Adam Fox, Cale Makar or Miro Heiskanen?

Who would you take right now?

• Total voters

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Just noticed something funny. Makar loves to beat up on the bad, non-playoff teams but has trouble scoring goals on the good, playoff teams...

Scored goals vs:
Philly
Habs
Dallas
Ducks
Ott (2x)
Sea (2x)
Stl
Vegas

Only one team out of those is in the top 8 of their conference.

He actually only has 5 of his points 22 points vs playoffs teams (and 3 came in 1 game vs Nashville)
I think this argument loses a lot of muster when you factor in his actual playoff scoring (which is obviously solely against playoff teams).

Maintaining a near ppg pace for 35 games as a a defenceman in your first few years is pretty insane.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Just noticed something funny. Makar loves to beat up on the bad, non-playoff teams but has trouble scoring goals on the good, playoff teams...

Scored goals vs:
Philly
Habs
Dallas
Ducks
Ott (2x)
Sea (2x)
Stl
Vegas

Only one team out of those is in the top 8 of their conference.

He actually only has 5 of his points 22 points vs playoffs teams (and 3 came in 1 game vs Nashville)

This random ‘stat’ has so much weight to it, then you realize Makar has 117 points in his 121 regular season games and 31 points in 35 playoff games.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Makar AINEC. Adam Fox is already -1 tonight. So much for that great defense. Just terrible, five minutes into the game and -1 already! End of discussion. ;)

Tough dash 3, 0 point night for Fox. Makar on the other hand 1 apple +2

Just saying a player is a minus or plus really means little. He could have just stepped on the ice and had nothing to do with the play, or covered his man perfectly and had someone else mess up.

The first goal, Makar did nothing, beyond being in position. Fox made a low percentage long pass, which got easily cut off (by Toews), and then screened his goalie on the shot.

Second goal, Fox not on the ice. Makar lost sight of the puck, and the man he should have been covering screened the goalie.

(I don't know where Fox was when the Avs almost got a shorthanded breakaway. He was the only defenceman on the ice, but not one of the three Rangers back.)

Third goal (PP), Fox not on the ice. Makar had his man.

Fourth goal, Fox not on the ice. Makar had just stepped on, and was not involved in the play (a perfect example of a 'free' plus).

Fifth goal, Makar with the shot, Fox with a wild kick at the puck, not tying up a man.

Sixth goal (PP), Makar not on the ice. Fox made a good defensive play just before, but again wasn't covering anyone on the goal.

Seventh goal, Makar not on the ice. For caught up ice on a bad pinch, didn't get back in time.

Eighth goal, neither on the ice.

Ninth goal, neither on the ice.

Tenth goal, neither on the ice.

So, in summary:

Makar gets a - on the second goal and a + on the fifth, not involved in the first and fourth. Even, but credited with +2.

Fox with a - on the first, fifth and seventh, and also a culprit on the sixth (PP). Genuine -3.

Because some posters were talking about -/+, I've focused on the actual goals. This is not to say that neither of them had other good or bad plays in the game, and of course this was just one game.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Just saying a player is a minus or plus really means little. He could have just stepped on the ice and had nothing to do with the play, or covered his man perfectly and had someone else mess up.

The first goal, Makar did nothing, beyond being in position. Fox made a low percentage long pass, which got easily cut off (by Toews), and then screened his goalie on the shot.

Second goal, Fox not on the ice. Makar lost sight of the puck, and the man he should have been covering screened the goalie.

(I don't know where Fox was when the Avs almost got a shorthanded breakaway. He was the only defenceman on the ice, but not one of the three Rangers back.)

Third goal (PP), Fox not on the ice. Makar had his man.

Fourth goal, Fox not on the ice. Makar had just stepped on, and was not involved in the play (a perfect example of a 'free' plus).

Fifth goal, Makar with the shot, Fox with a wild kick at the puck, not tying up a man.

Sixth goal (PP), Makar not on the ice. Fox made a good defensive play just before, but again wasn't covering anyone on the goal.

Seventh goal, Makar not on the ice. For caught up ice on a bad pinch, didn't get back in time.

Eighth goal, neither on the ice.

Ninth goal, neither on the ice.

Tenth goal, neither on the ice.

So, in summary:

Makar gets a - on the second goal and a + on the fifth, not involved in the first and fourth. Even, but credited with +2.

Fox with a - on the first, fifth and seventh, and also a culprit on the sixth (PP). Genuine -3.

Because some posters were talking about -/+, I've focused on the actual goals. This is not to say that neither of them had other good or bad plays in the game, and of course this was just one game.
Do you really have to justify every single goal? Fox had a bad game and was a non factor. Let it be. Trouba was pretty good out there

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Do you really have to justify every single goal? Fox had a bad game and was a non factor. Let it be. Trouba was pretty good out there
I wasn't 'justifying' the goals, but more the -/+ that the posters I quoted were blindly using.

Fox was a -3, and, in this particular game, deservedly so, but my main point was that the +2 for Makar was deceptive. He was, for all practical purposes, even for the game.

While +/- can be a reasonable statistic en masse, it's very poor in a small sample such as a game. The fourth goal was a perfect example: Girard started the play (and earned an assist), but as the play went up-ice, the defence changed, and Makar basically stepped on the ice just in time to get a completely undeserved +. (I've been on both ends of that many, many times!) Tomorrow it may happen the other way around, which is why +/- can be useful when looking at a season or a career, but not a game.

They both made some good plays through the game, but I focused on goals because the topic was +/-. Makar was a non factor. Fox was a non factor offensively, but in the eight or nine games I've seen him in this year, his defensive positioning has sometimes been off.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

What’s funny is in some ways this shows how volatile goalscoring can be from defensemen. Ellett went on to score 9 goals in his next 54 games. Iafrate had 10 in 56. It’s like when Brent Burns had 27 through the first 59 games in ‘17, then only 2 the following 23. Hopefully Makar can be fairly consistent, because it’d be cool to see some high defenseman totals

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I love how the Leafs fan above always analyzes all of Fox’s weaker games very closely, but somehow goes missing for the other games.

The team was playing the second game of a back to back returning home from a different time zone. The whole team was tired and played terrible. That one game was no more important than any other game. It’s not as if defensemen go head to head against each other on the ice either.

Last edited:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Fox is great but he is no Cale

You want the best offensive defenseman in the league who isn't a slouch defensively, or do you want a defenseman that grades top-5 offensively and defensively. There's a legit argument for both and either way they're the two best defenseman in the league. Miro is way out of his depth in this poll.

TheRarestDangles

Oct 1, 2019
Denver, Colorado, USA, Earth
You want the best offensive defenseman in the league who isn't a slouch defensively, or do you want a defenseman that grades top-5 offensively and defensively. There's a legit argument for both and either way they're the two best defenseman in the league. Miro is way out of his depth in this poll.
Yes, I agree. Fox is indeed great--maybe even fantastic--but he is no Cale.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Since when is Fox a top-5 defensive defenceman in the league?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Somebody in the NHL isn't doing their job right.

I watched the Arizona/Rangers game, figuring maybe I'd finally see this spectacular Fox.

Meh. Out of position on Arizona's shortie, picked up a kind of nothing assist on Zib's goal, and was one the ice for their other PP goal. A minus 1, but a decent if not great game.

Then I looked at the stats on NHL.com, and he's a +2?

All three goals he was on the ice for were on NY powerplays. Am I crazy? So I looked at the play-by-play. Those three goals all show he was on the ice, and all show six Rangers and five Coyotes. But they also say all three were at even strength. Somebody boo-booed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad