Player Discussion: Adam Pelech

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
ok so the season is winding down. we know the D stinks overall . but how would you all rate Pelech's season?

he was protected in the expansion draft and he pretty much was the replacement for Hammer.

He's pretty good, will get better, was pushed in way over his head this year, if Toews is good and the Isles get a top 4 dman via UFA or trade and a good coach, we would be fine with

Leddy/Acquired player
Pelech/Boychuk
Toews/Pulock

7th - Mayfield

That would be a sold NHL defense if coached correctly

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
He's pretty good, will get better, was pushed in way over his head this year, if Toews is good and the Isles get a top 4 dman via UFA or trade and a good coach, we would be fine with

Leddy/Acquired player
Pelech/Boychuk
Toews/Pulock

7th - Mayfield

That would be a sold NHL defense if coached correctly
IDK about that. Is Pelech a 2nd pairing player? And Toews has upside, but handing him a top 6 position at this point....

I'd commit to saying the following is a solid NHL defense:

Acquired player/Acquired player
Leddy/Boychuk
Pelech/Pulock

Toews/Mayfield

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
IDK about that. Is Pelech a 2nd pairing player? And Toews has upside, but handing him a top 6 position at this point....

I'd commit to saying the following is a solid NHL defense:

Acquired player/Acquired player
Leddy/Boychuk
Pelech/Pulock

Toews/Mayfield

I think Pelech needs a vet to play with him and Boychuk is that guy

Leddy is a top pair guy, needs a durable guy with him, Boychuk gets hurt too much

Toews sounds like a guy who is ready,

We will not get 2 players in the offseason, we will be lucky to get one guy and that one guy is probably another team's 7th man

With good coaches we should be fine on D, the issue this year is the bozo patrol behind the bench

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

Leddy is a top pair guy, needs a durable guy with him, Boychuk gets hurt too much

We will not get 2 players in the offseason, we will be lucky to get one guy and that one guy is probably another team's 7th man

With good coaches we should be fine on D, the issue this year is the bozo patrol behind the bench
You might be right, but I'd be very leery of going into the season with the D you proposed. Now if they can get a minute-eating, legit #1 star defenseman, I'd be more inclined to roll the dice a bit further down the D depth chart.

I do agree that a new coaching staff alone will help the team defense. I mean, it can't be worse, right?

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011

LOL here we go again. I laugh so hard every time I read someone write this. Leddy is not a top pair guy and its not even close. You have to keep making excuses for his play...not a top guy.

Reactions: TommytheCat

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
LOL here we go again. I laugh so hard every time I read someone write this. Leddy is not a top pair guy and its not even close. You have to keep making excuses for his play...not a top guy.

You put him with Hjalmarsson he can be a #1 guy, needs to be with a shutdown guy, he is overused this season and had to be paired with some odd players

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
You might be right, but I'd be very leery of going into the season with the D you proposed. Now if they can get a minute-eating, legit #1 star defenseman, I'd be more inclined to roll the dice a bit further down the D depth chart.

I do agree that a new coaching staff alone will help the team defense. I mean, it can't be worse, right?

I can exhume Al Arbour's corpse and prop it up on the bench and his last stare will make players more accountable than Weight

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
He's pretty good, will get better, was pushed in way over his head this year

Pretty good? I think he clearly regressed from what promise he showed last year. A turnover machine. I don’t know if that’s a result of coaching, the system he’s being asked to play or if it’s on him. The promise he showed last year I just don’t see this year. At this point he looks like a bottom pairing guy. And this team has that in surplus.

Reactions: seafoam

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Pelech is way too slow, has no agility and cannot turn/pivot against NHL players. He plays too many minutes. He's got potential as a bottom pairing but sadly, he's probably a bit better than Mayfield and a bit worse than Pulock - but all three are terrible defensively.

Isles defense is crazy bad and all are overmatched.

Reactions: 12Dog

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Place Pelech on waivers ASAP. This guy is GAHHHBAGE!

Garbage? I’m no Pelech fan, but he’s not garbage. He needs to play less. The more you play him, the more prone to mistakes he is. He’s pretty good positionally, has an active/rangey stick, and can provide some offense. He should be playing 13-14 mins a night though as a 6th D.

Reactions: dood

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
He started off alright (better than Hamonic!)...but has gradually gotten worse and worse as the season has gone on.

Has been a flat out liability as of late and was just terrible tonight.

Not sure why Snow signed him for 5yrs. Actually nevermind...I know exactly why.
I'll take Pelech and DeHaan over Hickey any day.

Reactions: dood

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Pelech is not garbage. I think if he gets dealt the return should be a third rd pick at least.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Garbage? I’m no Pelech fan, but he’s not garbage. He needs to play less. The more you play him, the more prone to mistakes he is. He’s pretty good positionally, has an active/rangey stick, and can provide some offense. He should be playing 13-14 mins a night though as a 6th D.

Sounds like Andrew MacDonald

The "he needs to play less" thing makes zero sense. Sounds like we need to keep this guy off the ice so he makes less mistakes? You can say that about any bad NHL defensemen. Regardless of Pelech's TOI, he seems to struggle mightily with decision making and is a liability more often than not.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I still have hope for the guy and obviously don't think he's garbage but the game hasn't quite slowed down for him like it should have by now. He still seems to be a little panicky and doesn't make the instictual play. You can see that he has the ability in him to be a solid two way d-man but it hasn't quite developed like we were all hoping it would. At least not to the point where he's a no questions asked #4 D-man.

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
I vomit everytime Pelech is on the ice. He is the worst dman on the team. He is worse than Hickey and I am not a big Hickey fan anyway.

Reactions: MJF

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Sounds like Andrew MacDonald

The "he needs to play less" thing makes zero sense. Sounds like we need to keep this guy off the ice so he makes less mistakes? You can say that about any bad NHL defensemen. Regardless of Pelech's TOI, he seems to struggle mightily with decision making and is a liability more often than not.

He’s not garbage though. What I meant is that he gets overplayed. Simple as that. He’s fine as a number 6, playing limited minutes.

badi

Jan 21, 2008
Just checking in on what you guys think of his progression ?
Seems like he has improve under this great coaching staff

Reactions: Keyserfrans

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Just checking in on what you guys think of his progression ?
Seems like he has improve under this great coaching staff

Yes, he's doing fine.

Definitely upped the ante this year and has, or is at lest clearly moving towards, completely replacing de Haan, but with more physical durability.

Already has the stats you'd get from de Haan as well.

Just as importantly is that we're seeing that Toews can truly be an option for replacing Leddy. And for all those neigh-sayers out there, the Isles handled Toews PERFECTLY this season. That's how you foster a guy to be all he can be.

Isle1966

Nov 18, 2003
Reading some past posts on this thread, a lot of people were fooled by what bad coaching and a bad system can do to the d-men on a team. Also funny is how Leddy has fallen from what they believed him to be and DT RP SM are miles ahead of what they thought we had with good coaching and a good system. Plus Pelech beats out Hickey for ice time.

badi

Jan 21, 2008
Great game tonight from Pelech
Has improve leaps since October ,,,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad