Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXX (2016 TDL Pre-Game Pt2)(2/29-Laich traded!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Yes.

Caps do not need such player, unless acquired for a song. Those are the types of players that the team has been trying it best to *remove" from the locker room.

not add.

I've never heard of him having an attitude problem, and he's clearly a hard working player.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
More of a low IQ issue IMO. Add to that he's an underperforming top pick fighting off the Bust label. Doesn't seem like a fit here.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I'm not sure why you associated my post with a bad attitude. Unless you didn't read the previous few before this one.

Yakupov seems a dim bulb. Caps don't need that, at all. We just got rid of most of our dim bulbs,

you said remove fron the locker room and when someone mentions lockerroom abilities its usually about their personality. When Laich was traded the biggest concern was his impact in the lockerroom, not his play on the ice.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm not sure why you associated my post with a bad attitude. Unless you didn't read the previous few before this one.

Yakupov seems a dim bulb. Caps don't need that, at all. We just got rid of most of our dim bulbs,

Once again, I don't buy that we just got rid of our "dim bulbs." There's still plenty of dim bulbs on this team. Bringing in Justin Williams helps in the hockey IQ department, but this team still has Carlson, Ovechkin, Burakovsky, Wilson, Chimera, Latta, Orlov, and Weber. At best, their moves have been largely IQ neutral.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Random question on the rash of ATO's being signed by draft picks....are they doing this now to avoid these players being exposed in an expansion draft?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Random question on the rash of ATO's being signed by draft picks....are they doing this now to avoid these players being exposed in an expansion draft?
That sounds like the case with Werenski just in case since they don't absolutely know what the final rules will be. They will end up signing him but they're not going to give him NHL games this year. The rest either need AHL time or the opportunity in the AHL first to decide whether they'll be signed.

Two of DiPauli's senior teammates signed yesterday (Fogarty & Lucia) with their teams so you'd think something with him would get done very soon.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Are they at the 50 limit yet with that Carlson kid signing?
They're fine since they don't kick in until next year. They're at 32 for next year with just 5 RFAs (Johansson, Orlov, Wilson, Herbert and Latta) and 13 UFAs. You'd figure Herbert won't be qualified but they'll need Hershey vets and the like.

Vogel tweeted that more college UFA signings were unlikely. Hershey is pretty full for now but they could use a D or yet more versatile forwards. Their forward prospects are more experienced now so adding more youth and speed wouldn't be a bad idea. It's not an overly deep class and there will be a long list of teams after Caggiula, Stecher, Tanev and a couple others but I'd hope they're at least trying. Sanford should stay at BC for at least another year and these types of signings can maybe compensate for dealt picks.

Last edited:

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
right, but his 2.5M wouldn't be a problem to put it under the cap for one year.

You realize we have Johansson/Orlov as RFAs, yes? And that the cap might not go up?

2.5M for a player who is a reclamation project while the Caps are up against the salary cap is absolutely a problem.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Clutterbuck's comments really aren't all that different from what the Capitals said after the Montreal series. Once that series got tight, the Capitals talked about "gripping their sticks too tightly" and other hockey phrases for the pressure getting to them.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Clutterbuck's comments really aren't all that different from what the Capitals said after the Montreal series. Once that series got tight, the Capitals talked about "gripping their sticks too tightly" and other hockey phrases for the pressure getting to them.

If a team can't handle the pressure of being 1st in the regular season, then that team won't win the Cup, it's that simple.

No matter what the standings are, every playoff team will feel the pressure to perform, because that's the nature of professional sports. Perform at the highest level of your sport with thousands of fans watching you.

I think the Caps should be thrilled. They're in the spotlight, it's their time to shine. The 2010 team was mentally weak, I don't think it's the case with the current iteration of the Caps and all its veteran leadership/playoff experience.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Once again, I don't buy that we just got rid of our "dim bulbs." There's still plenty of dim bulbs on this team. Bringing in Justin Williams helps in the hockey IQ department, but this team still has Carlson, Ovechkin, Burakovsky, Wilson, Chimera, Latta, Orlov, and Weber. At best, their moves have been largely IQ neutral.

Green was a nitwit. Period. I think Carlson is too. Wasn't so sure about Brouwer.

Kuznetsov, Williams, Oshie, Niskanen, Orpik are all heady players.

I don't agree w Ovy, Chimera, or Burakovsky.

Can't say yet about Orlov, Wilson, Latta, or Weber.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I think Ovechkin is now less vulnerable mentally. The biggest fail was in the Olympics, now he has experience in dealing with it (twice actually). Maybe his on ice maturation came from it too.

Hopefully, a little bit "let it come and stay with the flow (in what comes)". That should help to relieve pressure for him. I mean, what can be worse than losing in Sochi?

He should be confident in his teammates, coaching staff, Holtby. He will do what he can. I don't expect him melting.

Last year he did his thing in R2 G7. It was much much better than the previous G7 loss to Rangers (that one where they had an all time bad PP in the end of 3rd being 1 goal behind IIRC).

So I'm optimistic.

Backstrom looks not injured lately, Carlson too, Holtby's coming back to his level of confidence. I think beating Brodeur's record will instill confidence in every player in the room too. Seeing Holtby in parties with other core players (many photos available) make me thinking Braden is a big part of the locker (not some geek guy).

Lets go Caps!

PS: You just need one good internet doctor to watch playoffs. For everything else, there's MasterCard.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
http://www.russianmachineneverbreak...hate-to-be-the-washington-capitals-right-now/

Well, Cal Clutterbum would hate to be the Washington Capitals right now. Sure, because it's worse than playing for a fringe playoff team without its #1 goalie in a wildcard spot and with a losing record over the past 10 games :laugh:

He sounds so salty and jealous :laugh:

Sounds like a player who goes to the Playoffs with a win-win attitude. Doesn't mind playing some extra games but loves longer summers. Not the kind of guy you want playing in the Stanley Cup finals as he pretty much says that he hates playing under pressure.

He's going to re-sign with the Islanders.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Green was a nitwit. Period. I think Carlson is too. Wasn't so sure about Brouwer.

Kuznetsov, Williams, Oshie, Niskanen, Orpik are all heady players.

I don't agree w Ovy, Chimera, or Burakovsky.

Can't say yet about Orlov, Wilson, Latta, or Weber.

Can't say yet about Orlov? Have you watched him at all? He's making the same type of mistakes that you called Green a nitwit for, only even more frequently.

Burakovsky is probably the next worst offender in terms of terrible, dumb, inexcusable turnovers. He had one play on Monday where he fired a random, no-look one-touch pass at his own blueline, keeping the puck in his own zone. It's the type of play that would be lauded if he was a defenseman for the other team. And that's hardly the only time he's made massively risky plays with little potential for reward. Hopefully it's that he's young, but it's not an encouraging sign about his hockey sense.

Chimera is completely lost any time the play isn't "cycle endlessly" or "streak down the wing and crash the net in transition." He does his job effectively, but his job tends to be remarkably simple. Watching him try to gel with Kuznetsov last post-season was pretty hilarious. When Kuzy hit him in stride in transition it was great, but any time Kuzy tried to set up a prolonged offensive zone possession, Chimera was like a deer in headlights.

Wilson is similar to Chimera, though less effective and with more dimwit penalties. He used to be a cruise missile on the forecheck, but he was pretty much a puck chaser. He's been neutered lately, but it's not like he's replaced that forecheck tenacity with a newfound ability to read plays. And as I said before, dimwit penalties. Leading the league in penalties taken is not something to be proud of, even if some of them are reputation calls.

Weber is just atrocious in his ability to read plays and gap up properly. Not sure why you think he may be smart. Not sure what you're holding out for with Latta, either.

Ovie is massively talented and the team is immensely lucky to have him, but he's not a particularly smart hockey player. Watching him struggle through his slumps is pretty much proof of that, as he keeps trying the same things over and over again to no avail. How many times have you watched him skate in 1-on-3? Try the same move against defensemen that they learned to cover in 2011? Be completely out of position in the defensive zone?

I also think you overrate the hockey smarts of Oshie, Niskanen, and Orpik. They aren't dumb players, but they aren't particularly smart ones either. They also lost one of their smarter players in Joel Ward (albeit, replacing him with Williams is an upgrade in almost every department, including hockey IQ). This team still has plenty of dumb players, and I certainly don't see any trend away from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad