Player Discussion Adam Ruzicka

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Very clever statement- using PP as some automatic point machine this season. I have probably been watching a dif Calgary team this season where Ruzicka fed that truck from Colorado or that 2nd rounder in Tampa...
Is playing on the PP not “opportunity”?

If we’re going to say he was given no opportunity, let’s not ignore the instances where he was…

Ruzicka leads all Flames skaters in PP points per 60.
He does not based on the stats I’m looking at right now.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Is playing on the PP not “opportunity”?

If we’re going to say he was given no opportunity, let’s not ignore the instances where he was…

He does not based on the stats I’m looking at right now.

He leads all forwards, and only trails Weegar.. my bad. 3.78/points per 60.

I fail to see how that's now considered a bad thing.

Ya you’re right, we’re really gonna miss him. Great PP and ES numbers. He basically carries our PP. Definitely deserved a bigger role.

Again where did I say any of the such?

He's not a 4th liner, and stinks in that role, I agree.

Reactions: joescores

User1996

Jun 24, 2020

I mean, that means he has 5 even strength points in his last 55 GP. Just not a big loss, he’s been rightfully replaced in the top 9.

Again, maybe a bit of asset mismanagement from Conny given that he could’ve been given some top 9 minutes at C after a Lindholm trade, but I’m not losing any sleep over not having him on the roster anymore.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I hope he figures it out and gets put into a decent scoring role when he's in the line-up in Arizona; but it's hard to commit a top 9 roster spot to him when other youngsters like Pospisil, Zary, Coronato, and Pelletier are pushing much harder.

The potential is still there for a 50point NHL player but it's unlikely it gets realized without a lot of help and something changing within Adam.

Reactions: Fig

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Just a lazy player, lack of hustle, waste of size

Unless that changes, no big loss. Going to be like Jankowski or Colborne. May have a couple big moments but eventually will sleep his way to Europe or something

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
To me, Ruzicka's frame and speed is most similar to Huberdeau. I think it speaks to the Flames inability to coach and properly slot this profile of player that this was the final outcome for Ruzicka here

Everyone in the Flames org knows how talented he is. It should have worked out here

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013

Again where did I say any of the such?

He's not a 4th liner, and stinks in that role, I agree.
So what is he? A 3rd liner?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
To me, Ruzicka's frame and speed is most similar to Huberdeau. I think it speaks to the Flames inability to coach and properly slot this profile of player that this was the final outcome for Ruzicka here

Everyone in the Flames org knows how talented he is. It should have worked out here

It's hard to teach GAF.
At my work, there was a dude my age that was essentially in line with me in terms of seniority. He was much smarter than me, held an M. Sc in Biochemistry, held an MBA, had similar experience to me. The dude could not be pushed (and everyone tried) to pick up a phone, go on a trip, do actual 'work'. Much more talented than I am, yet I received the big boy title, pay and reports. GAF wasn't there.

That's Adam, unfortunately.

Arizona seems like a good place to go for him. No one really cares about what goes on out there anyway.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I don’t think losing him or desimone is a big deal or anything but I swear this team loses more guys for nothing than any other franchise

Like they probably didn’t have much value around the league but enough to get claimed.

Or maybe the team doesn’t look at other teams rosters enough to realize when they’re going to lose a guy when they waive him

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
It's hard to teach GAF.
At my work, there was a dude my age that was essentially in line with me in terms of seniority. He was much smarter than me, held an M. Sc in Biochemistry, held an MBA, had similar experience to me. The dude could not be pushed (and everyone tried) to pick up a phone, go on a trip, do actual 'work'. Much more talented than I am, yet I received the big boy title, pay and reports. GAF wasn't there.

That's Adam, unfortunately.

Arizona seems like a good place to go for him. No one really cares about what goes on out there anyway.
I think Ruzicka's work ethic should rightfully be questioned. But before he got his brain scrambled against the Rangers, he was playing very good hockey for us at a time when most of our forwards were drowning. I don't buy that his recent stretch of play is him resting on laurels from earlier in the year.

Even still, Huberdeau's point totals plummeting since coming here is a sign that we don't really know what to do with these slow-paced taller forwards who have a lot of raw talent. That guy is definitely busting his ass.

I just hope this is a sign to Conroy that we need fleet-footed centres on this team. More Zarys, less Monahans moving forward.

Reactions: Pomee

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
So what is he? A 3rd liner?
Who knows.

He produced at a top six rate when given the minutes to do so. I think a larger opportunity was warranted.

He played just 15 games over the past two years combined with over 14 minutes of ice time. He scored 12 points in those games.

He played 29 games with 12 ore more minutes in a game and recorded 19 points.

He played 35 games with under 10 minutes of icetime and registered 1 point.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Who knows.

He produced at a top six rate when given the minutes to do so. I think a larger opportunity was warranted.

He played just 15 games over the past two years combined with over 14 minutes of ice time. He scored 12 points in those games.

He played 29 games with 12 ore more minutes in a game and recorded 19 points.

He played 35 games with under 10 minutes of icetime and registered 1 point.
Fair, those are some good numbers. I still don’t think he has top-6 speed or skill though and isn’t really suited for a 4th line role. Could he find a home as an okay third line C/W on a team like Arizona? Potentially, but he’s nothing too special and easily replaceable. I don’t think he deserved a bigger chance based on his play this year and I don’t fault Huska at all for how he’s handled the lines this year. Players are being held accountable for good or bad performance imo

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Fair, those are some good numbers. I still don’t think he has top-6 speed or skill though and isn’t really suited for a 4th line role. Could he find a home as an okay third line C/W on a team like Arizona? Potentially, but he’s nothing too special and easily replaceable. I don’t think he deserved a bigger chance based on his play this year and I don’t fault Huska at all for how he’s handled the lines this year. Players are being held accountable for good or bad performance imo

I don't necessarily blame Huska. He's not going to play Ruzicka ahead of the big three centers here, I just wish he didn't pigeonhole him as the 4c, but we really lacked options for that role.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Would I be a fanboy if I said Huberdeau has been our best PP player for a good bit now?

Edit: wrong thread lmao.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don’t think losing him or desimone is a big deal or anything but I swear this team loses more guys for nothing than any other franchise

Like they probably didn’t have much value around the league but enough to get claimed.

Or maybe the team doesn’t look at other teams rosters enough to realize when they’re going to lose a guy when they waive him

Because we're doing a decent job developing getting guys graduated. That's a good problem to have. Lower round guys pulling of a decent amount of games for their career. If you try and money ball drafting in the NHL, GP > ceiling after the later rounds. If we keep this up, in the long term, it gives us more trade value as other GMs might be more willing to gamble draft capital on our extra guys.

Dudes like Hathaway, Lomberg, Phillips(?), Byron having solid continuation to their careers as young guys in a Flames logjam that other teams took notice. Adding DeSimone and Ruzicka now. Honestly I do wish all of these dudes the best.

Even higher picks like Jankowski and Valimaki (injuries) are steadily getting GP.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
The thing is, even in juniors his draft year, there was always a big question mark on his work ethic and consistency. It's a shame he didn't work out for us.

But compare him to Pospisil for example. Ruz was expected to be a middle 6 offensive forward, Posp was expected to be more of a "12/13th forward who would get time on the 4th line and AHL most seasons". Posp comes up, and works his ass off every game. Ruz works his ass off for a few games, and then spends a stretch of games seemingly just "phoning it in" before popping off again for a few more games. Ruz is far more talented, and absolutely has the higher ceiling. But Posp's drive is going to (short of injuries cutting it short) keep him in the NHL long term.

Reactions: Fig

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Don't know how we didn't at least get a pick for him....

He sucks how are we getting a pick for him?

Lucky that someone claimed him off waivers, he will likely be there again before the easeon is over.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
I hope he figures it out and gets put into a decent scoring role when he's in the line-up in Arizona; but it's hard to commit a top 9 roster spot to him when other youngsters like Pospisil, Zary, Coronato, and Pelletier are pushing much harder.

The potential is still there for a 50point NHL player but it's unlikely it gets realized without a lot of help and something changing within Adam.

50 point player? In what universe?

He is 24 and never scored close to 50 points in the AHL or NHL. There is nothing in his past and especially his professional career to suggest he could get close to 50 points.

50 points if he played a full AHL season would be a miracle for him.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
50 point player? In what universe?

He is 24 and never scored close to 50 points in the AHL or NHL. There is nothing in his past and especially his professional career to suggest he could get close to 50 points.

50 points if he played a full AHL season would be a miracle for him.

He had 20 pts in 44 last season. It could be achieved under correct guidance, environment, timelines.

Reactions: Felidae and Pomee

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
He had 20 pts in 44 last season. It could be achieved under correct guidance, environment, timelines.

20 points isn't impressive and if you watched the games you saw how little impact he actually had in creating those points, he did a good job of collecting stats on plays he had very little to do with.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
20 points isn't impressive and if you watched the games you saw how little impact he actually had in creating those points, he did a good job of collecting stats on plays he had very little to do with.

Stop with your controversial nonsense 9/10.

He actually collected 20 points in the stretch of 25 games last season with a higher ice time and exact types of players that complimented his game. Then he had a game or 2 where he had a bad moment and got punished by that saggy tool.

I can see him blossom in Phoenix under the right circumstances.

If the fans are demanding to help Huberdeau to get him going, why couldn't we do the same for Adam is my question?

Reactions: FLAMESFAN and Pomee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad