Player Discussion: Adam Pelech

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Great game tonight from Pelech
Has improve leaps since October ,,,
Between him, Toews, Pulock and Mayfield, the Islanders have a young core of defensemen in the NHL. Toews and Pulock both have top pairing upside and Mayfield and Pelech can both step into spot duty in the top-4, but are excellent 5-6 defensemen with room to improve. Leddy is young too, and add in Bode Wilde and Dobson in a few years, not even to mention Aho?

Future on D looks pretty good from my point of view

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Between him, Toews, Pulock and Mayfield, the Islanders have a young core of defensemen in the NHL. Toews and Pulock both have top pairing upside and Mayfield and Pelech can both step into spot duty in the top-4, but are excellent 5-6 defensemen with room to improve. Leddy is young too, and add in Bode Wilde and Dobson in a few years, not even to mention Aho?

Future on D looks pretty good from my point of view
Van de Sompel and Wotherspoon will also be NHLers in my opinion. We also drafted Robin Salo in 2nd round two years ago I don’t know how they view him but that is high pick.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The best thing about our D pipeline is that we have great depth of RHD, which is kinda rare. Looking long term and therefore leaving Boychuk aside, we've got Pulock and Mayfield as younger guys in the NHL, and then Dobson and Wilde in juniors. That's pretty good.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
The best thing about our D pipeline is that we have great depth of RHD, which is kinda rare. Looking long term and therefore leaving Boychuk aside, we've got Pulock and Mayfield as younger guys in the NHL, and then Dobson and Wilde in juniors. That's pretty good.

It's outstanding, not pretty good. If you're going to have a surplus, I'd much rather have it on RHD. They are much more valuable and harder to find than LHD.

Reactions: doublechili

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
What I like about Mayfield is he's so good at getting pucks to the net rarely does his shot get blocked, his decision making is greatly improved.
Many were quick to criticize Pelech, Mayfield hell even Pollock early on but as frequently stated defenseman take time as per Denny Potvin.
We now boast a very good core of young D-men at a reasonable cost and a steady flow of talent on the way. We are seeing what good coaching is capable of and the emergence of Pelech
as a steady defender is proof that the previous regime was clueless when it came to coaching candidates. Looking at BT in his press conferences and the confidence he projects you know his players feed off that. His effect on the d-core has been nothing but amazing and guys like Pelech are proving their worth.

Reactions: bigtim1988

crasherino

May 9, 2013
If you knew me better in real life, you'd know that me saying something is "pretty good" is a higher compliment than saying it's "outstanding". :laugh:
Hmmm....I dunno - if your wife/girlfriend/non-gendered specific partner asked you for a critique and you said “that was pretty good” the response would be “phew - I was afraid you’d say ‘outstanding’”? :dunno:

Reactions: TROLLCHUK

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Hmmm....I dunno - if your wife/girlfriend/non-gendered specific partner asked you for a critique and you said “that was pretty good” the response would be “phew - I was afraid you’d say ‘outstanding’”? :dunno:
My wife knows that "pretty good" is my highest compliment, but I'm smart enough to know not to use it in certain circumstances. ;)

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Definite improvement...and that makes me happy.

I still take Boychuk, Pulock, Toews, and Mayfield over him but he has been really solid. Leddy is a problem right now and Hickey is a non factor.
I thought Hickey was fine last night. He was part of a pretty good defensive effort. Some might even say outstanding.

I'm not suggesting he's a long term stalwart on our blue line, but for now - if we can lose the heart and soul of D for the short term and plug in Hickey and still get the same (perhaps one of our best) defensive efforts overall, that's a net positive.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
His best play was always after a scratch but this time he hasn’t let up
More than anything, it seemed like the game simply needed to slow down for him, which usually comes with time, experience and confidence.

Lately, it seems like it has. He's come a long way this season from the guy who passes puck while standing in the crease with an empty net to the rock solid defender who is also stepping up offensively when the time is right.

It may have taken a little longer than expected/hoped, but he's coming in to his own right now. That's a very good thing for us - short term and long.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Definite improvement...and that makes me happy.

I still take Boychuk, Pulock, Toews, and Mayfield over him but he has been really solid. Leddy is a problem right now and Hickey is a non factor.

Leddy blows, i hope Lou moves him this offseason Addition by subtraction. Let Aho/Dobson fight it out for that last spot.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
I love all the hate Hickey, Leddy and Pelech get. The Islanders are #1 in goals against and it is a team effort. We are doing it without a true #1 Dman which means everyone has to contribute(NO defense-men in the NHL is perfect and it is impossible to find a Dman without some type of flaw to his game). Guys wanting to bring up Dobson, Aho, Wilde? They are complete unknowns at the NHL level at this point. So yeah let's break up the #1 D team in the league? Careful what you wish for....

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
More than anything, it seemed like the game simply needed to slow down for him, which usually comes with time, experience and confidence.

Lately, it seems like it has. He's come a long way this season from the guy who passes puck while standing in the crease with an empty net to the rock solid defender who is also stepping up offensively when the time is right.

It may have taken a little longer than expected/hoped, but he's coming in to his own right now. That's a very good thing for us - short term and long.

Very impressed with Pelech, completely agree that the game has slowed down for him... like it has for Pulock and Mayfield too this year.

Pelech has good size, skates well, and is signed cheap with RFA status when his current contract is up. 4 homegrown kids all impressing with more kids on the way. Love the Trotz effect.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

Agree with your post, but would also add that an actual effective system is also a factor. Playing within a simple but well designed system makes decisions so much easier as the point of the system is that if you follow it the right things will happen; it makes things easier to predict and reduces what you have to consider when making a decision. Capuano's system was overly complex which forced the dmen to have to quickly choose from too many possible options, whereas Weight's system of just go out there and make good decisions gave no guidance to the Dmen and created chaos. This is especially problematic for young defensemen, and I think it should be no surprise that all three of the young Dmen have taken huge steps forward this season and are showing much improved decision making.

Reactions: dood and PWJunior

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
Very impressed with Pelech, completely agree that the game has slowed down for him... like it has for Pulock and Mayfield too this year.

Pelech has good size, skates well, and is signed cheap with RFA status when his current contract is up. 4 homegrown kids all impressing with more kids on the way. Love the Trotz effect.
It wasn't that long ago where people on this list were overreacting by saying that his contract sucked and he sucked.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
I've learned to reserve judgement for defensemen. It's easy to get too excited about them after some early success (Andrew MacDonald, Bruno Gervais) and even easier to get down when someone struggles early (Mayfield, Pelech).

The developmental path for players becoming reliable defensemen in the NHL seems to wayy different than nearly any other position.

Reactions: dood and frankieboy

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
I've mentioned this before, but look at Pelech's juniors stats. He improved every year until by his last year he was an offensive defenseman. The guy has a track record of steady improvement.

2013-14ErieOHL609455452
CanadaWJC70111
2012-13ErieOHL5983240-16
2011-12ErieOHL4421820-20
2010-11ErieOHL651121314
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
As I have always said, in this very thread I’m sure... Pelech shows a lot of raw ability and has less than 300 games experience.

So why would anyone write him off?

Scratch that! Why would anyone write him off without at least giving him one year with better than incompetent coaching?

Doesn’t seem too much to ask for with a young player not breaking the cap or bank?

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

You ever get the feeling Barry Trotz is akin to a horse whisperer?

When you look at the type of defensmen he has developed and the success he has had...

As someone else said, he and his words go a long way in giving a player confidence.

When he says... “If you can do A, B and C; you’ll earn top 3 minutes for the next 10 years...”

A player must feel like he was just given a cheat code to success.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
When you look at the type of defensmen he has developed and the success he has had...

As someone else said, he and his words go a long way in giving a player confidence.

When he says... “If you can do A, B and C; you’ll earn top 3 minutes for the next 10 years...”

A player must feel like he was just given a cheat code to success.

Here's the real reason Trotz is successful. He tells them to do those things, and then the player actually sees the desired result. Creates a lot of trust and confidence in the team and individual's play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad