Prospect Info: Adam Mascherin (2016, #38 overall, UP: Re-enters draft), Kitchener Rangers (OHL)

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
I wonder if there's a 31 gm handshake to not draft him and let the panthers have him in the 7th round sort of like the under the table rule of no offer sheeting players anymore.

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
Wanted to bring this over from the Hyman thread but here is what Batting had to say about Hyman:

"He has one good year out 4 and everyone has some odd love for him. We don't need the attitude he appears to have on this team. Obviously I would've been interested in seeing how he could perform in the AHL, but it doesn't seem like that's what Hyman wanted."

Sounds just like Masch.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
any team interested in trading for him will have already used back channels to ask his agent if he will sign with them.

Maybe ? If that was the case though Mascherin would have been traded much earlier.

It's really surprising that the Panthers couldn't get at least 2019 or 2020 4/5th round pick for his rights. Maybe something else is going on ? I'm thinking his agent let it be known that he would only sign with one team which kills his value on the trade market.

I get that people want to take him again as revenge for not signing with us, but there is an opportunity cost associated with wasting a pick, even if it is a seventh-round pick. If the Panthers end up re-drafting Mascherin it will be to trade him ASAP and recoup a bit of the asset value.

A mildly annoying situation, but the acquisition of Vatrano makes Mascherin a bit redundant. Mascherin might become a better player than Vatrano, but they appear to possess similar skill set and build.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Just move on at this point. If he doesn't want to be here, so be it.

Seriously, I don't even see a future for him in this organization anyway. He's behind quite a few prospects that are better than him, and he's not all that as a player. The Panthers have a lot of young talent and even if he made it he's like 5 years out. Besides the wasted 2nd round pick, I could really care less.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Seriously, I don't even see a future for him in this organization anyway. He's behind quite a few prospects that are better than him, and he's not all that as a player. The Panthers have a lot of young talent and even if he made it he's like 5 years out. Besides the wasted 2nd round pick, I could really care less.

I feel mostly the same way, but it’s not just a wasted 2nd round pick but also a another wasted (possibly valuable) asset we lost for nothing in return. Just sucks, that’s all. But what can you do

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
I feel mostly the same way, but it’s not just a wasted 2nd round pick but also a another wasted (possibly valuable) asset we lost for nothing in return. Just sucks, that’s all. But what can you do

There isn't a lot you can do. We don't know why Tallon couldn't move his rights 6 weeks ago for a future pick.

Three or four years ago a 2nd round prospect not signing would have been devastating. At this time, its not.

I think Mascherin will become a good player. But we already have Vatrano.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
The only thing to discuss is who pick him and when?
I hope for him the Teams pick him earliest at round 3 or later and he get a much badder Contract. Not sure why Team should go after him in round 2. Until you have 3-4 2nd Round Picks to use.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The only thing to discuss is who pick him and when?
I hope for him the Teams pick him earliest at round 3 or later and he get a much badder Contract. Not sure why Team should go after him in round 2. Until you have 3-4 2nd Round Picks to use.

Montreal has 4 of them. May use one of them on him if they think he can score 25 goals a year. Helps soften the blow of losing Pacioretty but in general, the Habs need to draft well in all areas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad