Player Discussion: Adam Pelech

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
He started off alright (better than Hamonic!)...but has gradually gotten worse and worse as the season has gone on.

Has been a flat out liability as of late and was just terrible tonight.

Not sure why Snow signed him for 5yrs. Actually nevermind...I know exactly why.

Reactions: Elevine13 and C24

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
He started off alright (better than Hamonic!)...but has gradually gotten worse and worse as the season has gone on.

Has been a flat out liability as of late and was just terrible tonight.

Not sure why Snow signed him for 5yrs. Actually nevermind...I know exactly why.

Why?
Please enlighten me. I’m still trying to figure out the whole protecting him in the expansion draft thing. Pelech is a mediocre bottom pairing at best defenseman who has regressed.
Like Mayfield I don’t see the need to lock guys like this up to long term deals. They are a dime a dozen.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Cuz our GM is a dope!

You mean the genius who drafted Pelech in the all defenseman draft that suppose to cure the teams defensive needs for a decade? The guy who is revolutionizing the game?
Does he honestly wonder why people sh*t on him?

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012
Since 2011 draft we have made 47 picks. 23 of those picks were D men. This guy is the best of the bunch as of now and the only one with 100 games to date. Would have been nice if the slot machine came up jackpot for us with one of these picks to where the guy was a steal in the draft and matured quickly or was a first rounder that was almost ready for prime time. Maybe it winds up being Aho who never looks back. Toews we may never know.
SMG LGI

Reactions: C24

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
This guy has had to take on way too much this season, he was paired with Aho the last game as the vet in the pairing, that is because Garth Blow doesn't trade for a vet dman

This.

Pelech is a great young #4 Dman in the making and can easily be what we've come to like about de Haan.

He's in his FIRST full NHL season.

And he's been overwhelmed and played with every guy on the bluline. He has cracked under the pressure and has made his fair share of mistakes, especially over the last 35 games.

But he's a keeper and a kid who is going to profit from all the experience he's getting this year and I'd be willing to bet that the guys in the locker room see it as such too.

My experience with him: He knows what he can do and is on the brink of being downright cocky. When he fails, he looks to right what he's done wrong. He's gonna be a goodin' when he's truly matured.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Since 2011 draft we have made 47 picks. 23 of those picks were D men. This guy is the best of the bunch as of now and the only one with 100 games to date. Would have been nice if the slot machine came up jackpot for us with one of these picks to where the guy was a steal in the draft and matured quickly or was a first rounder that was almost ready for prime time. Maybe it winds up being Aho who never looks back. Toews we may never know.
SMG LGI

ONE for 23 with 100 NHL games is pretty damn bad. And remember we all thought Pokka was going to be great and he can't stay in the lineup for Chicago, which is struggling on D like us.

2011 - Mayfield, Pedan, Russo, Kighton
2012 - Reinhart, Pokka, Pelech, Leduc, Somerby, Graham, Bischoff
2013 - Pulock, Burroughs
2014 - Toews
2015 - Vande Sompel, Wotherspoon, Pilon, Song, Hansson
2016 - Quenneville
2017 - Aho, Salo, Mirageas

Too be fair, there's some pretty darn good prospects there. Pulock, Pelech, Toews, Quenneville, Aho all seem sure to play decently long careers

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
ONE for 23 with 100 NHL games is pretty damn bad. And remember we all thought Pokka was going to be great and he can't stay in the lineup for Chicago, which is struggling on D like us.

2011 - Mayfield, Pedan, Russo, Kighton
2012 - Reinhart, Pokka, Pelech, Leduc, Somerby, Graham, Bischoff
2013 - Pulock, Burroughs
2014 - Toews
2015 - Vande Sompel, Wotherspoon, Pilon, Song, Hansson
2016 - Quenneville
2017 - Aho, Salo, Mirageas

Too be fair, there's some pretty darn good prospects there. Pulock, Pelech, Toews, Quenneville, Aho all seem sure to play decently long careers

Quite frankly, that list of defensemen drafted by Snow is embarrassing. Especially considering some of the dmen that have been drafted by other teams over that same span. We will hold off on the last two years for now, but before that there is not a single one, NOT ONE, top pairing level dman in that group over a span of 5 years. There might be one middle pairing dman and one bottom pairing, but the rest are not even NHL extras. Snow must go!!!!!!!

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I have a lot higher hopes for Toews than you do. He'd already be established on this team in DeHaan's slot if he hadn't gotten hurt. This kid is the real deal.

Also, to be fair, only one of those 23 were a Top 10 pick. While I agree about the players selected later by other teams there's an element of good fortune that goes into a Top pair defender taken later. A lot of the #1's and 2's in the past are Top 10 picks.

That 2011 draft was AWFUL overall for defense, only Hamilton turned out to be a true stud

2012 was very hit and miss in the 1st round . . . some really good pieces and some really big whiffs in the 1st round

NO defender drafted after Pulock in 2013 has done better in their NHL career yet . . . something to maybe keep in mind

2014 is basically Ekblad . . . no one else has really stood out yet

We've whiffed some but when you look around the league there's a reason the league's veterans are still around . . . not a lot of top pair defenders have been drafted at ANY TIME by ANYONE the last 7 years.

Reactions: dood

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I have a lot higher hopes for Toews than you do. He'd already be established on this team in DeHaan's slot if he hadn't gotten hurt. This kid is the real deal.

Also, to be fair, only one of those 23 were a Top 10 pick. While I agree about the players selected later by other teams there's an element of good fortune that goes into a Top pair defender taken later. A lot of the #1's and 2's in the past are Top 10 picks.

That 2011 draft was AWFUL overall for defense, only Hamilton turned out to be a true stud

2012 was very hit and miss in the 1st round . . . some really good pieces and some really big whiffs in the 1st round

NO defender drafted after Pulock in 2013 has done better in their NHL career yet . . . something to maybe keep in mind

2014 is basically Ekblad . . . no one else has really stood out yet

We've whiffed some but when you look around the league there's a reason the league's veterans are still around . . . not a lot of top pair defenders have been drafted at ANY TIME by ANYONE the last 7 years.

Your post lacks all credibility. First of all, in 2011, you dont think Oscar Klefbom and Jonas Brodin are better than any defenseman Snow has drafted.
Second, you chalk up a year where Snow again missed on dmen to it was very hit and miss. This is the kind of excuse making Snow relies on. So either it was a bad draft or if he missed out on good dmen it was because it was hit or miss, so in other words it is never his fault?
In 2012 we picked Griffin Reinhart, one of the biggest busts of all time, ONE SPOT before Morgan Reilly, two spots before Hampus Lindholm, three spots before Matt Dumba, and five spots before Jacob Trouba. This is not a case of striking gold with dmen like these in the second round, third round, etc. This was basically four of the next five teams IMMEDIATELY picking after Snow picked top pairing defensemen and Snow picked a huge bust...but you want to chalk that up to it being "hit and miss." Come on man.

Reactions: 12Dog

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He's way in over his head (which is not his fault, and it's making him look worse), but he can still be a top four defenseman.

Reactions: Seph

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Your post lacks all credibility. First of all, in 2011, you dont think Oscar Klefbom and Jonas Brodin are better than any defenseman Snow has drafted.
Second, you chalk up a year where Snow again missed on dmen to it was very hit and miss. This is the kind of excuse making Snow relies on. So either it was a bad draft or if he missed out on good dmen it was because it was hit or miss, so in other words it is never his fault?
In 2012 we picked Griffin Reinhart, one of the biggest busts of all time, ONE SPOT before Morgan Reilly, two spots before Hampus Lindholm, three spots before Matt Dumba, and five spots before Jacob Trouba. This is not a case of striking gold with dmen like these in the second round, third round, etc. This was basically four of the next five teams IMMEDIATELY picking after Snow picked top pairing defensemen and Snow picked a huge bust...but you want to chalk that up to it being "hit and miss." Come on man.

I think you need a lesson in reading comprehension

I said NOTHING about 2011 except to say it was a bad year for defensemen drafted. How do you misinterpret that? I said NOTHING about Snow.

In 2012 you had some nice players picked right after Reinhart, but also Pouliot at #8 and Koekkoek at #10 . . . again, how do you misinterpret what I wrote?

You need to re-read what I wrote, it's nothing like you are claiming I said

TRY to at least acknowledge my main point in it . . . since 2011 there's not a lot of TOP PAIRING defenders that have been drafted from 2011 on. That's not a hard statement to prove.

NHL and WHA Draft History at Hockeydb.com

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I think you need a lesson in reading comprehension

I said NOTHING about 2011 except to say it was a bad year for defensemen drafted. How do you misinterpret that? I said NOTHING about Snow.

In 2012 you had some nice players picked right after Reinhart, but also Pouliot at #8 and Koekkoek at #10 . . . again, how do you misinterpret what I wrote?

You need to re-read what I wrote, it's nothing like you are claiming I said

TRY to at least acknowledge my main point in it . . . since 2011 there's not a lot of TOP PAIRING defenders that have been drafted from 2011 on. That's not a hard statement to prove.

NHL and WHA Draft History at Hockeydb.com

Ummmm I think it is you who needs an improvement in reading comprehension. You again reemphasize that not a lot of top pairing defenders have been drafted in the last six years. I just gave you a list of four of them, that were drafted immediately after Snow's pick of Reinhart. So maybe you are trying to tell me Morgan Reilly, Hampus Lindholm, Matt Dumba and Jacob Trouba are not top pairing dmen? I suggest you look at the depth charts for each of their four teams, four teams might I add that all have minimum 5-6 points more than us in the standings with several games on hand. You dont think if we had even just one of those 4 dmen instead of Pelech or Mayfield that our team would be significantly better?
But no, you can keep blaming it on a lack of good defensemen coming into the league or it being hit and miss. Laughable.
I for one would take any of those four dmen and one of Brodin or Klefbom over any defenseman Snow has ever drafted in his life.
In 12 years as a GM, Snow has not DRAFTED a single top pairing dman, not a single one. That is not the pipeline of defense prospects coming into the league that is at fault, that is Snow who is at fault.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
FOUR top pairing defensemen in SEVEN YEARS is what you are relying on?

FOUR???

In SEVEN YEARS??

None of those four (Lindholm and Trouba are the best of the four in my opinion and the rest still have a ways to go - Christ, Trouba was bottom pair last year!) are named Karlsson, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Klingberg, Hedman, Burns, Weber, Josi, Subban, Letang and others that truly are Top pairings, not forced to play like one. Under your argument both Leddy and Boychuck are top pairing and we all know that JB is Top 4, not 2 and Leddy is borderline. Which is why we struggle with goals against.

Case dismissed.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
FOUR top pairing defensemen in SEVEN YEARS is what you are relying on?

FOUR???

In SEVEN YEARS??

None of those four (Lindholm and Trouba are the best of the four in my opinion and the rest still have a ways to go - Christ, Trouba was bottom pair last year!) are named Karlsson, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Klingberg, Hedman, Burns, Weber, Josi, Subban, Letang and others that truly are Top pairings, not forced to play like one. Under your argument both Leddy and Boychuck are top pairing and we all know that JB is Top 4, not 2 and Leddy is borderline. Which is why we struggle with goals against.

Case dismissed.
You are just lost, so there is no point in wasting more of my time. So in your mind there are only 10 top pairing defensemen in the league or so out of 62 possible slots. Second, you again clearly lack in reading comprehension skills. I mentioned defensemen from 2011 and didnt bother taking the time to look at later years. Those four I mentioned were from one draft year, one, not seven. And if you cannot see how that is particularly egregious that 4 of the next five picks after Snow chose a bust are legit top 4 defensemen if not top pairing, I dont know what else I can do for you. And if your argument by putting down those four guys is that just one of them would not make our defense better than one with Mayfield and/or Pelech in it, you are just clueless. You also clearly dont know much about Morgan Reilly based on your response. He is 23 and is already better than any Isles defenseman other than Leddy or Boychuk have been or ever will be.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
You are just lost, so there is no point in wasting more of my time. So in your mind there are only 10 top pairing defensemen in the league or so out of 62 possible slots. Second, you again clearly lack in reading comprehension skills. I mentioned defensemen from 2011 and didnt bother taking the time to look at later years. Those four I mentioned were from one draft year, one, not seven. And if you cannot see how that is particularly egregious that 4 of the next five picks after Snow chose a bust are legit top 4 defensemen if not top pairing, I dont know what else I can do for you. And if your argument by putting down those four guys is that just one of them would not make our defense better than one with Mayfield and/or Pelech in it, you are just clueless. You also clearly dont know much about Morgan Reilly based on your response. He is 23 and is already better than any Isles defenseman other than Leddy or Boychuk have been or ever will be.

Keep kidding yourself. I DID check after 2011 and that was the majority of my supporting info. Just because someone is playing on the team's top pair does not make them Top pair worthy in analyzing them. By YOUR OWN standard Boychuck is a Top 2 pair defender. You are likely the only one on the Isles board who feels Boychuck is a Top 2 defender.

Here's my final point one more time: Since 2011 there's not a lot of TOP PAIRING defenders that have been drafted from 2011 on. That's not a hard statement to prove.

FOUR TRUE TOP PAIR defenders drafted in years is not a big number. Those four would help but NONE OF THEM besides Hamilton has proven to truly be a Top pair player based on production and effect. Show your supporting information to prove that statement wrong. You even admit in this last paragraph that most are LEGIT TOP 4 if not top pairing! You're MAKING MY POINT.

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012
He's way in over his head (which is not his fault, and it's making him look worse), but he can still be a top four defenseman.

I mistakenly thought you were talking about Snow until you got to the very end . My bad.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
This.

Pelech is a great young #4 Dman in the making and can easily be what we've come to like about de Haan.

He's in his FIRST full NHL season.

And he's been overwhelmed and played with every guy on the bluline. He has cracked under the pressure and has made his fair share of mistakes, especially over the last 35 games.

But he's a keeper and a kid who is going to profit from all the experience he's getting this year and I'd be willing to bet that the guys in the locker room see it as such too.

My experience with him: He knows what he can do and is on the brink of being downright cocky. When he fails, he looks to right what he's done wrong. He's gonna be a goodin' when he's truly matured.
I fully agree with this. Pelech was drafted in the 3rd round, he was not projected to be a top 3 or 4 defenseman. 4 was probably going to be his ceiling, but he has been forced into playing anywhere from 2-4 and his partners have been revolving and not stable.
If we had a good defense crew Pelech would be getting #5 assignments and minutes.
He is not THE problem. Leddy and a limited Boychuk (limited by injury, ageing, quickness), and a missing De Haan are what make Pelech a poor defenseman with us.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Pelech is fun, Mayfield too. Look at how this team plays 5 man defense in the zone(note, they don't). The D forward do not support at all hence guys walking in taking shots once the puck is established in the zone.

The young guys look worse than they really are because these coaches suck a bag of ***** when it comes to any sort of defensive game.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Pelech is fun, Mayfield too. Look at how this team plays 5 man defense in the zone(note, they don't). The D forward do not support at all hence guys walking in taking shots once the puck is established in the zone.

The young guys look worse than they really are because these coaches suck a bag of ***** when it comes to any sort of defensive game.

I don't know if I've ever seen a consistently less coordinated group of players in their own zone at the NHL level.

And it doesn't improve.

What's odd is that the first coach I ever had in a competitive pretty much preached from day 1, "If you own the bluelines, you'll win 70% of your games."

For me, it's unfathomable how much failure in this team takes place around both bluelines. Just incredible.

With more sheltering, Pelech can be a good one.

I'm not so certain about Mayfield. Even with his pure brain farts aside, his style is in many ways one that's hardly a big challenge for opponents.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I don't know if I've ever seen a consistently less coordinated group of players in their own zone at the NHL level.

And it doesn't improve.

What's odd is that the first coach I ever had in a competitive pretty much preached from day 1, "If you own the bluelines, you'll win 70% of your games."

For me, it's unfathomable how much failure in this team takes place around both bluelines. Just incredible.

With more sheltering, Pelech can be a good one.

I'm not so certain about Mayfield. Even with his pure brain farts aside, his style is in many ways one that's hardly a big challenge for opponents.

Exactly. If your team sucks at playing D your kids are just going to look worse by default.

I think when Mayfield finally gets it he'll be a solid #6. I don't have high expectations for him at all but I feel he can play at this level.

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
ok so the season is winding down. we know the D stinks overall . but how would you all rate Pelech's season?

he was protected in the expansion draft and he pretty much was the replacement for Hammer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->