Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLI *(Poll added 2/12)*

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReggietheSavage15

Feb 27, 2008
if all it's going to take is chimera/hillen/packet of mumbo sauce + a 2nd to get Kane, then we need to get on it.

I REALLY think he'd fall in line here in DC.

*edit*

It's either you believe it or you don't, but I 100% feel as though there is a lot of vitriol directed at Kane because of who he is. There was a PD article by Harrison Mooney, from a few years back, that alluded to this. Media has been unkind, and at times, unfair towards Kane. Granted he sometimes brings a lot of unwanted attention to himself, and I'm not excusing it, but I do think race is in play when discussing (partly) why things have gone sour for him in Winnipeg.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Who on earth was happy with that pick with Dylan Larkin on the board?
A lot of people wanted Fabbri at the time.

Vrana has produced really well in the SHL for his age but he's not a natural Trotz type player. He's going to need a lot of work physically and defensively to make it.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1697811

Seems like pretty much everyone was ok with it. Actually, as I reread, I'm not seeing anything about anybody wanting Larkin? Thanks for answering the question though

That's the thread where everyone tried to convince themselves that an unchangeable reality was actually a good thing for the sake of their mental well being.

This is the one you want.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1697077&page=3

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
if all it's going to take is chimera/hillen/packet of mumbo sauce + a 2nd to get Kane, then we need to get on it.

I REALLY think he'd fall in line here in DC.

*edit*

It's either you believe it or you don't, but I 100% feel as though there is a lot of vitriol directed at Kane because of who he is. There was a PD article by Harrison Mooney, from a few years back, that alluded to this. Media has been unkind, and at times, unfair towards Kane. Granted he sometimes brings a lot of unwanted attention to himself, and I'm not excusing it, but I do think race is in play when discussing (partly) why things have gone sour for him in Winnipeg.

Well I'm like 110% certain there are teams that would blow that theoretical package away.

Depending on the cost it could be worth it to take the risk. Again his skillset is extremely enticing. I wouldn't trade Bura, Kuz, Brouwer or Wilson in any package for him however. Nor would I think of moving any of our D. MJ is the only one I can think of along with a cap dump and a top pick or prospect.

Even that would carry enormous risk. Kane has also been injured this year. Apparently his wrist. Thats not good for a playoff run.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
If roster assets aren't moving out, I'm fine giving him some time to get his wrist right.

Winnipeg is in playoff position. I seriously doubt they trade him without a solid roster player coming back. Would you do that if you were Winnipeg?

I'm sure there are plenty of teams who would offer one.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Winnipeg is in playoff position. I seriously doubt they trade him without a solid roster player coming back. Would you do that if you were Winnipeg?

Selling him for futures opens up a lot of cap space and adds to an already strong farm system. They could add a lot from deadline sellers.

To an extent the risk of that not panning out is a moot point as it looks like they're effectively cutting ties with him regardless.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Selling him for futures opens up a lot of cap space and adds to an already strong farm system. They could add a lot from deadline sellers.

To an extent the risk of that not panning out is a moot point as it looks like they're effectively cutting ties with him regardless.

Yeah true. But why would they play middleman when they dont have to? i.e. trading Kane for futures and then trading futures for help now?

They could just trade Kane for help now and there would be plenty of teams willing to do that.

Besides the Caps would have to shed significant salary if they wanted him. He makes like $5+ right?

If the price really is just one single top asset (or a roster player and a 1st) then thats far more palatable than Brouwer+Chimera+Wilson+1st

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Hard to say without knowing what they have in the pipeline and who's ready to step up.

I agree you don't move any of our young roster guys mentioned earlier. This is a Huet type situation. If it falls in your lap for anything close to the right price, you do it.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Hard to say without knowing what they have in the pipeline and who's ready to step up.

I agree you don't move any of our young roster guys mentioned earlier. This is a Huet type situation. If it falls in your lap for anything close to the right price, you do it.

Well judging by what their situation is from afar its hard to know but I'd venture they would want at least a young roster player back (ie MJ) than can help them make the playoffs this year.

I would imagine alot of teams that want him are pressed against the cap so they'd want to return salary back anyhow so that would mean a roster player must be involved.

No way I'd move Bura/Kuz/Wilson however. MJ+Chimera (pending his limited NTC) makes sense b/c it clears the cap space for him next year as well. Am I convinced that Kane would help us more than MJ this year? No I'm not.

ReggietheSavage15

Feb 27, 2008
Only reason why Kane wouldn't help us more this year (compared to Johansson) is because of his injury.

But this has been a career year for Johansson so far, so who knows if it's an anomaly, or if he's trending upwards.

Overall, I think Kane is a much better player.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Hock...nd+rounder+prospect+Petry/10790226/story.html
*The Caps are really desperate for a RW to play with Alex Ovechkin, who’ll probably get 50 again, and centre Nick Backstrom on the first line, and have tried seven different ones there. The rental market for UFA’s Drew Stafford or Chris Stewart in Buffalo or Michael Ryder in Jersey makes the most sense (a second-round pick seems about right and maybe a prospect). The one they crave is Arizona captain Shane Doan but Maloney says he’s untouchable, and at $5.5 mil next year at 39 probably too expensive....

*Wonder if Carolina GM Ron Francis called Washington to see if they’d want Alex Semin back if they picked up some of the $21 million left on his contract after this season, and the Caps had a contract they’d like to excise from their payroll....

*I think the Caps would trade Jason Chimera, 36 in May — a heckuva soldier, but a fourth-liner now and playing, some nights, fewer than 10 minutes a game. It’s always bugged me that the Oilers didn’t know what they had with Chimera after drafting him, casting him aside for two draft picks. He’s played more than 830 NHL games. He should have been a long-term Oiler.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Only reason why Kane wouldn't help us more this year (compared to Johansson) is because of his injury.

But this has been a career year for Johansson so far, so who knows if it's an anomaly, or if he's trending upwards.

Overall, I think Kane is a much better player.

Well yeah thats kinda the point. But really I wouldn't say Kane is "much" better.

Both fast. Kane the better scorer and MJ the better playmaker. MJ has more hockey sense and Kane more physical.

I value the face punching and physicality more than most so I give Kane the edge.

I want nothing to do with Stewart and Ryder.

Stafford is just meh. We already have Brouwer who's like him but probably better defensively.

Semin is just not going to happen. Even at 50% thats still $3.5 mil for the next 2 years for a player who isn't liked by some of the key leaders in the locker room.

I give 4 thumbs down to these guys.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
If you don't want to pay Johansson ~4m long-term, chances are you don't want to pay Kane over 5m per year either. They are very close to each other, Kane propably has slightly more potential but that turns upside down when you consider that they are heading to different directions. One downhill and the other is having good year.

Neither one can't be trusted to carry their line, so if Kane is acquired then you'll have to move him from LW to RW and hope he works with Ovechkin and Backstrom.

As for that article, i wouldn't really want Stewart or Ryder at all. I'd be open to Stafford if it was for marginal piece (Buffalo's 3rd pick) and without losing any roster assets (some salary retained, and Erskine heading the other way). They'll propably have better offers on the table.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Agree with the doubts re: the RWs listed there.

To me it's Justin Williams at the top if he does become available. Even if he's older and maybe a little slower, the Cup experience would be valuable. Rutherford would probably go after him heavily but I'd hope the Caps are in on it.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

To me it's Justin Williams at the top if he does become available. Even if he's older and maybe a little slower, the Cup experience would be valuable. Rutherford would probably go after him heavily but I'd hope the Caps are in on it.

What're they gonna do...flip Perron?

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Zoidberg

I think you miss my point. I feel those players mentioned got unfairly persecuted. They were only guilty in the court of public perception and were not healthy scratched on multiple occassions due to violating team rules.

Yup, totally misinterpreted what you said. Sorry bout that.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Yeah since the dawn of the Crosby era the Pens have been in on every single top 6 winger mentioned. Kuniz, Guerin, Hossa, Iginla, Jagr (again now), etc I wouldn't be surprised if they tried hard.

Again I agree on Williams. But deep down we all know thats a pipe dream. LA is going to keep him and ride him through to try and make the post season. Things would have to turn south in a drastic way for him to become available.

RE: Jagr

Rids brought this up before and the fit is perfect. The cost would be reasonable.

But would Ted really want the circus? Re-open that wound? Would the fans revolt due to his last stint here? Would the team want the distraction and all the stories that will come out from his first time here?

I have no idea.

Yup, totally misinterpreted what you said. Sorry bout that.

No biggie. In the end I'm not opposed to Kane but the price would have to be right and not what was thrown out in the link on Japers earlier today.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
Even though a part of me would like to see Jagr on the topline, **** him. He sandbagged it here and should never be welcomed back.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I want nothing to do with Stewart and Ryder.

Stafford is just meh. We already have Brouwer who's like him but probably better defensively.

Semin is just not going to happen. Even at 50% thats still $3.5 mil for the next 2 years for a player who isn't liked by some of the key leaders in the locker room.

I give 4 thumbs down to these guys.

List of BobRouse-approved trade targets:
Justin Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad