Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXX (2016 TDL Pre-Game Pt2)(2/29-Laich traded!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Posted this in the Skins thread, but this article also involves a potential new home for the Caps.

DC Government is laying out proposals for re-developoing the RFK site today, 6 proposals to be exact. Two of the proposals involves a new stadium for the Skins. Surprisingly a new arena for the Wiz/Caps is also part of 1 or more proposals:

D.C. officials plan to unveil an array of possibilities for the future of the RFK Stadium property Monday night, among them a new 65,000-seat Redskins stadium and a basketball and hockey venue capable of replacing Verizon Center.

All the proposals include a raft of suggested recreation facilities for a city with a booming population, among them playing fields, a field house, a water park and a sports-and-entertainment complex that officials likened to Chelsea Piers in Manhattan.

Two of the six proposals, outlined by Events DC, the District’s sports-and-entertainment arm, lay out a path for the Redskins to return to the District, though serious obstacles remain should Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) and the D.C. Council move to reach a deal with owner Daniel M. Snyder.

Officials also said for the first time that they are considering the 190-acre riverfront property as a possible location for a 20,000-seat arena equipped to serve the Washington Wizards and Capitals.

Ted Leonsis, majority owner of those teams, has in recent years raised the prospect of relocating when their Verizon Center lease expires in 2027 — the same year Snyder’s lease expires at FedEx Field, where the Redskins began play in 1997.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...tml?hpid=hp_local-news_rfk-9am:homepage/story

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
That's weird, Ted owns (most of) both the team and the stadium. What does the lease term have to do with anything? They should be able to extend or terminate whenever it's convenient.

Also, has anyone been to a new stadium recently? What does it have that VC doesn't? I'm curious because VC seems very well maintained, and it's not immediately obvious to me why it would only have 11 years of life left.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Caps pay $10 to DC Gov for EACH ticket sold as part of the deal Pollin made to get the last $50 mil for the arena. That lasts as long as they're in the building. Leonsis wants badly to escape that revenue leak. 2027 is a long way off. It's already showing its age. By then it'll be a no brainier to move IMO. That lease is for/with the DC gov to lock them in.

Love the idea of a sports complex. Been to places like Denver and I like the feel.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
That's weird, Ted owns (most of) both the team and the stadium. What does the lease term have to do with anything? They should be able to extend or terminate whenever it's convenient.

Also, has anyone been to a new stadium recently? What does it have that VC doesn't? I'm curious because VC seems very well maintained, and it's not immediately obvious to me why it would only have 11 years of life left.

I'd bet the biggest issue is capacity. Caps are a huge draw, Wiz hoping to become one, adding the AFL team, and of course other events like concerts, etc. They probably want more seats.

Plus the city has a big stake here. Verizon center turned Penn Quarter into a hugely hot part of town. In theory, the redev at RFK could do the same and the Skins, as big a draw as they are, only play once a week and what... max 10 times a year? Having Caps/Wiz/AFL there makes it much more vibrant year-round.

EDIT: or maybe AFL/Mystics stay at Verizon and the city has 2 nice venues...? :dunno:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Capacity may be secondary. What are they going to add 1500-2000 more seats? That would put them top 5-top 3 in capacity.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Capacity may be secondary. What are they going to add 1500-2000 more seats? That would put them top 5-top 3 in capacity.

Ah, was typing my reply and didn't see your post about revenue sharing with the city. Very interesting. I do wonder what happens to Verizon in that case. Knock it down and build something new? Use it for AFL? It's definitely still the anchor for that area even though the other businesses are well established now.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Sucks because the area around VC has grown up nicely. Local business owners will struggle, I guess relocate to the new area? Tear it down I guess. I wonder if Leonsis owns the land or just the building. The land would be a nice revenue chunk in a sale.

Two tenants would make it a little easier to upkeep. Maybe Le0nsis just sells the arena to a 3rd party and let's them deal with DC Gov.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Sucks because the area around VC has grown up nicely. Local business owners will struggle, I guess relocate to the new area? Tear it down I guess. I wonder if Leonsis owns the land or just the building. The land would be a nice revenue chunk in a sale.

Two tenants would make it a little easier to upkeep. Maybe Le0nsis just sells the arena to a 3rd party and let's them deal with DC Gov.

Yeah, when I'm in town working my office is right there, and honestly, the whole area is packed during the day. And the after-work scene is also very active. If some sort of entertainment venue or venues goes in the VC's place, Penn Quarter should be okay.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Interesting about the $10/ticket bit, I didn't know that. VC was one of the last city-friendly stadium deals, and that ticket revenue adds to the pot for DC. Considering what the city put up for the Nats and United, I cringe a little at what potentially two new stadiums are going to cost the DC taxpayers.

On the area development side, the RFK site is a no-go. There is almost no commercial land over there, it's all single family residential.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Interesting about the $10/ticket bit, I didn't know that. VC was one of the last city-friendly stadium deals, and that ticket revenue adds to the pot for DC. Considering what the city put up for the Nats and United, I cringe a little at what potentially two new stadiums are going to cost the DC taxpayers.

On the area development side, the RFK site is a no-go. There is almost no commercial land over there, it's all single family residential.

Wouldn't be so sure about that. A lot of investors have been buying up that land in anticipation of precisely this happening.

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
I'd bet the biggest issue is capacity. Caps are a huge draw, Wiz hoping to become one, adding the AFL team, and of course other events like concerts, etc. They probably want more seats.

Plus the city has a big stake here. Verizon center turned Penn Quarter into a hugely hot part of town. In theory, the redev at RFK could do the same and the Skins, as big a draw as they are, only play once a week and what... max 10 times a year? Having Caps/Wiz/AFL there makes it much more vibrant year-round.

EDIT: or maybe AFL/Mystics stay at Verizon and the city has 2 nice venues...? :dunno:

Mystics are moving to St Elizabeths in 2018, so the rest of the tenants will be in place for the duration. I think it would be a huge mistake to move the teams out of such a great, metro accessible location.

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
Wouldn't be so sure about that. A lot of investors have been buying up that land in anticipation of precisely this happening.

What land? The proposed stadium area is under National Park Service control, across the street on two sides are single family row houses, on the third side is the Anacostia River and on the 4th side is the DC General Hospital and jail complex - city owned.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006

I'm not saying it 100% can't happen, but there isn't much precedent for bulldozing healthy existing neighborhoods around here. That's why we're one of the few East Coast cities that 95 doesn't run through.

The political capital it would take to get those houses rezoned would be staggering.

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
I'm not saying it 100% can't happen, but there isn't much precedent for bulldozing healthy existing neighborhoods around here. That's why we're one of the few East Coast cities that 95 doesn't run through.

The political capital it would take to get those houses rezoned would be staggering.

There is simply no way those row house blocks would get rezoned. Zero.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'd comfortably take Carlson and Niskanen over Alzner.

Tough choice but no shame in being 3rd for Alzner. I agree. I penciled that kid in for 10 years when he was drafted. He should retire a Cap and will probably be what, the 2nd best defensive D of all time behind Langway in DC when all is said and done?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
There is simply no way those row house blocks would get rezoned. Zero.

So, let me get this straight. You think they drafted these massive proposals without considering how it would effect housing?

I bet the city falls all over itself to make this happen, and they are in a position to leverage something in the process. That part of town is ripe for gentrification (for good or ill) and a couple of blocks of row houses will be a small price to pay. The stadium developers will have to build some affordable type housing somewhere else is all. Same thing that happened around Nats Park.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I bet the city falls all over itself to make this happen, and they are in a position to leverage something in the process. That part of town is ripe for gentrification (for good or ill) and a couple of blocks of row houses will be a small price to pay. The stadium developers will have to build some affordable type housing somewhere else is all. Same thing that happened around Nats Park.

Yup, no question.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
In terms of performance vs. cap hit, Alzner is probably going to be unmatched, long term.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I think the idea of all Washington sports in one area would be awesome, I'm more curious if Dan Snyder would be down with that. Ted would basically own the majority of stake in the joint area while Snyder would have the massive draw.

I also didn't know Verizon was such a money sink for Ted, 10 dollars per ticket is actually pretty ridiculous when you think of how often that place is full.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think the idea of all Washington sports in one area would be awesome, I'm more curious if Dan Snyder would be down with that. Ted would basically own the majority of stake in the joint area while Snyder would have the massive draw.

I also didn't know Verizon was such a money sink for Ted, 10 dollars per ticket is actually pretty ridiculous when you think of how often that place is full.

For $50 mil Pollin gave away a good chunk of the future revenues he knew he wouldn't around to see and knew it would be someone else's problem. His goal was to get the thing built at all costs. It was his legacy.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006

No, stanleycaps is right, redevelopment of the neighborhoods around RFK isn't happening. It is politically untenable. We can't talk politics here so I won't get into the specifics, but it would be political and career suicide for any zoning board or city council member to vote in favor of redeveloping a successful working middle class neighborhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad