Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXX (2016 TDL Pre-Game Pt2)(2/29-Laich traded!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The Caps moving out of Chinatown would be far from awesome. It's one of the best-located arenas in the country as is.

yeah, now. But was an island when it opened. So would be the new one, but if it has the same impact on the neighborhood it could be prettygreat. Pretty metro accessible (less so, I know) but still not too bad. If metro is shutting whole sections of system down anyway, :facepalm: they can expand that station, maybe.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
yeah, now. But was an island when it opened. So would be the new one, but if it has the same impact on the neighborhood it could be prettygreat. Pretty metro accessible (less so, I know) but still not too bad. If metro is shutting whole sections of system down anyway, :facepalm: they can expand that station, maybe.

Have to say I get some pretty hilarious flash backs when I go to a game as to just how bad that area was back when i was hitting up the old 9:30 club on F street in the late 80s early 90s.

97c3e319e41e536b3ce4d5ed110e6686.jpg

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Can't say yet about Orlov? Have you watched him at all? He's making the same type of mistakes that you called Green a nitwit for, only even more frequently.

Burakovsky is probably the next worst offender in terms of terrible, dumb, inexcusable turnovers. He had one play on Monday where he fired a random, no-look one-touch pass at his own blueline, keeping the puck in his own zone. It's the type of play that would be lauded if he was a defenseman for the other team. And that's hardly the only time he's made massively risky plays with little potential for reward. Hopefully it's that he's young, but it's not an encouraging sign about his hockey sense.

Chimera is completely lost any time the play isn't "cycle endlessly" or "streak down the wing and crash the net in transition." He does his job effectively, but his job tends to be remarkably simple. Watching him try to gel with Kuznetsov last post-season was pretty hilarious. When Kuzy hit him in stride in transition it was great, but any time Kuzy tried to set up a prolonged offensive zone possession, Chimera was like a deer in headlights.

Wilson is similar to Chimera, though less effective and with more dimwit penalties. He used to be a cruise missile on the forecheck, but he was pretty much a puck chaser. He's been neutered lately, but it's not like he's replaced that forecheck tenacity with a newfound ability to read plays. And as I said before, dimwit penalties. Leading the league in penalties taken is not something to be proud of, even if some of them are reputation calls.

Weber is just atrocious in his ability to read plays and gap up properly. Not sure why you think he may be smart. Not sure what you're holding out for with Latta, either.

Ovie is massively talented and the team is immensely lucky to have him, but he's not a particularly smart hockey player. Watching him struggle through his slumps is pretty much proof of that, as he keeps trying the same things over and over again to no avail. How many times have you watched him skate in 1-on-3? Try the same move against defensemen that they learned to cover in 2011? Be completely out of position in the defensive zone?

I also think you overrate the hockey smarts of Oshie, Niskanen, and Orpik. They aren't dumb players, but they aren't particularly smart ones either. They also lost one of their smarter players in Joel Ward (albeit, replacing him with Williams is an upgrade in almost every department, including hockey IQ). This team still has plenty of dumb players, and I certainly don't see any trend away from that.

I think you like to pick at my posts, as you tend to respond to almost all of them, in some disagreeing manner. So there is that. You'll give me a smarmy response now... but I can see it, as it happens far too often. Anyway....

Orlov is Green? That's a crystal ball. Orlov has played what...30% of the games Mike has? He's 24 vs 30? Come back to this in 2018.

Burakovsky is 20? You are concerned a 20yr old makes bad decisions? Shocker! Come back to this in 2019.

I will make the same argument for Wilson.

Chimera? He's not a skilled player, so of course he fumbles pucks and misses passes. You seem to assume that a heady player has to be skilled too. Not from where I sit. Chimera doesn't make a ton of boneheaded plays, he just isn't a massively skilled player. He's just really fast and chippy.

Ovy.. We all see what we want to see, let's leave it there.

You underrate Oshie, Niskanen, and Orpik. What more basis do I have to make that comment, than you do? None. Just as you don't either.

In the end, what new dumb player has GMBM added? And don't say Weber, as A) he's a bench player, and B) he's not stupid, just not skilled. Same as Chimera. GMBM hasn't added any dumb players...yet he's removed Brouwer and Green, and added Williams, Oshie, Niskanen, and Orpik.

I see more smart in, and dumb out.

But that's just me.

Last edited:

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
The team's focus hasn't been near the top for 2 months already, sure, Ovechkin doesn't had an ultra-elite hockey IQ, and young kids make a lot of mistakes, and Chimera is limited, but the players haven't put the effort they're capable of into the games for quite some time. And hockey smarts is but one of the player's qualities. Joel Ward is a very smart player, but he isn't nearly as good as Oshie IMO.

Blitzkrieg365

Jan 1, 2015
DMV
I will take Detroit, Boston, the Isles and Tampa over Philly. I think Philly is a dirty team that will play us hard and physical and while we would beat them, we would come out banged up.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
No, stanleycaps is right, redevelopment of the neighborhoods around RFK isn't happening. It is politically untenable. We can't talk politics here so I won't get into the specifics, but it would be political and career suicide for any zoning board or city council member to vote in favor of redeveloping a successful working middle class neighborhood.

Edit: Without getting into politics, I find it a little ridiculous that you guys are throwing around these absolutes by saying that it's impossible, politically untenable, career suicide, etc. when EventsDC released this proposal after meeting with DC officials. Yes, they'll have some negotiating to do but your head is in the sand if you think they'd release these proposals without getting some form of preliminary approval from those government officials. I also find it a little amusing that you think most residents of that neighborhood wouldn't want this to happen as it would bring tons of jobs (both temporary and permanent, increased revenue, increased property values, and every other good thing that happens to an urban location when a complex like this is developed.

Last edited:

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Edit: Without getting into politics, I find it a little ridiculous that you guys are throwing around these absolutes by saying that it's impossible, politically untenable, career suicide, etc. when EventsDC released this proposal after meeting with DC officials. Yes, they'll have some negotiating to do but your head is in the sand if you think they'd release these proposals without getting some form of preliminary approval from those government officials. I also find it a little amusing that you think most residents of that neighborhood wouldn't want this to happen as it would bring tons of jobs (both temporary and permanent, increased revenue, increased property values, and every other good thing that happens to an urban location when a complex like this is developed.

I'm not saying they can't build a stadium on the RFK land, they absolutely can. The problem is that the surrounding land is built out, so you won't get the same kind of redevelopment halo effect we got with Verizon. Chinatown was underdeveloped 20 years ago, but the stadium area is not.

For that reason I'd rather see a new stadium in Ivy City or some other underdeveloped area with growth potential.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

You know I agree that it's very possible, even probable. But the economic benefits to locals is IMO much more uncertain. There's lots of data that says stadiums and such as a mixed bag at best. Even Verizon, which no doubt changed Penn Quarter for the better, didn't do much for those who were there before.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
I also find it a little amusing that you think most residents of that neighborhood wouldn't want this to happen as it would bring tons of jobs (both temporary and permanent, increased revenue, increased property values, and every other good thing that happens to an urban location when a complex like this is developed.

I agree with you, but don't underestimate the amount of complaining that people do about anything.

Some will not want the hustle and bustle. Some will not want the traffic. Some will not want the drunk idiots. Some will not want the noise. Some hate the Redskins. Some don't want to move. Some don't want their neighborhood restaurant to go out of business. Some don't want to live near bars or restaurants. Some residents won't be able to look past those things to see any increase in property values or increase in jobs that they would never have.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I agree with you, but don't underestimate the amount of complaining that people do about anything.

Some will not want the hustle and bustle. Some will not want the traffic. Some will not want the drunk idiots. Some will not want the noise. Some hate the Redskins. Some don't want to move. Some don't want their neighborhood restaurant to go out of business. Some don't want to live near bars or restaurants. Some residents won't be able to look past those things to see any increase in property values or increase in jobs that they would never have.

Certainly. You're never going to please everyone. If you tried to make everyone happy you'd never see any progression.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Important thing to remember about the proposed future of the RFK site, the land is owned by the Federal Government. For that reason alone nothing is certain. :nod:

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Assuming Backstrom is back next game, I wouldn't mind Trotz trying:

8-19-77
25-92-14
65-90-83/43
26-10-83/43

Or

8-92-77
25-19-14
65-90-83/43
26-10-83/43

Our offence has been struggling lately, and our second line can't find that back of the net.

I think Trotz can be a little less worried about the top line for a while. Ovi seems to have switched on and I think Ovi and Oshie have found some good chemistry together the last few games. We also know that both Kuzy and Mojo can make that a scoring line, so there's ample scope to get Ovi and Oshie going if the Backstrom variant goes cold again. That said, Backstrom's relative lack of speed might be one of the reasons that trio hasn't been clicking lately, when the Kuzy 2nd and MoJo 3rd lines utilise speed so well. Backstrom's such a good two-way player, I wouldn't mind him spending some time on the 3rd line if needed. 25-19-83/43 could be a scary line, but I don't think moving Backstrom out of the top six is anyone's aim here.

Bura is becoming a better and better player all round - yet has an eight (?) game pointless streak. The second line that's been so dominant and a real driving force has gone cold, just as 25-90-43 did. So far Bura has only been centered in the top six by Kuzy and Backstrom, and somehow those lines just aren't clicking right now despite the urgency and chances being there from him.

So I'd try Bura on a 3rd scoring line with Marcus, who seems to have found his game again recently. Williams and Chimera seemed to work well for a game or two, and it's possible Kuzy's problem right now is that, as Bura's got more confident, they're both being too cute/creative with their passing and setups. Chimera might be a better receiver of creative passes, or force Kuzy back to a simpler game.

Wilson and Beagle are both playing very well, but only one of them is likely to generate scoring chances. Put Wilson with MoJo if you think MoJo can carry him again offensively and you want more scoring out of the 4th, or Beagle on third for more consistent offence and a mighty 4th checking/grinding line.

Either way, I think this team has great overall chemistry that so many different line combinations have worked this year. But with MoJo a more natural Center than winger (so I think it would be a waste to put him back to 2LW) I'm struggling to see any other way to get Bura scoring again if 65-92-14, 65-92-77, 65-19-14 and 65-19-77 aren't working at the moment.

These are the last opportunities to find out which lines can work and which don't. For example you really don't want to discover 8-19-14 is a dud during the playoffs. But equally if the top line struggled during the playoffs, I highly doubt Trotz would have tried 8-90-77 - yet the last few games have suggested Ovi and MoJo aren't a total disaster together after all.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'm not sure if I buy the offense is struggling narrative. They're just snakebit right now -- it happens. Going back to the Flyers loss, the Caps have hit 9 or 10 posts in 4 games. Their shooting percentage since the Pittsburgh waxing has been unsustainably low at 4.2%. During that stretch they have owned ES possession (55.5 CF%, and that's including a 46.0 game vs Ottawa) and ES scoring chances (56.2 SCF%). Their PDO has also been very low at 97.3.

If you are a person who trusts the process and trusts that the results will come with if they play "the right way," you should feel good knowing that the Caps have turned their game around and have been very unlucky down the stretch. In my opinion, this team is turning it on and the goals are going to come.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not sure if I buy the offense is struggling narrative. They're just snakebit right now -- it happens. Going back to the Flyers loss, the Caps have hit 9 or 10 posts in 4 games. Their shooting percentage since the Pittsburgh waxing has been unsustainably low at 4.2%. During that stretch they have owned ES possession (55.5 CF%, and that's including a 46.0 game vs Ottawa) and ES scoring chances (56.2 SCF%). Their PDO has also been very low at 97.3.

If you are a person who trusts the process and trusts that the results will come with if they play "the right way," you should feel good knowing that the Caps have turned their game around and have been very unlucky down the stretch. In my opinion, this team is turning it on and the goals are going to come.

That's what I kept chanting to myself against Montreal and Halak. ;)

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Didn't know where to put this, but its a pretty cool story:

Why I’ll never forget this moment with a Caps player in Edmonton 36 years ago

The Washington Capitals won the Presidents’ Trophy this season, and have established themselves as one of the NHL’s best franchises. But for me, it was the sad-sack Caps of the early days that provided one of the greatest memories of my life.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news..._local-news_sportsbog-caps-1pm:homepage/story

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
:cheer:

day = made

Loved Bengt.

How was it being a Caps fan during the "Save the Caps" era? It must've been awful knowing that your team was on the verge of relocation.

I became a Caps fan in 2006-2007, the last season they were wearing the eagle and black jerseys. It was nothing like the glory days that we're living now, but the Caps were a promising team.

People like to make fun of the Caps, but we're a devoted bunch.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Yeah great story.

I don't have any memory of Bengt as a Cap. It was Scott Stevens, Dino and Hatcher and that's it until the late 80s.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
How was it being a Caps fan during the "Save the Caps" era? It must've been awful knowing that your team was on the verge of relocation.

I became a Caps fan in 2006-2007, the last season they were wearing the eagle and black jerseys. It was nothing like the glory days that we're living now, but the Caps were a promising team.

People like to make fun of the Caps, but we're a devoted bunch.

Can't speak for the Caps, but I lived through the relocation of the Hartford Whalers and it sucked. I grew up in CT and relocated to MD as a teenager the same year the Whalers left. It was awful.

**** Karmanos and the Hurricanes.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
OV is "switched on right now" because Backstrom isn't on his line to drag him down. There I said it.

It's a common theme, OV produces more with a speedy center (MoJo or Kuzy) at 5v5 than he does with a slow one (Backstrom).

:popcorn:

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
OV is "switched on right now" because Backstrom isn't on his line to drag him down. There I said it.

It's a common theme, OV produces more with a speedy center (MoJo or Kuzy) at 5v5 than he does with a slow one (Backstrom).

:popcorn:

I'm not sure that's why he's been dekeing people and runing around crazy like, but I do agree with the idea he's better with speed instinct type players. Its why I wish we'd go back to 8 - 92 - 77 and than have 65 - 19 - 14 on the second line. Maybe swap Williams and Oshie, but either way Kuzya and Ovi is the money maker in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad