Prospect Info: Adam Mascherin (2016, #38 overall, UP: Re-enters draft), Kitchener Rangers (OHL)

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Well I think there is a little more to it than your over simplification.

Adam needs "public relation schooling" on when to talk to the media and when not to. You don't give the following quote on 9/13/17 “I haven’t spoken to them at all. I have no idea what’s going on" and then clam up until the middle of December about it after the team refutes the statement. The guy wants to be coddled and paid like a 1st round pick and he needs to grow up.

McCabe was sent on a mission to smooth things over with their disgruntled draft pick. If you think that quote was from a guy who was happy with the way he's been treated, then you need to take some classes on the art of negotiation.

Obviously things seem back on track as McCabe and he have come to a meeting of the minds on their respective positions. IMO, he wants 1st round incentive bonus money and the Cats are saying "show me you are worth it." You didn't see Sebastian Aho trying to embarrass his team in the media for $860,000 per year incentive bonus money (which he got) by dropping a quote like " They want to make sure that they’re making an investment in the right person and the right player,” Mascherin said. “However much time they think they need, things will work out for the best, regardless of what happens. I’m not really too worried about that." :)

I have a feeling the original quotes from the beginning of the season were misrepresented. Nothing that happened afterwards lines up with those quotes and I was even told McCabe had spoken to Mascherin prior to those initial quotes.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I have a feeling the original quotes from the beginning of the season were misrepresented. Nothing that happened afterwards lines up with those quotes and I was even told McCabe had spoken to Mascherin prior to those initial quotes.
If they were misrepresented then Adam should have straightened it out instead of doing nothing. McCabe said he had spoken to Mascherin during the summer which essentially refuted what Adam was quoted as saying.

60/40 he signs is still skewed towards him coming to the Cats but he wants his bonus incentives and they will likely meet someone in the middle before he has to go back in the draft. :)

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
If they were misrepresented then Adam should have straightened it out instead of doing nothing. McCabe said he had spoken to Mascherin during the summer which essentially refuted what Adam was quoted as saying.

60/40 he signs is still skewed towards him coming to the Cats but he wants his bonus incentives and they will likely meet someone in the middle before he has to go back in the draft. :)

Disagree on all but the beauty of this forum is we're all allowed to have our own opinions :)

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Ang and Mascherin will be in OHL playoffs. Tippett's Steelheads look like they will may make it but as a bottom seed.
Hopefully they get bounced 1st round so I don't know if we can bring Tippett back up to NHL without burning a year off his deal?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I dont think so, I also think its the same if he reports to the AHL. We gonna burn a year on his ELC with three additional professional games, I believe.

Ya I figured that, too bad. So I guess he gets extra time off to work on his skating and weight training?
Either way, we have 5 talented prospects on their way, Borgstrom, Tippett, Mascherin, Heponiemi and Ang. I'm curious which one or two will make it next year. Borgstrom obviously being the leader of the pack.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Ya I figured that, too bad. So I guess he gets extra time off to work on his skating and weight training?
Either way, we have 5 talented prospects on their way, Borgstrom, Tippett, Mascherin, Heponiemi and Ang. I'm curious which one or two will make it next year. Borgstrom obviously being the leader of the pack.
borg and tippett will obviously be on the roster next yr to start the year but i see tippett flaming out hard and being sent to the AHL. hes just not good. mascherin should be in the AHL and hopefully he'll show something there. Ang is fast but hes no scorer so i dont know what there is to be excited about really with him. seems like a bad 3rd liner or whatever 4th liner so i dont really pay him much attention. Heponiemi will certainly not make the team because hes tiny. he'll go be too good for the panthers in europe or be too good for the whl in the whl.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
He just scored his 35th goal of the season. Third consecutive year. Next goal will be his career high.

-ghoste

Just watched the game. Kitchener came back from a 3 goal deficit against a solid team in Hamilton. Mascherin had a good game, could have had two goals but both goalies played amazing despite the 4-3 score. Mascherin is definitely a playmaker as well as a scorer but just needs to work on his foot speed and skating.

Kitchener still has 15 games to go so safe to say he will pass 35 goals and more than likely get 40.

Also was keeping an eye on Stillman on Hamilton and he's having a decent season as well. 24pts in 48 games. Curious what his plan is next year. He had been traded from Oshawa where he played all of his OHL career.

Last edited:

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
always had a great shot, beautiful one above, hopefully he can be a trigger man in the faceoff cirlce like that on our pp. one of our biggest issues is that we dont have anyone we can feed. i still really worry about his skating/foot speed. i hope it translates.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
^Yeah, he's got a blistering shot...........so does Hunt and so did Pirri when they had plenty of white ice. Hunt and Mascherin have similar strength on the boards but Hunt has not been able to secure the confidence needed to play consistently at the pro level in his short career so far. Mascherin seems to possess the confident swagger in his game to take it to the next level but only time will tell if that can transfer. Pirri could distribute and shoot but was a poor defender, average skater and had trouble winning one on one puck battles.

IMO, Mascherin will need at least a few years in the AHL. Whether or not he has the work ethic needed will be the determining factor. :)

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Any update on this? I'm actually starting to get worried

Not too excited by his "progress" from last season to this season, especially as an over-ager. Plus, he's 5'9".

Even Tippett has improved significantly from one season to the next.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Not too excited by his "progress" from last season to this season, especially as an over-ager. Plus, he's 5'9".

5'10, but more than that, he's built like a tank. Very strong body.

He has been working on his overall game and according to this interview the Panthers are very pleased with how his game has progressed. The analyst does mention Mascherin's offensive game has stagnated a bit, most likely because he's focusing so hard on other aspects of his game, but says he wouldn't worry about it and believes Mascherin will work it out.

His speed is the only thing that concerns me a bit.

(FLA prospects info starts 18:31, Mascherin info on 21:54.)

Last edited:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

Except he's not and he doesn't even turn 20 until June. Next year would be his overage junior season, which is a path that probably isn't in his plans.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Hey, I hope he becomes a star for Florida and I'm not saying he's a bust, but I'm not encouraged by his apparent inability to expand his defensive responsibilities while also further pumping up his offensive totals....especially since he's built like a tank.....in the juniors.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
to be honest i dont give a crap about his d ability atm. As long as the kid can shoot accurately then i see a future for him either with us or as a piece to a greater deal.

We need to stop spreading FUD about our prospects and players. :)

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
The update is there are still 3 months left.

I’m not worried at all.

hey batting. Thanks for the time you put in behind the scenes. Staying positive is nice and makes you feel better..I'd rather be excited by our solid prospects then picking out the one area they need work on and dwelling...:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad