to see an end of this awful Monsters season. Feels like not an ideal place in terms of player development for most of last season, you are not learning how to win from losing. We will hopefully see some turn around next year.

I saw some tweets (not sure who it was) that board is already planning some coaching staff change, Eaves probably retiring and one of Vogelhuber/Letestu taking his role. Anyone following Monsters closely with any informations?

Reactions: majormajor

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Well I truly hope Nolan Baumgartner won't be one of the candidates for ANY vacancy in the Monsters coaching staff. If any of you watched Team Canada at the U18s, you know what I'm talking about.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Good deal...buy tix to last game of season (Saturday Night) Fan Appreciation Night and get tickets to Opening Night 2022-2023.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Monsters announced today that Coach Eaves will be stepping away from bench duties. I guess that means he is retiring. Didn't say anything else, or if anyone is replacing him.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Monsters announced today that Coach Eaves will be stepping away from bench duties. I guess that means he is retiring. Didn't say anything else, or if anyone is replacing him.
I got the impression this was always going to be Eaves last season. Am I wrong? Also, seems to me there would be no hurry to name a replacement and

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I got the impression this was always going to be Eaves last season. Am I wrong? Also, seems to me there would be no hurry to name a replacement and
I really don't know if it was the plan all along. With all 3 of his seasons affected by covid, he never really had a full normal season as coach. I am guessing since he wasn't on the bench this year, it was probably going to be his last. My girlfriend talked to him a few months ago asking how he was doing, and he told her he was going to be back on the bench soon, but that never happened. They may have been grooming Letestu or Volgelhuber for the job, but who knows who will get it, if it is either one of them, or they go outside the organization. Like you said, I don't think there is any hurry to name a coach.

Reactions: tunnelvision

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
• The plan all along was for veteran coach Mike Eaves to retire after this season with AHL Cleveland, but the organization made it official on Saturday that his last game was a 5-2 loss to Grand Rapids in the Monsters’ season finale. Eaves, 65, had an incredible career as a coach, highlighted by his 14-year run at the University of Wisconsin. The Monsters were 68-76-23 in three seasons under Eaves.

• Look for the Blue Jackets to move quickly to get a new staff in place with the Monsters, and one name to keep in mind is Trent Vogelhuber, a Columbus native. Vogelhuber, a former Blue Jackets draft pick, impressed the organization last fall when he took over coaching the prospects in Traverse City on short notice. Already an assistant under Eaves in Cleveland, Vogelhuber, 33, took on a much larger role this season and should be seen as a strong candidate.

Reactions: Monstershockey

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
Is there any chance Letestu will get consideration to replace Eaves?
I think that a chance is for sure there, but i will not be surprised if one of Vogelhuber/Boll will get that job, i personally think that Vogelhuber will be the man, to me it looks like CBJ board was slowly preparing him to the job past years and they will be finally able to look at what coaching potential they have in him.

Last edited:

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
They may have been grooming Letestu or Volgelhuber for the job, but who knows who will get it, if it is either one of them, or they go outside the organization. Like you said, I don't think there is any hurry to name a coach.
Thats exactly what i was thinking about, looks like Jarmo was nurturing Vogelhuber for that role and will continue to do so. I personally dont see Letestu to take that job straight away after a single season as Ass.Coach but i may be wrong and Mark was the one more in charge. I would not leave out possibility of seeing three of Vogelhuber, Letestu, Boll and Dorsett on the Cleveland’s bench next year,.

I also wouldn't be surprised by a similar staff additions as last year by signing retired players, mostly with some ties to organization. Expecting to finally see Dubinsky getting some position within the club. Gerbe will sooner or later be part of coaching staff, i cant see any other scenario. There are guys like Dalton Prout who is currently working under Zito as Panthers scour (many Panthers staff have cbj ties), Marc Methot, Aaron Johnson may get new position within a club, Matty Calvert (yes please!). Zac Dalpe, Scott Harrington, Dillon Simpson or even Brett Gallant may be another adepts when they retire. Fedor Tyutin is currently a head coach of blue jackets youth team, former nhl player Dave Steckel is also living in Ohio and is also a youth coach. Dont know whats going on with Andrew Cassels and his coaching career but thats another name.

Last edited:
Reactions: Monstershockey

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Thats exactly what i was thinking about, looks like Jarmo was nurturing Vogelhuber for that role and will continue to do so. I personally dont see Letestu to take that job straight away after a single season as Ass.Coach but i may be wrong and Mark was the one more in charge. I would not leave out possibility of seeing three of Vogelhuber, Letestu, Boll and Dorsett on the Cleveland’s bench next year,.

I also wouldn't be surprised by a similar staff additions as last year by signing retired players, mostly with some ties to organization. Expecting to finally see Dubinsky getting some position within the club. Gerbe will sooner or later be part of coaching staff, i cant see any other scenario. There are guys like Dalton Prout who is currently working under Zito as Panthers scour (many Panthers staff have cbj ties), Marc Methot, Aaron Johnson may get new position within a club, Matty Calvert (yes please!). Zac Dalpe, Scott Harrington, Dillon Simpson or even Brett Gallant may be another adepts when they retire. Fedor Tyutin is currently a head coach of blue jackets youth team, former nhl player Dave Steckel is also living in Ohio and is also a youth coach. Dont know whats going on with Andrew Cassels and his coaching career but thats another name.
Slow down Mikey, I was exhausted just reading your enthusiasm for the list of players with ties to the CBJ or central Ohio that could be on the Monsters coaching staff. I don't think having ties to the organization is a pre-requisite (perhaps just a bonus). The two most successful coaches we have had in Columbus were Hitch and Torts and neither had real CBJ connections before getting the job. I don't believe Jared Bender had any connections to Ohio, the CBJ or Cleveland hockey clubs before he was hired to coach the Monsters. I would say that was a resounding success going outside the organization.

Sometimes promoting from within is the right thing to do...sometimes not so much. A coach or front office person should be hired because of their ability to coach/scout/administrate and not because of where they played hockey or currently live.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Slow down Mikey, I was exhausted just reading your enthusiasm for the list of players with ties to the CBJ or central Ohio that could be on the Monsters coaching staff. I don't think having ties to the organization is a pre-requisite (perhaps just a bonus). The two most successful coaches we have had in Columbus were Hitch and Torts and neither had real CBJ connections before getting the job. I don't believe Jared Bender had any connections to Ohio, the CBJ or Cleveland hockey clubs before he was hired to coach the Monsters. I would say that was a resounding success going outside the organization.

Sometimes promoting from within is the right thing to do...sometimes not so much. A coach or front office person should be hired because of their ability to coach/scout/administrate and not because of where they played hockey or currently live.
I'm thinking it's going to be either Vogelhuber or Letestu. Vogelhuber has been here since Madden started, if they weren't high on him as a future coaching prospect, I'm thinking he would have moved on by now. I was always partial to Ryan Craig. He always had the respect of all the guys in the room when he played. He has been in Vegas so long now, I doubt he would want to move down just to be a head coach. Also, reading his bio on the Vegas site, he probably had too nice of things to say about Torts for people to want him in the organization again. I don't think having a Columbus connection is so important, Eaves actually had a very slight but humorous Cleveland connection, but it had nothing to do with his hiring. If they go outside the organization, that would be fine, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad