Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part LX (FA Frenzy 2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Holtby is arbitration eligible. The Caps will simply take him to arbitration if they have to, which prevents other teams from offer sheeting him.

There is some time window to file it AFAIR. What is it?

Where is sk8erbot?! :)

Anyway... not signing Holtby is a big danger. And will be surely used as the reason to do nothing.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Semin is only motivated around Russians? :laugh:

Well we don't have a major sample size these days but he played his butt off here and has question marks about his motivation. Maybe it's money? I do remember after the one year deals he used to receive he was usually trying to get that multi year deal.

We also know he was shy and kept to himself a bit. Having a few countrymen might make him more comfortable on top of a real chance to win.

Personally I'd like to see Burakovsky and Kuznetsov playing big minutes but if he comes at a reasonable rate cause it won't be "cheap" ESP if he still has that agent he had,he's a better option than most IMO.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Well we don't have a major sample size these days but he played his butt off here and has question marks about his motivation. Maybe it's money? I do remember after the one year deals he used to receive he was usually trying to get that multi year deal.
Isn't that the opposite of what was reported? I thought I remember McPhee stating it was Semin's camp that preferred the one year deals.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Isn't that the opposite of what was reported? I thought I remember McPhee stating it was Semin's camp that preferred the one year deals.

Yep. This is correct. GMGM stated at least a couple times that they wanted to sign Semin for more than one year but that he wanted one year deals.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011

I thought he ultimately left because Ovi and Nick (Laich too) got sweetheart long term deals and his agent suggested the first one year deal because we were cap crunched.

I do remember his last year being bad and that also led to his departure. I think we all knew there was no way to afford him either way.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I always thought it was the caps wanted one year deals but maybe your right.

Can't imagine why, from a team perspective it makes no sense to sign a young guy like that year to year. The only guys you typically sign to a one year deal are guys you're not sure have anything left in the tank. Semin was essentially just waiting for a breakout year so he could then leverage that into a fat money/long term deal... problem with that mindset is you actually need to show up for the full year to trick the team into giving you one of those and Sasha couldn't even get it together for that.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Thank goodness Semin's camp wanted one year deals.

I read the reports but obviously he signed that monster contract in Carolina. Though I'm kinda feeling like Rutherford is just a fool and threw as much money as it took at him.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Can't imagine why, from a team perspective it makes no sense to sign a young guy like that year to year. The only guys you typically sign to a one year deal are guys you're not sure have anything left in the tank. Semin was essentially just waiting for a breakout year so he could then leverage that into a fat money/long term deal... problem with that mindset is you actually need to show up for the full year to trick the team into giving you one of those and Sasha couldn't even get it together for that.

Makes sense. I could have sworn they were worried that a long term deal would make him become lazy. Maybe that was just my opinion warping my thoughts though

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I read the reports but obviously he signed that monster contract in Carolina. Though I'm kinda feeling like Rutherford is just a fool and threw as much money as it took at him.

I'm thinking early on in his career he was bank rolling on having a career year with his 1 year scheme and then leveraging that into an ungodly contract. When that never came and the Caps said "So long Sasha!" He, or his agent had a come to Jesus moment and realized perhaps their perspective on contracts was flawed given his streaky production.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Stafford back to WPG. 2 years $8.7 million.

Very good deal for them.

Uh, if 30 year old (in Oct.) Drew Stafford is getting $4.35 million per after back-to-back seasons of 34 and 43 points respectively, what is 25 year old (in Oct.) Marcus Johansson gonna get with back to back seasons of 44 and 47.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
We're likely losing Fehr's 19 goals, Ward's 19 goals, Green's 10 from the back end...

This is a lot of lost production.

On a side note, take Semin at 1x4M or something similar. Can't really hurt.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Would we trade Mojo, Laich, Bowey, and a 1st for Kessel at $6M?

I always enjoy the "Take our garbage" angles a lot of these trade proposals offer. Would we make that offer? I'm sure we would. Would Toronto laugh at us? I hope they would.

"Here take a guy we're thinking about buying out, a guy who is streaky as all holy hell, a guy with no NHL minutes, and a first that will probably be a 20+ pick. "

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
That's the rumored asking price...1st, top prospect, good roster player, and salary dump.

Looks to me like it fits the bill. They could have a 3rd as well.

If thats the deal (i admit i haven't paid much attention to him) then sure definitely do that deal

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
We're likely losing Fehr's 19 goals, Ward's 19 goals, Green's 10 from the back end...

This is a lot of lost production.

On a side note, take Semin at 1x4M or something similar. Can't really hurt.

I agree in terms of Wardo and most importably Fehr because that's a ton of points coming from such a small part of the salary cap. In terms of Green I honestly think it might help to not have a guy out on that blue line who has lost his offensive touch but that his teammates seem to still think he has. I can't tell you how many open shots I saw Green pass up this season. I don't think hockey works in the Money Ball style, I don't think losing Green's offense equates to an offensive deficit but rather a potentially more realistic out look in terms of our offense.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Uh, if 30 year old (in Oct.) Drew Stafford is getting $4.35 million per after back-to-back seasons of 34 and 43 points respectively, what is 25 year old (in Oct.) Marcus Johansson gonna get with back to back seasons of 44 and 47.

That is why he needed to be traded for a goal scorer. This GM has certainly backed himself into a corner. Why has no one asked about what he plans to do to fill the lack of veteran production particularly in the goal dept?

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
I agree in terms of Wardo and most importably Fehr because that's a ton of points coming from such a small part of the salary cap. In terms of Green I honestly think it might help to not have a guy out on that blue line who has lost his offensive touch but that his teammates seem to still think he has. I can't tell you how many open shots I saw Green pass up this season. I don't think hockey works in the Money Ball style, I don't think losing Green's offense equates to an offensive deficit but rather a potentially more realistic out look in terms of our offense.

I disagree. Green created offense outside of his goal totals, and it won't easily be replaced. It will be felt by any fan who wasn't a Green hater.

Just saying we're losing a ton of offense between those three. Surely the development of Kuznetsov and Bura will get back some of that, but not all. We weren't good enough last year, and we're losing ~50 goals of production.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
That's the rumored asking price...1st, top prospect, good roster player, and salary dump.

Looks to me like it fits the bill. They could have a 3rd as well.

I'm thinking that prospect has to have a pretty high ceiling and the pick has to be potentially top 15 if that's really all they want.

At this point though if I'm GMBM I'm asking what the price of Patrice Bergeron in BOS is because apparently everything there has a price.

Olesky, Erskine, Rechlicz (sign and trade), Donald Brashear (out of retirement) for BOS first for the next 6 years, Rask and Bergeron :sarcasm:

I'm thinking Sweeney nearly dies with excitement at that offer.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I disagree. Green created offense outside of his goal totals, and it won't easily be replaced. It will be felt by any fan who wasn't a Green hater.

Just saying we're losing a ton of offense between those three. Surely the development of Kuznetsov and Bura will get back some of that, but not all. We weren't good enough last year, and we're losing ~50 goals of production.

I just don't think there is a transitive property when it comes to offense in terms of hockey and the Blackhawks are a great example. Their teams lose major components after every cup and they adapt every season.

Losing Mike Green means maybe MoJo doesn't drop pass 50 million times a game, and maybe MG doesn't stand like a deer in the head lights when ever he has an open lane. It also means that maybe someone like Carlson steps up and takes those offensive reigns.

I feel like in the case of Mike Green this is addition via subtraction. He's no where near 2010 form. The guy is three broken sticks from a full psychotic break down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad