Player Discussion: Adam Pelech

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I was a big Hamonic fan but frankly speaking I would take Mayfield's play this year over what we got out of Hamonic last year. Mayfield is obviously much slower but he plays a smarter physical game than Hamonic. Hamonic was definitely tough but would take stupid penalties and was sometimes too physical for his own good. When Mayfield wants you out of the way you will definitely know it but I feel like his game is more under control. Oh, and he doesn't needlessly rush the puck:laugh:!

Funny, I think Mayfield is closer to a Hamonic replacement, while I feel that Pelech is the reason de Haan wasn't extended long term.

I think the defense could look really interesting next year...

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I was a big Hamonic fan but frankly speaking I would take Mayfield's play this year over what we got out of Hamonic last year. Mayfield is obviously much slower but he plays a smarter physical game than Hamonic. Hamonic was definitely tough but would take stupid penalties and was sometimes too physical for his own good. When Mayfield wants you out of the way you will definitely know it but I feel like his game is more under control. Oh, and he doesn't needlessly rush the puck:laugh:!

Is Mayfield really much slower?

Duanesutter12

Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
It's a fair question because Hamonic wasn't exactly Michelle Kwan in hockey skates but I do think Mayfield is slower. I haven't seen him get toasted yet this year but my pulse definitely picks up when I see the puck trickle out to the blue line! Overall Mayfield has been much better than I thought he would be. Really impressed with him and Pelech!

Is Mayfield really much slower?

Reactions: dood

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Hamonic was safer, smarter w the puck. He was also much better at pinning guys along the boards. For me Hammer is and will be the superior player.

The Pelech comparison is more about their d awareness, ability to read the play and assess the smartest decision to make. Pelech obviously lacks Hanmers grit.

Duanesutter12

Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I get your point but you're talking about 2013 Travis Hamonic, not 2017. He definitely wasn't the same guy that drove Malkin nuts with physical play. I think Hamonic is definitely the more talented of the two but in terms of last year and this year there really is not much difference between their play.

Hamonic was safer, smarter w the puck. He was also much better at pinning guys along the boards. For me Hammer is and will be the superior player.

The Pelech comparison is more about their d awareness, ability to read the play and assess the smartest decision to make. Pelech obviously lacks Hanmers grit.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It's a fair question because Hamonic wasn't exactly Michelle Kwan in hockey skates but I do think Mayfield is slower. I haven't seen him get toasted yet this year but my pulse definitely picks up when I see the puck trickle out to the blue line! Overall Mayfield has been much better than I thought he would be. Really impressed with him and Pelech!

I think Mayfield takes longer strides because he's a good three inches taller. Regardless, I'm really happy with Mayfield.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

That was Hamonic during his best years, but we didn't see that Hamonic any time after that trade request leaked in my opinion.

And pay attention to Mayfield the next time he pins a guy to the boards. Usually I lose sight of whoever he is pinning...he's that big

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I get your point but you're talking about 2013 Travis Hamonic, not 2017. He definitely wasn't the same guy that drove Malkin nuts with physical play. I think Hamonic is definitely the more talented of the two but in terms of last year and this year there really is not much difference between their play.

Last year's version, I'll give you. But that's not the true Hammer. Actually, Mayfield and Pelech combined have filled his void adequately--Mayfield with the physicality, and Pelech with the awareness and smarts.

Oh don't get me wrong seafoam, I like Mayfield's board play, just think Hammer was better. Mayfield is a better open ice hitter though. My only concern for Mayfield is his awareness and IQ; that's not something that can be completely fixed.

Reactions: BTrotts19

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

I think Pelech has a chance to be the better player (not there yet). He is showing more offensive instincts than Hammer does. Hammer looks so lost in the offensive zone and in transition. He would rush the puck up the ice and it seemed like he was never in sync with his forwards. He'd just get to the corner and be stuck and often just go skate it around the net.

Pelech has shown a bit better instincts. He's had a number of primary assists on JT's tip in goals that showed some heady plays. As he develops his defensive game, I think he can become a very solid top 4 dman (or maybe more), which is what Hamonic borderline is. They often say it takes defenseman 200 games in the NHL and right now Pelech's only at 66 and looks pretty damn solid. Not amazing, just solid.

I'm not saying he's better yet or definitely will be better, but he definitely looks like a diamond in the rough. I would not be surprised to call him our all around best defenseman sooner than later.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
The nice thing about Pelech, other than his play is that he makes $1.6m for the next 4 years and will still be an RFA. He's not quite as good as Travis, but at 1/2 the cost with a good potential of improving even more? That is really going to help the Islanders cap structure when it comes time to sign all the young forwards on top of giving JT upwards of 10-12m.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I think Pelech has a chance to be the better player (not there yet). He is showing more offensive instincts than Hammer does. Hammer looks so lost in the offensive zone and in transition. He would rush the puck up the ice and it seemed like he was never in sync with his forwards. He'd just get to the corner and be stuck and often just go skate it around the net.

Pelech has shown a bit better instincts. He's had a number of primary assists on JT's tip in goals that showed some heady plays. As he develops his defensive game, I think he can become a very solid top 4 dman (or maybe more), which is what Hamonic borderline is. They often say it takes defenseman 200 games in the NHL and right now Pelech's only at 66 and looks pretty damn solid. Not amazing, just solid.

I'm not saying he's better yet or definitely will be better, but he definitely looks like a diamond in the rough. I would not be surprised to call him our all around best defenseman sooner than later.

Yup. Good point. His awareness is strong in the O zone. Soft, deft passes.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
The nice thing about Pelech, other than his play is that he makes $1.6m for the next 4 years and will still be an RFA. He's not quite as good as Travis, but at 1/2 the cost with a good potential of improving even more? That is really going to help the Islanders cap structure when it comes time to sign all the young forwards on top of giving JT upwards of 10-12m.

yes, crafty signing by Snow. The upside is worth inking Pelech to his contract. Reminds me of the Franz deal years ago. Personally I think Dehaan will be traded in the spring and Snow does his magick trick and sign one of our guys albeit Mayfield or whomever to a 4 year deal. If we can somehow have a goalie step up on a regular basis the need for this #1 D wont sting as well. Can we pluck Cam Ward for assets? Would be interesting if so. I know he is past his prime but maybe can stabilize the position for a stop gap year until the kids are ready to compete for a job or Snow finds another alternative..... let's see how things unfold

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I've read a few different posters mention Cam Ward and I don't understand it. He's worse than both Greiss and Halak, why does anyone want him?

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Interestingly enough there was a couple of links today from Lighthouse hockey indicating that Calgary was none too thrilled with the early returns on Hamonic.....

This one's a subscription but the first two paragraphs tell you all you need to know....
Dellow: Early returns on Travis Hamonic deal don't look good...

I read that article and some initial reactions from Flames fans. They seem to think it was a bit premature and they want to give Hammer time to adjust to a new system. A big part of why they brought him in was to help Brodie bounce back as well, which he has. In some ways they are marginally happy, though they feel they gave up too much. I think it's still too early to see how Hamonic gels there.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Did not see the offensive side of his game but he has played 20 games and now has 10 points, had 2 beautiful outlet passes that led to goals last night.... he may look older than Jagr, but he does the job

Duanesutter12

Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Offensively speaking I think you hit the nail on the head regarding the outlet passes. That's the thing that stands out. His puck gets through and is very crisp. You're all going to laugh but that was the one thing about Reinhart that I thought he did really well despite being completely lost out there:laugh:. Pelech's outlet pass kind of reminds me of Reinhart's.

Did not see the offensive side of his game but he has played 20 games and now has 10 points, had 2 beautiful outlet passes that led to goals last night.... he may look older than Jagr, but he does the job

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
8-4-1 with him in the lineup.

14-5-1 with him in the lineup, although it may just be coincidence.

He just seems to be developing into a really solid defenseman, and you have to 'hit' guys like him to be successful in my opinion.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Re: Hamonic, it was interesting to see a quote in a recent Leddy article saying that Hamonic's tendency to rush with the puck caused Leddy to lay back and play more conservatively, and now Leddy is taking the lead and joining the offense more. As much as I liked Hamonic, maybe there were some hockey sense issues there, especially considering the generally lackluster results of his offensive forays. To quote Dirty Harry, "a man's got to know his limitations".

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Re: Hamonic, it was interesting to see a quote in a recent Leddy article saying that Hamonic's tendency to rush with the puck caused Leddy to lay back and play more conservatively, and now Leddy is taking the lead and joining the offense more. As much as I liked Hamonic, maybe there were some hockey sense issues there, especially considering the generally lackluster results of his offensive forays. To quote Dirty Harry, "a man's got to know his limitations".

Could just be that the two players didn't compliment one another.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i think this guy is playing great. he reads the play well, and seems to be adept at both ends of the ice. uses his size well, and skates decent. makes mistakes like they all do, but overall, especially salary considered, i am thrilled with him.

Adam Pelech is playing like the best defensive-defenceman on the team right now.. Really thrilled with his poise.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Not to shit on Travis, but Pelech has been much better than Hamonic...

He does exactly what this D-core needs, keep things simple...

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

MattyW

Jul 28, 2005
Strong Island
To hell with the lot of you who have filled the trade board in recent times with pro-Pelech propaganda. This guy is a tire fire in his own end and soft as a kleenex. Let's give him another extension!!

Reactions: 12Dog

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Still like his offensive awareness. Think there’s upside there. But in his own zone when playing heavy mins I see turnovers, errant passes, soft play, and standing around.

He’s not smart, strong, or aggressive enough. Doesn’t have that active stick that gets in shooting lanes, passing lanes. Doesn’t close off on the boards. Loses coverage. He (so far) is a poor d man.

Reactions: 12Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad