Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Volchenkov's games played over the same time isn't even close. Volchenkov averages 13 missed games a season.

57 1st NJ year

Girardi has missed 3 games in 7 seasons!!! That's pretty impressive for his style as you say. Agree to disagree that Girardi is going to suddenly start breaking down. If it happens, it appears it'll be a fluke injury.

He is aging. I'd say there is a risk. But Girardi is more durable than Volchenkov.

But other factors are there too. He is in his prime and should want a maximum contract. That plus McPhee equals no deal.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Kulemin to me is a decent 2-way guy coming into his own. He scored 30 once yeah, 2.5 seasons ago. He's making $2.8 now. As an UFA he could get what, $4+? He's got buyer beware written all over him IMO. We need more skill IMO, not more of what he brings. Certainly wouldn't turn him down at a reasonable price, don't get me wrong, just not an offseason "answer" IMO. He's also on pace for a poor season right now in his big contract year. Danger Will Robinson....DANGER!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He is aging. I'd say there is a risk. But Girardi is more durable than Volchenkov.

But other factors are there too. He is in his prime and should want a maximum contract. That plus McPhee equals no deal.

Absolutely he's in his prime and will likely want the max he can get. This is his one big chance. But this isn't Chara or Suter, this is a good 1b/2a D. I guess NHL GM's have done more idiotic things than offer Girardi something like 6years for $42-45 mil or more.

Wouldn't be all that surprised, but I think he disappoints at anything over $5.5.

I certainly wasn't suggesting McPhee would be a buyer. At best he kicks the tires, checks the sticker and runs away after a lowball offer.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Absolutely he's in his prime and will likely want the max he can get. This is his one big chance. But this isn't Chara or Suter, this is a good 1b/2a D. I guess NHL GM's have done more idiotic things than offer Girardi something like 6years for $42-45 mil or more.

Wouldn't be all that surprised, but I think he disappoints at anything over $5.5.

I certainly wasn't suggesting McPhee would be a buyer. At best he kicks the tires, checks the sticker and runs away after a lowball offer.
With the cap going up I think Girardi is going to make more than 5.5 per if/when he hits free agency.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
With the cap going up I think Girardi is going to make more than 5.5 per if/when he hits free agency.

Yeah, again, I wouldn't be surprised. There's a cap floor to hit and a lot of stupid/desperate GM's with open checkbooks and salary cap to burn.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he was extended now that the Rangers have offloaded Del Zotto who was a RFA and due to earn raise from his $2.5 mil.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Prediction

1. How many consecutive loses will it take to get George fired.

I say 8. Do we hit it? I hope so.

8 was when GMGM and BB hit the panic button and went into a defensive shell in 2010, iirc. When they fired him he'd lost 8 of his previous 11 games (.273 winning %)

We're already beyond that in the last 11 games with 9 losses and a .182 winning %.

A streak may not be the thing. It doesn't matter if they win a game here or there at this stage. They can't keep winning just one out of every 4 or 5. If that keeps up, someone has to go.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
I personally don't see how Green for Edler is an upgrade.

Edler gets far less points, also can't defend, and still carries a hefty ($5M) cap hit until 2018-19.

He's about as much better defensively compared to Green as he is worse offensively, and he's cheaper, under team control longer, less injury prone, bigger, and meaner. If there wasn't a handedness issue for the Canucks they wouldn't be interested.

The guy is essentially an NHL Iron man...

Games played his 7 seasons so far....I don't expect him to suddenly start breaking down for no reason.

The threat isn't missing games, it's his play falling off. Guys like Volchenkov, Regehr (who only missed ~4 games a year with the Flames), Orpik, Doug Murray, maybe now Klesla, who rely on their body and their toughness, tend to start declining nowadays in their early 30s. Maybe Girardi beats those odds, but it's enough to make me even more hesitant about giving him a big contract.

Kulemin to me is a decent 2-way guy coming into his own. He scored 30 once yeah, 2.5 seasons ago. He's making $2.8 now. As an UFA he could get what, $4+? He's got buyer beware written all over him IMO. We need more skill IMO, not more of what he brings. Certainly wouldn't turn him down at a reasonable price, don't get me wrong, just not an offseason "answer" IMO. He's also on pace for a poor season right now in his big contract year. Danger Will Robinson....DANGER!

He's on pace for a poor season because he's playing some of the hardest minutes in the NHL. This means he's going to be undervalued, just like Grabovski was. He's on pace to finish the season with 25 points, so he's not going to get anywhere near 4+.

This is the Grabovski signing 2.0, with the added benefit that we have the guy he had insane chemistry with. I think he signs a similar one year "show me" contract for cheap, in which case we're going to get a real bargain.

Last edited:

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
8 was when GMGM and BB hit the panic button and went into a defensive shell in 2010, iirc. When they fired him he'd lost 8 of his previous 11 games (.273 winning %)

We're already beyond that in the last 11 games with 9 losses and a .182 winning %.

A streak may not be the thing. It doesn't matter if they win a game here or there at this stage. They can't keep winning just one out of every 4 or 5. If that keeps up, someone has to go.
Circumstances were different, under Boudreau there was the embarrassing sweep by the Lightning, the collapse against Montreal prior to that, and then he made comments about not being able to teach them to be mentally tough and the whole scandal with Ovechkin calling him a fat **** indicating he lost the locker room. It was early in the season and a coaching change was made to salvage the season.

Right now I don't think anything will happen unless we're solidly out of the playoff race, which means nothing will likely change until the offseason because the Caps will realistically probably stay at or near .500 and our division is not that good.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He's on pace for a poor season because he's playing some of the hardest minutes in the NHL. This means he's going to be undervalued, just like Grabovski was. He's on pace to finish the season with 25 points, so he's not going to get anywhere near 4+.

This is the Grabovski signing 2.0, with the added benefit that we have the guy he had insane chemistry with. I think he signs a similar one year "show me" contract for cheap, in which case we're going to get a real bargain.

He's already making $3 mil in salary this season. He's ALREADY near $4. An UFA isn't getting a raise? This isn't Grabovski 2.0 in any fashion IMO. He plays well in the Olympics and decent down the stretch and he's signing for good $, not some cut rate 1 year deal.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
He's already making $3 mil in salary this season. He's ALREADY near $4. An UFA isn't getting a raise? This isn't Grabovski 2.0 in any fashion IMO. He plays well in the Olympics and decent down the stretch and he's signing for good $, not some cut rate 1 year deal.

2.8 is not nearly 4. Sure, if he turns it up down the stretch he could get more, but if he keeps up the pace and finishes with 25 points, he's not going to generate a huge amount of interest. If he's confident he can put up better numbers in a better situation and earn a bigger contract - like Grabo was - and if he thinks playing with Grabo is his best bet to do that, why wouldn't he sign a 1 year deal with us? I think that's more likely than him suddenly turning it on and earning a big contract while playing the same minutes he's been playing all year.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
2.8 is not nearly 4. Sure, if he turns it up down the stretch he could get more, but if he keeps up the pace and finishes with 25 points, he's not going to generate a huge amount of interest. If he's confident he can put up better numbers in a better situation and earn a bigger contract - like Grabo was - and if he thinks playing with Grabo is his best bet to do that, why wouldn't he sign a 1 year deal with us? I think that's more likely than him suddenly turning it on and earning a big contract while playing the same minutes he's been playing all year.

One problem is that after a "25 point season", McPhee/whoever might not see him as an upgrade over Laich/Brouwer...

If the Caps seriously went after him, I imagine they'd have a good chance to sign him..

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

His salary is $3 mil this year. Just want to clarify. His Cap hit is 2.8.

I don't see him being forced to accept a 1 year deal.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Kulemin played 3rd line with Grabovski. Grabovski had a down year.

Lets not give jackass Oates any chance to ruin Grabovski.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I sincerely doubt the return on Erat, Brouwer, Laich or Neuvirth is anything more than a comparably bad contract.

That $15M number is with Brouwer, Laich and Neuvirth. I don't think they'd have any trouble getting rid of either one of Brouwer or Neuvirth if they wanted to. They're healthy and their contracts aren't debilitating. It might only be modest futures, but I doubt they'd have to take on salary.

Laich's an interesting case. If he stays healthy and regains the form he's shown in flashes the last 10-15 games, he'll have a lot of value. If not, he's untradeable.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
One problem is that after a "25 point season", McPhee/whoever might not see him as an upgrade over Laich/Brouwer...

If the Caps seriously went after him, I imagine they'd have a good chance to sign him..

Why would they? You typically pay for production. What would we be paying for, intangibles? Kulemin is more of what we have too much of already. Now if we jettison some similar guys, would make sense.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Honestly, I think Girardi is pretty overrated. He's spent his whole time in NY paired with either pre-injury Marc Staal or Ryan McDonagh, in a very defensive system, and in front of Lundqvist. That does a lot to cover up mistakes. His style of play also doesn't lend itself to a long, healthy career, so signing him to the long term contract he's sure to get as a 30 year old isn't very appealing.

I think it also says a lot that the Rangers, who always spend to the cap and have nearly 30M in cap room for next season, have already seemingly given up on resigning him. It sounds like his demands are pretty ****ing outrageous.

If we're going to sign a defenseman, I'd try MacDonald, although I'd rather avoid the big UFAs completely. With the cap going up the contracts they're going to get will be insane.

Erat and Laich, sure. But Brouwer and Neuvirth definitely have positive value.
Disagree with you on Girardi. The possession stats reflect very favorably on him and he plays very, very tough minutes. I think he's the rock that carried Staal and allowed McDonagh to blossom.

Ridiculous demands read to me that he wants to test the market.

And what has to be kept in mind about his cap number is that the Cap will likely be at least $71M, so $6M+ for him isn't the same as $6M+ for someone in previous summers.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Erat + Carrick for E. Kane.

Sorry I added Carrick. I know lots here like him. We need a scorer and I think Kane could be that.

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Prediction

1. How many consecutive loses will it take to get George fired.

I say 8. Do we hit it? I hope so.

9th game is against Buffalo. No chance of winning that unless Miller is traded by then. :laugh:

Girardi's asking price will be 6m+ if he hits the open market, and i'm pretty sure he will get that somewhere.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Why would they? You typically pay for production. What would we be paying for, intangibles? Kulemin is more of what we have too much of already. Now if we jettison some similar guys, would make sense.

Kulemin is more of what we have already? How is that?

He is left handed skilled power forward who is good at defense at the same time. Is he like Johansson? Or Fehr? Or Laich? Or Chimera?

I think he is a kind of forward to play opposite to OV. We don't have such a player atm. IMHO.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Kulemin is more of what we have already? How is that?

He is left handed skilled power forward who is good at defense at the same time. Is he like Johansson? Or Fehr? Or Laich? Or Chimera?

I think he is a kind of forward to play opposite to OV. We don't have such a player atm. IMHO.

Skilled power forward by what definition, size only? Are we talking about the same player? He's not very gritty (low PIMs). He's only 7th on the Leafs in hits. He's had one good season offensively, very similar to the production a Laich or Erat has returned in multiple years each. He's in the same class (mind you not the exact same game/skillset) of at least some of our middle 6 forwards IMO (probably towards the low end at that). I'd prefer to see a lot more skill on Ovy's opposite wing myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->