Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
That's why some competent GM will sign him. We are on the same page on this matter, it seems.

I have very few ideas :) Is Kulemin UFA? My last joker.

EDIT: 5,5M? Wideman got that. Girardi should do better. ****.

Wideman earned his ($5.25) off an all star season at least and is a more offensively talented guy. Girardi has scored double digit goals exactly once, 6 seasons ago.

I think $5.5 makes sense. More will be a desperation buy, which could very well happen if he's willing to go to a bad team.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
He's basically been a lock for 21+ minutes a game, 180 blocked shots and 25 points for the last 6 full seasons.

If you have to overpay by $1M-$1.5M to get exactly the type of player the Caps have needed for a decade, you do it. He's like a better, Canadian Dennis Seidenberg.

Honestly, I think Girardi is pretty overrated. He's spent his whole time in NY paired with either pre-injury Marc Staal or Ryan McDonagh, in a very defensive system, and in front of Lundqvist. That does a lot to cover up mistakes. His style of play also doesn't lend itself to a long, healthy career, so signing him to the long term contract he's sure to get as a 30 year old isn't very appealing.

I think it also says a lot that the Rangers, who always spend to the cap and have nearly 30M in cap room for next season, have already seemingly given up on resigning him. It sounds like his demands are pretty ****ing outrageous.

If we're going to sign a defenseman, I'd try MacDonald, although I'd rather avoid the big UFAs completely. With the cap going up the contracts they're going to get will be insane.

I sincerely doubt the return on Erat, Brouwer, Laich or Neuvirth is anything more than a comparably bad contract.

Erat and Laich, sure. But Brouwer and Neuvirth definitely have positive value.

Last edited:

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Honestly, I think Girardi is pretty overrated. He's spent his whole time in NY paired with either pre-injury Marc Staal or Ryan McDonagh, in a very defensive system, and in front of Lundqvist. That does a lot to cover up mistakes. His style of play also doesn't lend itself to a long, healthy career, so signing him to the long term contract he's sure to get as a 30 year old isn't very appealing.

I think it also says a lot that the Rangers, who always spend to the cap and have nearly 30M in cap room for next season, have already seemingly given up on resigning him. It sounds like his demands are pretty ****ing outrageous.

If we're going to sign a defenseman, I'd try MacDonald, although I'd rather avoid the big UFAs completely. With the cap going up the contracts they're going to get will be insane.

What realistic trade targets are out there?

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
What realistic trade targets are out there?

Depends on who we're making available and how the rest of the season goes. There are still a lot of Habs fans who like Brouwer for Gorges. If Canucks fans can be believed, Edler's available. If guys like Johansson or Orlov are on the block, I think there are a lot of options.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Depends on who we're making available and how the rest of the season goes. There are still a lot of Habs fans who like Brouwer for Gorges. If Canucks fans can be believed, Edler's available. If guys like Johansson or Orlov are on the block, I think there are a lot of options.

Like 25 minute guys?...which is what I think Girardi is. I'm asking not to be a ****** but because I have no idea.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Like 25 minute guys?...which is what I think Girardi is. I'm asking not to be a ****** but because I have no idea.

Edler gets 23+ minutes a night, Gorges gets just under 21. I don't think we need a new first pairing though. I'd settle for a 1A, 1B set up where each pairing plays ~22 a night, with a 3rd pairing that's not a rotating door of scraps and prospects and can play ~16 a night, and who can fill in up the lineup without being totally out of place.

To armchair GM for a bit, a Canucks fan offered Edler for Green, since they need a righty PP guy. Do that, sign Mark Fayne, then you've got this:

Alzner-Carlson
Edler-XXX
Orlov-Fayne

Shame Klein just got traded, because he would've been my first choice to fill Green's spot. Not sure who my next choice would be (honestly, I've been looking for lefties so long that everyone I can think of is a lefty), but if you're offering Johansson and Brouwer I think you could find someone decent.

Kulemin is the last player we need. His role is already filled by the likes of Laich, Brouwer and Ward. We need goalscorers, not grinders.

Kulemin scored 30 playing with Grabo a few years ago. He may not be that guy any more, but free him from the crazy hard minutes Carlyle has him playing (you know, the same ones he fed to Grabovski right before they bought him out?) and play him next to Grabo and I think he could be a 20-20 guy, which in our present state is nothing to scoff at. If he's cheap, say 2M or less, I'd gladly sign him. Worst case scenario you have a slightly expensive 4th liner who's great defensively.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Edler gets 23+ minutes a night, Gorges gets just under 21. I don't think we need a new first pairing though. I'd settle for a 1A, 1B set up where each pairing plays ~22 a night, with a 3rd pairing that's not a rotating door of scraps and prospects and can play ~16 a night, and who can fill in up the lineup without being totally out of place.

To armchair GM for a bit, a Canucks fan offered Edler for Green, since they need a righty PP guy. Do that, sign Mark Fayne, then you've got this:

Alzner-Carlson
Edler-XXX
Orlov-Fayne

Shame Klein just got traded, because he would've been my first choice to fill Green's spot. Not sure who my next choice would be (honestly, I've been looking for lefties so long that everyone I can think of is a lefty), but if you're offering Johansson and Brouwer I think you could find someone decent.

Kulemin scored 30 playing with Grabo a few years ago. He may not be that guy any more, but free him from the crazy hard minutes Carlyle has him playing (you know, the same ones he fed to Grabovski right before they bought him out?) and play him next to Grabo and I think he could be a 20-20 guy, which in our present state is nothing to scoff at. If he's cheap, say 2M or less, I'd gladly sign him. Worst case scenario you have a slightly expensive 4th liner who's great defensively.

I personally don't see how Green for Edler is an upgrade.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Slightly off subject, I was looking up all the trades McPbee has made in his history here and there were really very few that worked out in the Caps' favor. Very few. This exercise also really brought to light his meh 1st round drafts, because some of the trades could have been ultimately better with shrewder draft picks. I would say Eminger for 1st rounder (Carlson) was his best. The Chimera trade turned out pretty good, given Chris Clark's career trajectory at that point. Once upon a time some may have said the Valamov trade, but I would say now that Colorado makes that trade every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Ribiero for Eakin and a 2nd? At the time it looked reasonable, but Ribeiro left in free agency, Eakin has been a nice 3rd line center for the Stars, and a 2nd round pick is no chump change. Brouwer for a first? Would anyone now give up a first for Troy? Among the really stupid ones was giving up a second to move up two spots and take Anton Gustafsson.

My point is, and I think most here agree, is that it would be best for the Caps if the man does absolutely NOTHING until his contract runs out. Let the team tank.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Kulemin is the last player we need. His role is already filled by the likes of Laich, Brouwer and Ward. We need goalscorers, not grinders.

I can't agree. Kulemin is possibly 1st line player for Russian team in 2 weeks. Who can play at any other line too. Because he is not Laich or Brouwer.

He is a goalscorer. In the past at least.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
That's why some competent GM will sign him. We are on the same page on this matter, it seems.

I have very few ideas :) Is Kulemin UFA? My last joker.

EDIT: 5,5M? Wideman got that. Girardi should do better. ****.

Kulemin is a UFA indeed. He'd be a deft signing if some of the winger depth is traded to shore up the defense. Similar to Grabo in that he goes hard and has above-average skill.

And yeah, I see Girardi approaching Suter's cap number.

Yeah, Kulemin would be nice. Seems even somewhat realistic given Russian/Grabo connections..

Girardi would be great, but hard to see Caps outbidding everybody else for him. And even if they did outbid everybody, as much as they have (potential) cap space at the moment, it could be a scary cap hit.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I can't agree. Kulemin is possibly 1st line player for Russian team in 2 weeks. Who can play at any other line too. Because he is not Laich or Brouwer.

He is a goalscorer. In the past at least.

Yeah, Kulemin has skills. I don't know if he still has significant scoring potential, but for sure he should be a better a complement for skilled players, while doing the dirty work, as well.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
[/B]

I agree with this. GMGM with Dale at the helm, opted to hold on to both Semin and Wideman at the TDL knowing full well that he was not going to resign either of them. Another example of his mismanagement of assets. In George's mind, its a successful season if you make it into the playoffs, how you perform in the playoffs is inconsequential.

Yeah, for me that decision easily rivals the Forsberg trade fiasco.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Kulemin-Grabo-OV
Kuznetsov-Backstrom-Fehr
Chimera-Johansson-Ward
IDK-Latta-Barber :)

Wilson @ Hershey

Alzner-Carlson
IDK-Green
Orlov-Klein-type

Is Klesla still available for a little experiment?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

The guy is essentially an NHL Iron man...

Games played his 7 seasons so far....I don't expect him to suddenly start breaking down for no reason.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Prediction

1. How many consecutive loses will it take to get George fired.

I say 8. Do we hit it? I hope so.

Nothing happens before 10 IMO...Probably Oates first unless Leonsis finally has had enough when George approaches him to fire another coach.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Volchenkov was almost an Iron Man too before his last contract. But the writing was on the wall there at the time. Just as with Girardi nowadays.

IMHO

Volchenkov's games played over the same time isn't even close. Volchenkov averages 13 missed games a season.

57 1st NJ year

Girardi has missed 3 games in 7 seasons!!! That's pretty impressive for his style as you say. Agree to disagree that Girardi is going to suddenly start breaking down. If it happens, it appears it'll be a fluke injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->