Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halpysback*

If you knew anything, you'd be in the game

Appeals to authority, nice. Keep them straws coming.

(instead of suggesting redundant fixes that have been tried many times before) You might also look at the roster and see that it's faulty. ;)

Yes, like all those times Erat was tried at RW, or Erat-Grabovski-Ovechkin/Ovechkin-Grabovski-Erat has been tried. Didn't we have an Ovechkin-Backstrom-Brouwer line that did decent at ES a couple years back while still having all those players on the roster. Nah, can't be. Can't risk ruining the magic that has Ovechkin with one ES assist all season and Backstorm assisting on like 3 of his ESGs off the faceoff :sarcasm:

But you're right, the proper approach isn't to try to put players together based on their strengths and required playstyles, but put them into positions to fail then ***** about how much they suck and how we need to "fix" "it" (nice concrete idea there). I guess that's why you're in the game and I'm not :sarcasm:

Halpysback*

Move Fehr on a line with Backstrom-Ovy, reward the guy.

Is it just me, or is there anyone else that wants to find a way to get Nate Schmidt back up here...

Can't. Line shuffling garbage is lame brah. Didn't you get the memo.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
I'm not sold that Gandler had anything to do with Orlov getting promoted and I don't understand why Stefan or Neuvy think they have any leverage at all. I like Neuvy but he hasn't exactly wowed anybody with his play. There are probably 20 other young goalies just like him out there with a lower cap hit. I do hope they trade him but it will be on GM's timetable - not when some snotty agent wants him traded.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't think neuvirth thinks he has any leverage. he is the 3rd goalie in a 2 goal world. he will never play hockey again until there is an injury to one of the other two or he gets to another team.

Has he said something other than "I want to be a #1 goalie in the NHL. If not here then somewhere else"??

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
We can't. Remember, if your lineup is failing at something, the dumbest thing you can do is change things around to address that specific failure. Top line needs a better puck retrieval/along the boards guy? Last thing you should do is pick out the best puck retrieval/along the boards guy you have and put him there. Mojo better at C than at W? Whatever you do don't put him at C on another line, that's "line shuffle garbage". Keep Erat at C since he's never played C in his life. Remember, the proper course of action is to keep failing lines exactly the same while pining about how it should be better and suggesting to "fix the roster". What are you, in college brah?

I'm just happy we didn't stick Erskine with Green and use that as our top pairing. Suggesting to break that up would probably be classified as "roster shuffling garbage" too.

Finally, you're getting it.

Attachments

• pegs-and-holes.jpg
    pegs-and-holes.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 1

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Appeals to authority, nice. Keep them straws coming.

Yes, like all those times Erat was tried at RW, or Erat-Grabovski-Ovechkin/Ovechkin-Grabovski-Erat has been tried. Didn't we have an Ovechkin-Backstrom-Brouwer line that did decent at ES a couple years back while still having all those players on the roster. Nah, can't be. Can't risk ruining the magic that has Ovechkin with one ES assist all season and Backstorm assisting on like 3 of his ESGs off the faceoff :sarcasm:

But you're right, the proper approach isn't to try to put players together based on their strengths and required playstyles, but put them into positions to fail then ***** about how much they suck and how we need to "fix" "it" (nice concrete idea there). I guess that's why you're in the game and I'm not :sarcasm:

I love how you're suggesting Brouwer is the answer because he's been SO damned fantastic so far this year. EVEN MORE SO AT 5v5, which you're fixated on.

Maybe you're right though and you put Brouwer there with some magic beans and THIS time it will all be different right Jack?

Maybe banished Marty Erat of ZERO goals in his last 40+ games is the Golden Goose instead, or maybe it's all BS grasping at straws?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm now convinced that Erat is tanking as suspected. Even horrible players manage to make a few good plays or pot a goal here and there. It takes a bit more skill and control to consistently LOOK like you're moving around where you're supposed to be while not actually doing anything (or maybe turning the puck over when you do get it).

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm now convinced that Erat is tanking as suspected. Even horrible players manage to make a few good plays or pot a goal here and there. It takes a bit more skill and control to consistently LOOK like you're moving around where you're supposed to be while not actually doing anything (or maybe turning the puck over when you do get it).

You're miserable at your new job, your performance is bound to suffer. Human nature. Seems like too much of the consummate pro-type player to be doing it on purpose.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
You're miserable at your new job, your performance is bound to suffer. Human nature. Seems like too much of the consummate pro-type player to be doing it on purpose.

Consummate pro-type players demand trades through the media? Twice in 8 months?

This may be Erat's "Operation Shutdown".

Halpysback*

I love how you're suggesting Brouwer is the answer because he's been SO damned fantastic so far this year. EVEN MORE SO AT 5v5, which you're fixated on.

Maybe you're right though and you put Brouwer there with some magic beans and THIS time it will all be different right Jack?

Maybe banished Marty Erat of ZERO goals in his last 40+ games is the Golden Goose instead, or maybe it's all BS grasping at straws?

Brouwer's worked there before. Makes no sense not to try him there again, though I guess some think the amazing chemistry the top line is showing is worth preserving. Erat is better than Mojo at puck retrieval and boardwork, has playmaking skills and plays a fast game. Those work well with Ovechkin on paper. There are these things called chemistry and complementary playstyles that factor into how well lines perform. Though to know that you'd actually need to follow and have a basic understanding of the sport beyond "fix it".

fsnoles98

Mar 16, 2009
This team is terribly put together. Oates is unable to keep lines together because of a lack of consistency, the defense has been a train wreck for 5-6 years now. GMGM has no clue of if he is coming or going. You have 3 guys requesting a trade, why? Because the organization is a train wreck thanks to upper management. You think Snyder is bad, take a look at what Ted as brought to DC. This team is the laughing stock of the NHL and boy genius lets McPhee run it into the ground, so sad.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Looking at Erskines Corsi stats, over his last 10 games he has 2 that are 50% or better. One was against the Sabres, the other against the Flames in October.

Schmidt had 6 in his last 10.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Urbom likely wishes he was anywhere else.

Seriously, what's the last instance of a player wanting out anywhere else in the NHL? Erat in Nashville, which only went public after the fact? It seems like the only place where this has happened this year--and 3x at that--is Washington.
Dany Heatley and Rick Nash come to mind right away, but those were a little while ago. I believe Bernier may have requested one as well.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
What about this:

Trade Erat for a mid-second.
Trade Neuvirth for NYI's second (maybe a little plus from our side).

Use these picks at the deadline or just trade two of them for a late first on the draft day.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
What about this:

Trade Erat for a mid-second.
Trade Neuvirth for NYI's second (maybe a little plus from our side).

Use these picks at the deadline or just trade two of them for a late first on the draft day.

Very optimistic about rest

Very optimistic about erat IMO. He's suppose to produce and doesn't. Does a team trade a second for the potential of erat playing RW?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Consummate pro-type players demand trades through the media? Twice in 8 months?

This may be Erat's "Operation Shutdown".

Just going off the comments from his Nashville time. #2 leader in the room behind Weber. Good employee sometimes leave, doesn't make them unprofessional. So you think he's purposely playing poorly? Seems counterintuitive to me if he wants out. Play better and there are more options for him.

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
Given that I don't see GMGM and team making any major moves during the season, I would at least like to see some things tried:

Ovi - Grabo - Erat
Fehr - Backstrom - Ward
Chimera - Johansson - Brouwer
Volpatti - Beagle/Latta - Wilson

Alzner - Green
Orlov - Carlson
Schmidt/Urbom - Oleksy

Then again that forward line-up might give Oates convulsions. Flip Brouwer and Ward if you really don't want to split up Ward and Chimera.

Edit: I like Erskine, I really do. But he's largely a disaster out there right now. Urbom is more mobile and brings more to the table (though I would still prefer Schmidt). I realize that's a young defense, but Erskine is not helping the defense. This is all just IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad