Player Discussion Adam Gaudette - Hobey Baker winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
You guys need to pump the brakes. I will be happy if he is a good 3c for us.
I think there is only a few posters that are really getting out of control with expectations.

I think most posters here are hoping for a middle 6 forward. I think he switches to wings in the pros (unless he improves in a few areas) and realistic upside is someone like Patrick Eaves which is a good return on a 5th round pick.

Reactions: vancityluongo

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think there is only a few posters that are really getting out of control with expectations.

I think most posters here are hoping for a middle 6 forward. I think he switches to wings in the pros (unless he improves in a few areas) and realistic upside is someone like Patrick Eaves which is a good return on a 5th round pick.

I would be happy with a Baerstchi level type player. There is a long road ahead, but he is one of the top players in the NCAA right now and that's pretty exciting given our draft history.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Ugh. Yet another Husky I have to root against once he's in the NHL...since I'm a Ducks fan. We got J. Manson & K. Roy though so I'm already spoiled. Hope he works out for you guys. Go Huskies!!

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Gaudette projects as a 3C. The hype right now is amusing. Sure he could breakout and become a quality top 6. But expectations should be a solid 3C.
With that in mind, his trade value is about as high as it will ever be...Gudbranson + Gaudette for Kadri and a 1st?
Why would rebuilding team trade 21 year old progressing player and on other side why would contender trade a top player for mostly futures. Gaudette is perfect for Canucks he is the exact type of player team needs. Who knows what he will be as he is still improving but he plays with an edge that is sorely lacking.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
If you everything goes right and the Canucks have, Petterson, Horvat, Gaudette down the middle that's really good centre depth to build around. Gaudette as a two way 3rd line centre would be fantastic, I think he has borderline 2C potential, it's just that he's behind two very good players in Petterson and Horvat in the Canucks future depth chart.

Reactions: donut

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
Has anyone done a good analysis of Gaudette's production in the NCAA versus other similar prospects? Like the one done for Pettersson in the SHL?

Just eye-balling some of the stats for other mid-round picks from Hockey East in recent years, Gaudette's trajectory looks roughly similar to Cam Atkinson or Nick Bonino (which would obviously be a terrific outcome) but also Devin Shore (a utility player, though that would still be terrific value for a 5th round pick) or even Matthew Nieto (same). And then I guess on the downside there's a guy like Kevin Roy, who was putting up Gaudette-esque numbers in college for awhile but then regressed a bit his senior year and is struggling to crack the Ducks roster now.

But there's probably a more rigorous way to do this...

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Why would rebuilding team trade 21 year old progressing player and on other side why would contender trade a top player for mostly futures. Gaudette is perfect for Canucks he is the exact type of player team needs. Who knows what he will be as he is still improving but he plays with an edge that is sorely lacking.
Simple, because they can get an even better prospect in return. No doubt Gaudette has significant value. That`s why trading him now, when his value could be at a peak, might make some sense. You have to give up something to get something. And teams looking to get into and make a push in the playoffs need depth on D. They are willing to pay a lot. I would hate to see Gaudette go but, on the other hand, if the asset in return projects higher because some D assets were also given up, it could make sense. The team doesn`t lack bottom 9 forwards and bottom 4 defense. It lacks top end talent (with the exception of Boeser).

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Has anyone done a good analysis of Gaudette's production in the NCAA versus other similar prospects? Like the one done for Pettersson in the SHL?

Just eye-balling some of the stats for other mid-round picks from Hockey East in recent years, Gaudette's trajectory looks roughly similar to Cam Atkinson or Nick Bonino (which would obviously be a terrific outcome) but also Devin Shore (a utility player, though that would still be terrific value for a 5th round pick) or even Matthew Nieto (same). And then I guess on the downside there's a guy like Kevin Roy, who was putting up Gaudette-esque numbers in college for awhile but then regressed a bit his senior year and is struggling to crack the Ducks roster now.

But there's probably a more rigorous way to do this...

i think it is really hard to project from the ncaa and with so little cross-over time for those players in other leagues to work with. they look fast and slick on their own ponds but predicting whether they can take a hit and create time and space for themselves playing against grown men is hard.

i think gaudette has very good hand eye, which encourages me. his overall skill set generally looks decent. also, lately it seems as if undrafted ncaa guys are stepping into the nhl more than they did. so that much indicates some optimism that the overall quality of the ncaa is getting closer. even a guy like molino did not look far out of place during his cup of coffee other than his lack of finish.

Reactions: Dissonance Jr

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Madigan just said "When he's ready to sign a pro contract in a year"... as in next spring/summer? Gaudette won't be signing this year? That's awfully close to UFA.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Madigan just said "When he's ready to sign a pro contract in a year"... as in next spring/summer? Gaudette won't be signing this year? That's awfully close to UFA.
His twitter is him in a Canucks jersey tho and hes talked about coming here for sure but i heard that too. Thats pretty hella concerning :(

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
The idea that Gaudette won't sign is silly. Maybe in the past when our team was deep and prospects couldn't get into the line up...

If Gaudette signs with us he is almost guaranteed a roster spot if he shows that he can play in training camp. And who doesn't want to live in Vancouver? Yea its expensive but its a beautiful city.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Coach also mentioned that Gaudette probably wont be a point producer type of player in NHL but more so a forechecker and a hound on the puck ala Kesler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad