Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
IMO Caps clearly need more skill and especially scoring ability in the top-6. Laich, Brouwer, potentially MJ (if they keep using him at wing) need to be upgraded. Semin is probably not worth 7m, but even during a bad season, he'd probably be a better way to spend money than what the Caps are currently getting from Laich and Brouwer. Aside from scoring, these guys drag all linemates down in terms of scoring, whereas Semin had the opposite effect. Anyway, that ship has sailed..

It's gonna be tough to add skill & scoring, though. There's not many attractive UFAs and those will be expensive -- especially right after a cap increase, when all teams have tons of space to spend. And Caps don't have a lot of great trade assets. "All hope for Kuz".

some guys to watch:
Paul Stastny
Patrick Marleau
Dion Phaneuf
Thomas Vanek

All guys who I think would be great to help fix this team.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
I could keep saying it until I'm blue in the face. Sign Girardi.

Forward-wise, it'll be hard to dump the dead-weight.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Just saying it wouldn't even be the worst contract on the team when we have the likes of Laich, Brouwer, Erat, and Erskine sucking up ~15M

$7 mil for 21 pts with 4 more years? That would be the worst contract on the books IMO. I mean you can add up more Caps contracts than that if we're getting silly comparing a large portion of the team's salaries to Semin.

Again, I'll take door #3, none of the above.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I'll take whatever option three is.

Not trading Semin was one of George's many failures as GM of this team.

I agree with this. GMGM with Dale at the helm, opted to hold on to both Semin and Wideman at the TDL knowing full well that he was not going to resign either of them. Another example of his mismanagement of assets. In George's mind, its a successful season if you make it into the playoffs, how you perform in the playoffs is inconsequential.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I could keep saying it until I'm blue in the face. Sign Girardi.

Forward-wise, it'll be hard to dump the dead-weight.

Disagree. I think you can move a number of players as long as your not so much interested in the return but rather the clearing of cap space, which will then allow you to pursue the likes of a Girardi.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
some guys to watch:
Paul Stastny
Patrick Marleau
Dion Phaneuf
Thomas Vanek

All guys who I think would be great to help fix this team.

Stastny - I still think he ends up in St. Louis
Phaneuf - after watching 24/7 and his dealing with the Leafs management, not a chance that he leaves TOML
Vanek - that he's starting to really gel with Tavaras and Okposo plus what Snow gave up for him, I'd have to think the Isles do whatever it takes to resign him

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Disagree. I think you can move a number of players as long as your not so much interested in the return but rather the clearing of cap space, which will then allow you to pursue the likes of a Girardi.

agree, you can unload at least two and buy out a third if you needed. The key honestly is getting a GM who would then be smarter with the money and filling needs.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
If he makes it to UFA, I think a $7M/year offer has about 100% chance of landing him.

In reality, if there's no regime change, I think there's a 0% chance the Caps land him.

$7M a year for Dan Girardi would be a ridiculous overpayment. He's not even close to being worth that.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
$7M a year for Dan Girardi would be a ridiculous overpayment. He's not even close to being worth that.

He's basically been a lock for 21+ minutes a game, 180 blocked shots and 25 points for the last 6 full seasons.

If you have to overpay by $1M-$1.5M to get exactly the type of player the Caps have needed for a decade, you do it. He's like a better, Canadian Dennis Seidenberg.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
He's basically been a lock for 21+ minutes a game, 180 blocked shots and 25 points for the last 6 full seasons.

If you have to overpay by $1M-$1.5M to get exactly the type of player the Caps have needed for a decade, you do it. He's like a better, Canadian Dennis Seidenberg.

That's why some competent GM will sign him. We are on the same page on this matter, it seems.

I have very few ideas :) Is Kulemin UFA? My last joker.

EDIT: 5,5M? Wideman got that. Girardi should do better. ****.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
That's why some competent GM will sign him. We are on the same page on this matter, it seems.

I have very few ideas :) Is Kulemin UFA? My last joker.

Kulemin is a UFA indeed. He'd be a deft signing if some of the winger depth is traded to shore up the defense. Similar to Grabo in that he goes hard and has above-average skill.

And yeah, I see Girardi approaching Suter's cap number.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
To drop Laich, Brouwer, Erat and Neuvirth... McPhee have to acknowledge that he failed numerous times in the short span of time.

If he understands that these guys are not the solution anymore he should try to trade them this deadline. Trading them for any hockey player wouldn't be much worse than current state of affairs.

Not much damage before next GM will step in, right? We can still dodge a big albatross I hope.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Jesus...I wouldn't pay more than $5 per, maybe $5.5 for Girardi. I'm guessing he resigns now that the Rangers don't have to pony up for the Del Zotto extension.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
BTW, overpaid and lazy Semin who has 20 points pace ATM had PPG just last season (44 points in 44 games).

I do not believe he is so bad that some trying to picture. He is injury-prone and overpaid and had a concussion but his current pace is getting better by the game.

We can pretend I wrote Vanek for 7-8M not Semin (OK, Vanek actually has 36 in 36 atm). But he is finesse softer player, partly european.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad