Player Discussion Adam Gaudette - Hobey Baker winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
So Gaudette is now the leading scorer in the NCAA and in consideration for the Hobey Baker.....Pettersson is lighting up the SHL with numbers not seen since the Peter Forsberg era......Lind might be best pure goalscorer in the WHL at the moment; Tryamkin is a KHL all-star d-man and likely headed for the Olympics; and Demko is a legit all-star goalie in the AHL.

I realize that some posters on these boards are like Charlie Brown, waiting for the football to be whipped away just as they're about to boot it....but come-on.....these kids are as close to 'sure-things' to play in the NHL as you can get.....and been many, many years since you could say that about the Canuck prospect pool.
EP is basically a sure-thing NHL’er. Pretty much every comparable teenage SHL player in history with his type of production has gone on to become a impact NHL player.

Demko is tracking beautifully but goalies are weird so I’d be hesitant to say he’s a 100% future starting goalie.

Gaudette and Lind are also having phenomenal seasons but again, to call them 100% sure-things is a stretch. Need to see how they adapt to the pro game. I’d love to see some comparisons/charts of how similarly aged prospects with similar production ended up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catbug

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
EP is trending towards being basically a sure-thing NHL’er. Pretty much every comparable teenage SHL player in history with his type of production has gone on to become a impact NHL player.

Demko is tracking beautifully but goalies are weird so I’d be hesitant to say he’s a 100% future starting goalie.

Gaudette and Lind are also having phenomenal seasons but again, to call them 100% sure-things is a stretch. Need to see how they adapt to the pro game. I’d love to see some comparisons/charts of how similarly aged prospects with similar production ended up.
The thing you have to love about both Gaudette and Lind, is they bring that 'swagger' and 'attitude'.....sort of 'Ryan Kesler' lite.....the kind of players other teams soon learn to dislike and start taking runs at.....you gotta' be pumped for it....can you imagine a line of Gaudette, Lind and Tkachuk?....oh what could have been.

Reactions: Nucker101

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
The thing you have to love about both Gaudette and Lind, is they bring that 'attitude'.....sort of 'Ryan Kesler' lite.....the kind of players other teams soon learn to dislike and start taking runs at.....you gotta' be pumped for it....can you imagine a line of Gaudette, Lind and Tkachuk?....oh what could have been.
100% This team is sorely lacking in players who are a pain to play against but are actually good players to boot. Would be fun to have a couple of players like that again.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The thing you have to love about both Gaudette and Lind, is they bring that 'swagger' and 'attitude'.....sort of 'Ryan Kesler' lite.....the kind of players other teams soon learn to dislike and start taking runs at.....you gotta' be pumped for it....can you imagine a line of Gaudette, Lind and Tkachuk?....oh what could have been.
what could have been?

Were drafting Brady if Dahlin is gone.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
20 years from now, they will look back at this anticipatory period and write a screenplay about it called "Waiting for Gaudette."

Ha..ha!...Yessiree...."Waiting for Godot' accurately described Willie Desjardins power-play, and in years gone by, the inevitable face-plants of the Canuck prospect pool....but this time, "Waiting for Gaudette" will be worth it.

Reactions: Jyrki21

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Is he really going to turn pro in his junior year? I am suspicious. I just have this bad feeling this is going to be one of those down to the wire kind of things.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Is he really going to turn pro in his junior year? I am suspicious. I just have this bad feeling this is going to be one of those down to the wire kind of things.

Financially, it would be an awful decision to go back for senior year. You have about 10-15 years to set yourself up for life financially from a playing career if you're lucky. Losing a full season when you could have been making a full NHL paycheck is a significant loss.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Drafting Brady in the top 5 would be catastrophic.

Most all draft experts disagree with you.

I will take a fast, big, gritty, talented BPA forward over a small puck moving defenceman with a good first pass. Juolevi had a "good first pass" Especially with the softest, most lifeless group of 12 forwards known to man on the Canucks. I think he will be better than Matthew.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

I will take a fast, big, gritty, talented BPA forward over a small puck moving defenceman with a good first pass. Juolevi had a "good first pass" Especially with the softest, most lifeless group of 12 forwards known to man on the Canucks. I think he will be better than Matthew.

talk about a broad stroke. Worth noting that Virtanen was "fast, big, gritty, talented" if we're gonna go in that direction.

also Matthew's draft year production is significantly more impressive.

Last edited:

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Financially, it would be an awful decision to go back for senior year. You have about 10-15 years to set yourself up for life financially from a playing career if you're lucky. Losing a full season when you could have been making a full NHL paycheck is a significant loss.

Not necessarily. If he signs an ELC this season it's a 3 year deal but if he waits until next season it's only a 2 year deal because he'll be 22 years old. So his ELC expires the same year whether he signs now or a year from now.

The main leverage the Canucks have is they can burn the 1st year of his deal.

Reactions: Grantham

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

I don’t care about “draft experts” he missed the 2017 draft cut off by 1 day, and is having a relatively poor draft season for an expected top 5 pick.

Matthew had a significantly better draft season despite being younger, so it’s insane to think Brady will be better based on zero data.

Hughes and Boqvist are clearly better prospects, players like Brady always get overrated by “draft experts” and turn out to be way worse than expected.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta

You guys take what you want,,i want to win the draft lottery for once,,god we are so over due for that #1pick....

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I don’t care about “draft experts” he missed the 2017 draft cut off by 1 day, and is having a relatively poor draft season for an expected top 5 pick.

Matthew had a significantly better draft season despite being younger, so it’s insane to think Brady will be better based on zero data.

Hughes and Boqvist are clearly better prospects, players like Brady always get overrated by “draft experts” and turn out to be way worse than expected.

Brady is bigger and a much better skater. Started slow in NCAA but has been coming on and had a very good WJC. Show up for big games and drives play.

Who exactly are you to discredit people like MCKenzie who actually talk to professional scouts and proclaim Hughes will clearly be a better player? Wasn’t that impressive at WJC.

Where is your unquestioned data?

I have seen zero evidence of a Tkachuk that has not been a very good player in the NHL.

I would rather have Evan Bouchard than Hughes.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Brady is better skater than Matthew but Matthew has higher skill level. Brady will be a strong 2nd liner (IMO) and a good compliment to our forward core. But there are better forwards in the draft, and better defensemen I wouldn't pick Brady before 6 or 7th

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Brady is bigger and a much better skater. Started slow in NCAA but has been coming on and had a very good WJC. Show up for big games and drives play.

Who exactly are you to discredit people like MCKenzie who actually talk to professional scouts and proclaim Hughes will clearly be a better player? Wasn’t that impressive at WJC.

Where is your unquestioned data?

I have seen zero evidence of a Tkachuk that has not been a very good player in the NHL.

I would rather have Evan Bouchard than Hughes.

I have seen zero evidence of a Subban that has not been very good in the NHL. Let's draft Jordan.

I have seen zero evidence of a Kariya that has not been very good in the NHL. Let's draft Steve.

I have seen zero evidence of a Fedorov that has not been very good in the NHL. Let's draft Fedor.

I have seen zero evidence of a Staal that has not been very good in the NHL. Let's draft Jared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad