Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halpysback*

If this is the most effective they can be with this roster makeup how were they more effective when Troy Brouwer was on that line a couple years ago? He's still on the team isn't he?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Great so let's use the past to justify their ineffectiveness.

Actually I'm using the present...the one that includes Ovechkin with a 7g lead over the closest active player and Backstrom tied for 3rd in the NHL in points. And I'm not justifying anything, just presenting the facts.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You're right, there's no way you could put together 3 middling players, say a Jason Chimera, Mikhail Grabovski, and Joel Ward and have a good even strength line :sarcasm:

Just curious, what is that "rest of the time" that they dominate at? The time that's NOT at even strength? Seems super relevant when we're talking about even strength. Since we're skipping all logic and going straight to non-sequiturs does them dominating at NHL '14 count as well?

They already have the right winger for that line but apparently trying him is "line shuffle garbage". If they get another winger, play him out of position, then give him a couple games there and he does not click, will that be "line shuffle garbage" as well?

Grabo is a middling player? I thought he was our 2C. I'm talking about their production when I say they're dominating, not a specific aspect of the game. Nobody is denying the 5v5 struggles they and the team have.

What will you obsess on next if they swap Backstrom and Grabo for 10 games and they suck still? More line shuffle garbage or fix the roster like I suggest?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
George can't win. He overpays Neuvy and he is still unhappy.

Do all teams have so many discontent players?

All the players agents will be lining up to tell George how to play his players after Erat and Orlov's seem to do the trick.

We have busted on Gandler over the years, but his words got Orlov a spot on our team. Other agents took notice, I am sure.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
which chimera and ward are we talking about? the one that with grabovski is a really strong line or the chimera and ward that EVERYONE on this forum wanted dumped off the team when the season started THIS season?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
which chimera and ward are we talking about? the one that with grabovski is a really strong line or the chimera and ward that EVERYONE on this forum wanted dumped off the team when the season started THIS season?

You lost the bet in less than 24 hours.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
George can't win. He overpays Neuvy and he is still unhappy.

Do all teams have so many discontent players?

All the players agents will be lining up to tell George how to play his players after Erat and Orlov's seem to do the trick.

We have busted on Gandler over the years, but his words got Orlov a spot on our team. Other agents took notice, I am sure.

So since the end of last season, three players wanted out. Is that a record?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
So since the end of last season, three players wanted out. Is that a record?

It seems like George always has one in the dog house.

3 before the turn of the new year must be a record. These are just 3 we have heard off. Sarge had requested a trade and we did not hear about it until months later.

It is a sign of a very poorly assembled team or a bad coach or both. We are in year 15 and he is still grooming D and Gs that need to play, that are good enough to play.

Who is next? I wonder about Schilling.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Who is next? I wonder about Schilling.
Urbom likely wishes he was anywhere else.

Seriously, what's the last instance of a player wanting out anywhere else in the NHL? Erat in Nashville, which only went public after the fact? It seems like the only place where this has happened this year--and 3x at that--is Washington.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Seriously, what's the last instance of a player wanting out anywhere else in the NHL? Erat in Nashville, which only went public after the fact? It seems like the only place where this has happened this year--and 3x at that--is Washington.

This is what I've been wondering...are we only thinking this because we get it from the local hockey media, and such stories about other teams don't break nationally? Or is DC really the epicenter of player dissatisfaction through the media?

I'm not sure if it's due to regionalism or not, but it sure seems like the Caps have a big problem with guys asking out over the years and with former players trashing some aspect of the organization.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It would break nationally if it happened on other clubs. Friedman, McKenzie, Dreger, Spector and the like would pick it up. It's hard to believe there aren't similar situations of disgruntled players elsewhere but they never seem to actually go public.

It's on McPhee. Erat's inital request was not public. He only went public after there had been no action taken. There's a lack of communication or trust or both between management and the player(s) that results in opting for the media's megaphone. It's a way of forcing GMGM's hand and speeding up the process but Erat & Neuvirth both should have been made clear that the market for their services is not exactly booming.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
Actually I'm using the present...the one that includes Ovechkin with a 7g lead over the closest active player and Backstrom tied for 3rd in the NHL in points. And I'm not justifying anything, just presenting the facts.

Except little of that has to do with them at even strength. Backstrom is 3rd because he is lethal on the PP and Ovechkin is only scoring at ES from #19 when he wins a faceoff and rifles it.

Halpysback*

Grabo is a middling player? I thought he was our 2C. I'm talking about their production when I say they're dominating, not a specific aspect of the game. Nobody is denying the 5v5 struggles they and the team have.

What will you obsess on next if they swap Backstrom and Grabo for 10 games and they suck still? More line shuffle garbage or fix the roster like I suggest?

Something else because they won't be sucking as bad at even strength on account of it not being POSSIBLE. Them dominating has absolutely nothing to do with their play at even strength where they are being dominated. Are you saying splitting them up at ES is going to make them forget how to play together on the PP?

It's dumb to splurge assets "fixing" the roster when you already have a potential fix and you refuse to even give it a chance. Putting together different lines is as easy as writing names on a dry erase board. Trades can take months to execute and backfire horribly. So what do we do, trade for another Erat, stick him as a 3LD and refuse to put him in any position he could be successful in because it would be "line shuffling garbage"? Because "fix the roster" is a copout answer. Let's also "win a cup" while we're at it.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

According to Halpysback, all that's needed to right the ship and win the Stanley Cup is moving Grabovski to the top line. That should magically keep Ovechkin at his pace AND turn Mojo into a competent puck retrieving, good on the boards W that the top line needs. Apparently that move also fixes the D and chases the ghosts of decades worth of failures away. ;)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Meh. He's cashing a regular NHL paycheck for the first time in his career. Probably pretty content with that, for now. It's not like he'd be any better off in New Jersey.

Fiddler asked out of Dallas earlier this season.

Halpysback*

Nooo, it's fine cause Backstrom is 4th in the league in points!!! (because of the powerplay to anyone that's watching).

Top line needs a makeover. Just switch Backstrom and Grabovski. Or switch Fehr and Mojo (though I don't like Mojo at wing period).

We can't. Remember, if your lineup is failing at something, the dumbest thing you can do is change things around to address that specific failure. Top line needs a better puck retrieval/along the boards guy? Last thing you should do is pick out the best puck retrieval/along the boards guy you have and put him there. Mojo better at C than at W? Whatever you do don't put him at C on another line, that's "line shuffle garbage". Keep Erat at C since he's never played C in his life. Remember, the proper course of action is to keep failing lines exactly the same while pining about how it should be better and suggesting to "fix the roster". What are you, in college brah?

I'm just happy we didn't stick Erskine with Green and use that as our top pairing. Suggesting to break that up would probably be classified as "roster shuffling garbage" too.

Halpysback*

According to Halpysback, all that's needed to right the ship and win the Stanley Cup is moving Grabovski to the top line. That should magically keep Ovechkin at his pace AND turn Mojo into a competent puck retrieving, good on the boards W that the top line needs. Apparently that move also fixes the D and chases the ghosts of decades worth of failures away. ;)

No, you're right, we should "fix" "it" instead.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
images

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If you knew anything, you'd be in the game (instead of suggesting redundant fixes that have been tried many times before) You might also look at the roster and see that it's faulty. ;)

Kegger

Apr 23, 2002
Texas
Move Fehr on a line with Backstrom-Ovy, reward the guy.

Is it just me, or is there anyone else that wants to find a way to get Nate Schmidt back up here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad