Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLI *(Poll added 2/12)*

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I'd rather gamble on Kane @ $5.25 for a few years than give that deal to Brouwer in January.

Brouwer + a pick for Kane in the offseason or Brouwer, Chimera, picks for Kane now.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I'd take Kane, he's got the toughness as well. always been a cap killer I feel like. I have a feeling he ends up with the Pens cause, just cause.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I'd rather gamble on Kane @ $5.25 for a few years than give that deal to Brouwer in January.

Brouwer + a pick for Kane in the offseason or Brouwer, Chimera, picks for Kane now.

I think moving Brouwer at this time might be detrimental to locker room dynamics. Not the same case with Chimera, after seeing his reaction to the camera man during the Epix taping after being told that he was a scratch, he's probably real "butt hurt" after the latest scratch. Wonder what his relationship might be like now with Trotz.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Kane's numbers are less impressive than I thought. Is he really that much better than Brouwer?

His physical game I like.

Prefer they get a C.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I think moving Brouwer at this time might be detrimental to locker room dynamics. Not the same case with Chimera, after seeing his reaction to the camera man during the Epix taping after being told that he was a scratch, he's probably real "butt hurt" after the latest scratch. Wonder what his relationship might be like now with Trotz.

I tend to agree. Kane is an interesting piece if he is still available in June. I think the forwards will be remade this offseason...especially after Trotz sees firsthand what Johansson and Brouwer have to offer in the postseason.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Change Burakovsky to Vrana and I'm good with that.
Even if the price has fallen, I imagine they can get more than a recent first rounder, a struggling $2M forward signed for another year and a $2M cap dump that might never play again. They can probably find a team that wouldn't require them to take on 2 cap dumps like that. The Caps would have to provide some extra incentive for the Jets to take them. Vrana + conditional 2nd rounder (1st if Caps make ECF) + Chimera + Erskine might get them thinking.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Change Burakovsky to Vrana and I'm good with that.

I agree on Brouwer.

Winnipeg will want someone who can help them now. They are in the playoff mix.

I could see them wanting Bura but definitely not Vrana.

FYI

Kane is averaging 1.1 ESP per 60 minutes.

Evander Kane 13 ESP in 37 games
Troy Brouwer 17 ESP in 51 games

Kane is really struggling this year. He also may have some injury issues as reported.

Last edited:

Jackstrom19

Jun 5, 2012
How has Vrana been playing since we drafted him? Has his stock gone up/down? Are will still happy with that pick?

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I tend to agree. Kane is an interesting piece if he is still available in June. I think the forwards will be remade this offseason...especially after Trotz sees firsthand what Johansson and Brouwer have to offer in the postseason.

Based on some speculation in a few messages above regarding what MAJO might garner as an RFA, I know you and I are in agreement in not having any heartburn in him being moved out after this season.

Say a MAJO/Vrana for Kane :dunno:

First line next season might look like Ovie - Backstrom - Kane

Figure Ward departs so they would look at Burakovsky as the RW on the second line, Brouwer on the third line (Laich - Fehr - Brouwer)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
For the Kane discussion:

I was going to mention "motivated seller" earlier but forgot. This could be a "buy low" moment. Especially if the rumor BR mentioned about race is the big issue. I'm reluctant to push that angle since there's probably no way to confirm it, but the possibility is interesting.

If Kane is really done in WPG then they will probably take whatever they can get. How many teams are likely in the mix? "One top asset" could mean a single 1st or 2nd round pick. So Chimmer and a 2nd? Mojo and a pick? T-bro and a pick? I'm sure there could be some cap wangling.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Based on some speculation in a few messages above regarding what MAJO might garner as an RFA, I know you and I are in agreement in not having any heartburn in him being moved out after this season.

Figure Ward departs so they would look at Burakovsky as the RW on the second line, Brouwer on the third line (Laich - Fehr - Brouwer)

not saying that he couldn't play RW but isn't Kane a LW? Did we really fill a hole by signing Kane and moving mojo and Vrana?

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Interesting, via stats.hockeyanalysis.com - Kane's possession stats fall when he's with Scheifele or Wheeler - and so do Scheifele/Wheeler's. Sum is less than the parts.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Jets would take it and run if they were offered Johansson and Vrana for Kane.

Interesting, via stats.hockeyanalysis.com - Kane's possession stats fall when he's with Scheifele or Wheeler - and so do Scheifele/Wheeler's. Sum is less than the parts.

I noticed that too. Was wondering that why he plays with Scheifele that much if it's clearly not working. On ES Scheifele is his 2nd most frequent line-mate (40.2%), only behind Big Buff (41.2%).

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I was going to mention "motivated seller" earlier but forgot. This could be a "buy low" moment. Especially if the rumor BR mentioned about race is the big issue. I'm reluctant to push that angle since there's probably no way to confirm it, but the possibility is interesting.

If Kane is really done in WPG then they will probably take whatever they can get. How many teams are likely in the mix? "One top asset" could mean a single 1st or 2nd round pick. So Chimmer and a 2nd? Mojo and a pick? T-bro and a pick? I'm sure there could be some cap wangling.

Yeah I don't put much stock into the "race card" rumors but they are out there.

I wouldn't trade Brouwer. If we get Kane we'd need Brouwer to help keep him in line.

MJ+Chimera+Vrana/1st I have to admit would be VERY intriguing and perhaps worth the risk.

His skillset is undeniable.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

I'm not opposed to moving Johansson in the right deal but I do want to see how he performs this postseason. I think we could get more for him.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
That's a brutal deal. I wouldn't move MoJo for Kane.

Chimera/Hillen/whatever and a 2nd.

right, agreed.

I'm not so eager to move Vrana for anyone (or the other kids) unless it's a packaged definite big return type of deal. A player like Pavelski for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad